2020 headliners

jj200

4 minutes ago, incident said:

I can see U2 doing it again at some point, and also don't think that Fleetwood Mac potentially playing rules anyone else in or out, but right at this moment it doesn't look like the timing makes sense for 2020.

They're very much one of those bands that brings a whole operation with them as they want everything possible to be within their control. Last time around it was to the extent that they even brought their own TV director to supplant the regular one used by BBC. As a result, I can't see them doing Glastonbury as a "one off" as gearing up the whole machine would take a huge amount of time effort and money. If/when they do come back it'd probably have to be during or close to a tour or some other significant activity, and so far there's no indication that anything is going to happen next year.

I would certainly think they'd play as part of a larger tour, but I was thinking that they're likely to return to the road next year. They've got those Joshua Tree dates this December at the other side of the world so I could see that as a warm-up for a bigger tour next year in some shape or form.

They did Bonaroo not long ago didn’t they? (U2)

5 minutes ago, wishyboz6 said:

The xx deserve a shot at headlining the Friday ahead of Foals IMO. 

Them Arctic Monkeys and Fleetwood Mac would be pretty incredible. 

Whilst they played a fantastic set in 2017 and a great headline performance at Bestival, I’m gonna need another album before I even consider them Glastonbury headliners. I feel in my mind they’ve been cemented as a sub / other headline - i’d need something substantial from them to get me hyped for an XX pyramid headline set.

10 hours ago, wishyboz6 said:

The xx deserve a shot at headlining the Friday ahead of Foals IMO. 

Them Arctic Monkeys and Fleetwood Mac would be pretty incredible. 

This would actually be pretty perfect for me. Having only seen two Pyramids headliners in four festivals, I would more than double it in one go. And Foals subbing any of them would be great too :)

There should be a female headliner for sure, but I can't get excited about Taylor Swift. Gaga more so, but the XX would be dreamy. 

Edited by Sasperella

12 hours ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

The Kinks - there's decent info to suggest that they're getting back together, they were supposed to headline the first ever festival back in 1970 but didn't, so it would be quite poetic for them to headline the 50th anniversary. However, would they headline, or would they be more likely for a sub/legends slot. Or they might just do their own gigs and not play festivals at all.

This is such a great summary - good work!

This Kinks idea is great, and so fitting. Not sure they could headline as well as FM (although, what do I know), but a legends slot would be amazing (sorry Elton). Surely as a sub it would be VERY strong, no? Although entirely plausible that not everyone likes The Kinks as much as I do. 

Edited by Sasperella

Saw The xx headline All Points East last year, it was sublime and one of my favourite headline sets I've seen (although that may have had something to do with Liverpool losing to Madrid in the CL final...) - it was perfectly pitched and a wonderful vibe but not sure it'd work on the Pyramid. 

Can't see past the 1975 getting the nod next year. 

2 minutes ago, rawrsomesauce said:

Saw The xx headline All Points East last year, it was sublime and one of my favourite headline sets I've seen (although that may have had something to do with Liverpool losing to Madrid in the CL final...) - it was perfectly pitched and a wonderful vibe but not sure it'd work on the Pyramid. 

They subbed the Pyramid in 2017 before Radiohead. It was also sublime :) Definitely my favourite sub set (not that I can remember all of them....)!

Of all the things in the list, I would personally find The 1975 to be pretty disappointing. But I'd be at the Radiohead secret set so it'd be fine. 

Edited by Sasperella

11 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I'm a fan of the Arctic Monkeys but there are so many acts I'd rather see get a shot at headlining before they are wheeled out again.

Somehow, I've never seen them...mostly through a bit of bad luck and poor planning on my part. But while they would be amazing for me, I can definitely appreciate that other people might fancy something a tad more exciting. Like, Fleetwood mac maybe! And a swap in of Foals for AM?

I wonder if folk would consider Foals -The XX - Fleetwood Mac to be a weak trio?

Edited by Sasperella

9 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I'm a fan of the Arctic Monkeys but there are so many acts I'd rather see get a shot at headlining before they are wheeled out again.

I agree, I still love them from back in the day but never seen them at Glastonbury. I hope they wait 10 years at least though between appearances, I'd hate for them to get lumped in with coldplay and muse.

Also everyone round here already seems to dislike them so cant be arsed with the added eyerolls with them coming back so quickly ahah.

13 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

I wonder if folk would consider Foals -The XX - Fleetwood Mac to be a weak trio?

They Could have Led Zeppelin, Oasis reform and Fleetwood Mac and there would probably still be Facebook comments saying "What a weak line up"

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

To me that would scream that all the money was put into booking one band. 

Personally, I would love that trio but agree with Matt, Clearly all focus would have been put on the major booking.

7 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Yeh, I guess thats true...

I reckon one bump up (The XX), one regular (AMs) and one pee-your-pants-with-anticipation (FM) seems like a good balance. 

But for the love of god, please not The Kings of Leon!

3 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Maybe but at least none of them are Rihanna.

Rihanna would be a better headliner than foals to me. I personally don’t see what Foals have done to warrant this bump up that everyone thinks they deserve. I’d argue they are even smaller than they were in 2016.

27 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Yet again... there is a standard fee. Imagine the negotiation...

"Hi guys! We want you to headline this year, but would you mind taking £100k less than we usually pay our headliners so we can get Fleetwood Mac in? Guys? …. Guys?"

28 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Yet again... there is a standard fee. Imagine the negotiation...

"Hi guys! We want you to headline this year, but would you mind taking £100k less than we usually pay our headliners so we can get Fleetwood Mac in? Guys? …. Guys?"

There is a 'standard fee' but in fairness there has been variation on that fee in the past, (and the fee would go up over the years) so I don't think Matt is wrong to think that's possible.

Edited by strummer77