2020 headliners

jj200

13 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

We were right down the front for the first 4/5 songs but left as it was getting a bit heavy, plus I needed the loo. Watched the rest from up the Grande Boeuff stall and had a great time. Plenty of space, could see/hear perfectly and easy access to cider.

Yeah easy to do that when you're not on your own, but getting back to my mates would have been impossible and I didn't fancy watching on my own. Where we were stood had plenty of space though.

Did Grande Boeuffe used to be in Pyramid field? Thought it was always in West Holts.

2 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yeah easy to do that when you're not on your own, but getting back to my mates would have been impossible and I didn't fancy watching on my own. Where we were stood had plenty of space though.

Did Grande Boeuffe used to be in Pyramid field? Thought it was always in West Holts.

There used to be two. One in WH and one on the corner facing into the Pyramid field opposite the  bar next to the Cider Bus. Probably the most expensive plot on the site I’d guess as this year it had been replaced with a rather expensive looking pizza/pasta place.

18 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

There used to be two. One in WH and one on the corner facing into the Pyramid field opposite the  bar next to the Cider Bus. Probably the most expensive plot on the site I’d guess as this year it had been replaced with a rather expensive looking pizza/pasta place.

Ah yeah, now you say that it does ring a vague bell...

I honestly think some of the tribute acts would do a better job than a reformed Oasis or The Smiths (I'm not sure Morrissey could ever redeem himself now and the others wouldn't go near that for fear of damaging their own legacies anyway) LIam Gallagher already seems like a shit Oasis tribute act. 

2 hours ago, Mouseboy11 said:

Please no, I don’t think this forum can handle another year of Gazza rambling about Foals

I'm still blocked from all that so you don't have to worry there!

If he's referring to Neil's hunch that they're first-reserve then that's something I actually agree with. But I don't think it's a case of "nah they're subbing", because we know that they're going big on Madonna and we also know that Madonna is going to give them a big 'hell no' down the line. As much of a gimme as being Prince's first-reserve back in the day.

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

As much of a gimme as being Prince's first-reserve back in the day.

Tom from Kasabian texting Prince links to the 2014 headliner thread going "peep them Eavises leaking your name to these dweebs to sell tickets, you gonna take that shit?", in between becoming involved in road accidents where his dad gets knocked over.

4 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Tom from Kasabian texting Prince links to the 2014 headliner thread going "peep them Eavises leaking your name to these dweebs to sell tickets, you gonna take that shit?", in between becoming involved in road accidents where his dad gets knocked over.

It was Jake Bugg spreading the word around town. He was four steps ahead.

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

It was Jake Bugg spreading the word around town. He was four steps ahead.

Just like Christian Bale was four steps ahead of Bradley Cooper in American Hustle, then Bradley Cooper was four steps away from me in Strummerville.

Now that the sports are over...

Thought I'd try to list all of the potential headliners for next year, including any rumours/info we've got as well as anything that could be used as a case against each act. Tried to order them somewhat from most to least likely. Apologies if I've missed any major act/got any info wrong/missed any info.

Fleetwood Mac - comments made at Wembley, someone on the farm who's ITK supposedly said they've been booked for next year. However, they've famously been out of Glastonbury's price range, what's to say that'll change for next year.

Foals - supposedly 'in the frame' to headline next year, could follow in The Killers footsteps by headlining after doing a big secret set. However, they're not really any bigger than they were in 2016 when they subbed - who's to say they won't be given that slot again rather than the headline gig.

Elton John - he's currently on his final mega tour which was clearly planned very far in advance, so could have been booked a while ago which would allude to the rumour that some 2020 headliners were booked a year or so ago. However, he's never played the festival before - maybe he's just not that bothered about playing Glastonbury.

The 1975 - probably the biggest British band to come out of this decade, make the most sense of any 'new' artist to get the gig, Emily seemed interested in Matty's comments about wanting to headline the festival, another album is on its way later this year. However, they're headlining R&L this year and its rare for an act to headline Glastonbury the year after. Not impossible, though.

Neil Young - Michael made comments about Neil Young coming back next year. However, Michael talks a lot of shite.

Coldplay - friends of the festival, obvious, easy deal to make, crowd pleasing, Emily loves them, Chris Martin was popping up all over this year, 2020 will be the 20 year anniversary of their debut. However, they last headlined in 2016 and currently haven't released any new material since then, is it too soon for them to return?

Arctic Monkeys - they're a safe bet, they've released 2 albums since they last headlined (with a third potentially on its way) and it's been 7 years which is long enough by Muse and Coldplay's standards. However, there's no guarantee that they're going to be active next summer.

Kendrick Lamar - Emily was at his gig last year and sang his praises, likely to be active with new material next summer. However, is he too expensive? He was rumoured to be R&L's most expensive booking ever back in 2018, will he take Glastonbury's low pay?

Lady Gaga - her Vegas residency will have ended by then, likely to have new material out in the next year, her stock has risen a fair bit due to ASIB, played back in 2009 so she knows the festival. However, it might be too soon after her Vegas residency to have a new show ready to tour and she might not be active over the summer months.

Blur - they're friends of the festival, would be a popular booking with the masses. However, there's no guarantee they're gonna be active next summer and there was a poster on here suggesting that they're not gonna play Glastonbury again.

Beyoncé - potentially gonna have new material out in the next year, would be a popular booking with the masses, she's a huge superstar and would be a welcome returning headliner. However, would she need/want to do it again? There's also no guarantee she'll be active next summer.

The Kinks - there's decent info to suggest that they're getting back together, they were supposed to headline the first ever festival back in 1970 but didn't, so it would be quite poetic for them to headline the 50th anniversary. However, would they headline, or would they be more likely for a sub/legends slot. Or they might just do their own gigs and not play festivals at all.

Kings of Leon - rumoured to be playing Pilton Party, which usually results in a big booking at the following festival. However, would they really be at the top of the list given all the other options? Perhaps a secret set would be more likely.

Taylor Swift - was potentially spotted at the festival this year by @CaledonianGonzo, new album is on its way and her stock has arguably dropped somewhat which could make her a more feasible headliner than she was a couple of years ago. However, she's never wanted to do festivals in the past and there's nothing as of yet to suggest that this has changed.

Ariana Grande - a very current, big star, likely to be active next year. However, would she want to headline Glastonbury at this point in her career? She certainly doesn't need to.

Florence & the Machine - could have a new album out by next summer and would be 5 years since she last headlined, which is just about long enough, she's a friend of the festival and would be an easy, safe booking. However, might be a tad too soon to return and likely won't be at the top of the list of options.

AC/DC - looking likely that they're getting back together with a new album and tour. However, they're gonna be way out of Glastonbury's price range - it's unlikely they'd take the pay cut, probably will stick to their own shows instead.

Madonna - they're clearly eager to book her, she's likely going to be active over the summer. However, she's always been too expensive and that's unlikely to change next year.

Paul McCartney - could the fuss about him playing this year actually have been miscommunication about him really playing in 2020? However, Neil seems to have it on good authority that he's not booked for next year.

U2 - do they have unfinished business with the festival that they want to try and resolve? However, they may not be active next summer and they may see Glastonbury as a 'been there, done that' gig.

R.E.M - wasn't there some whispers about a potential reunion? However, these are just whispers. Probably nothing.

Radiohead - @parsonjack spoke to someone close to the festival who reckons they're booked for next year. However, this seems far too soon to return since 2017, likely to have no new material out since then and probably not even going to be active next summer.

Kate Bush - one can dream.

If we're covering everyone then Bruce Springsteen's touring next year @SomeoneListeningIn

I'm feeling U2 again. I'm all about that unfinished business. I only chucked them out bc I thought Beyoncé and U2 in the same year would be too much like 2011 (particularly if Chris Martin popped up in Beyoncé's set), but now I think they're after Madonna and I don't think they'd attempt to book Madonna and Beyoncé in one year.

1 hour ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Now that the sports are over...

Thought I'd try to list all of the potential headliners for next year, including any rumours/info we've got as well as anything that could be used as a case against each act. Tried to order them somewhat from most to least likely. Apologies if I've missed any major act/got any info wrong/missed any info.

Fleetwood Mac - comments made at Wembley, someone on the farm who's ITK supposedly said they've been booked for next year. However, they've famously been out of Glastonbury's price range, what's to say that'll change for next year.

Foals - supposedly 'in the frame' to headline next year, could follow in The Killers footsteps by headlining after doing a big secret set. However, they're not really any bigger than they were in 2016 when they subbed - who's to say they won't be given that slot again rather than the headline gig.

Elton John - he's currently on his final mega tour which was clearly planned very far in advance, so could have been booked a while ago which would allude to the rumour that some 2020 headliners were booked a year or so ago. However, he's never played the festival before - maybe he's just not that bothered about playing Glastonbury.

The 1975 - probably the biggest British band to come out of this decade, make the most sense of any 'new' artist to get the gig, Emily seemed interested in Matty's comments about wanting to headline the festival, another album is on its way later this year. However, they're headlining R&L this year and its rare for an act to headline Glastonbury the year after. Not impossible, though.

Neil Young - Michael made comments about Neil Young coming back next year. However, Michael talks a lot of shite.

Coldplay - friends of the festival, obvious, easy deal to make, crowd pleasing, Emily loves them, Chris Martin was popping up all over this year, 2020 will be the 20 year anniversary of their debut. However, they last headlined in 2016 and currently haven't released any new material since then, is it too soon for them to return?

Arctic Monkeys - they're a safe bet, they've released 2 albums since they last headlined (with a third potentially on its way) and it's been 7 years which is long enough by Muse and Coldplay's standards. However, there's no guarantee that they're going to be active next summer.

Kendrick Lamar - Emily was at his gig last year and sang his praises, likely to be active with new material next summer. However, is he too expensive? He was rumoured to be R&L's most expensive booking ever back in 2018, will he take Glastonbury's low pay?

Lady Gaga - her Vegas residency will have ended by then, likely to have new material out in the next year, her stock has risen a fair bit due to ASIB, played back in 2009 so she knows the festival. However, it might be too soon after her Vegas residency to have a new show ready to tour and she might not be active over the summer months.

Blur - they're friends of the festival, would be a popular booking with the masses. However, there's no guarantee they're gonna be active next summer and there was a poster on here suggesting that they're not gonna play Glastonbury again.

Beyoncé - potentially gonna have new material out in the next year, would be a popular booking with the masses, she's a huge superstar and would be a welcome returning headliner. However, would she need/want to do it again? There's also no guarantee she'll be active next summer.

The Kinks - there's decent info to suggest that they're getting back together, they were supposed to headline the first ever festival back in 1970 but didn't, so it would be quite poetic for them to headline the 50th anniversary. However, would they headline, or would they be more likely for a sub/legends slot. Or they might just do their own gigs and not play festivals at all.

Kings of Leon - rumoured to be playing Pilton Party, which usually results in a big booking at the following festival. However, would they really be at the top of the list given all the other options? Perhaps a secret set would be more likely.

Taylor Swift - was potentially spotted at the festival this year by @CaledonianGonzo, new album is on its way and her stock has arguably dropped somewhat which could make her a more feasible headliner than she was a couple of years ago. However, she's never wanted to do festivals in the past and there's nothing as of yet to suggest that this has changed.

Ariana Grande - a very current, big star, likely to be active next year. However, would she want to headline Glastonbury at this point in her career? She certainly doesn't need to.

Florence & the Machine - could have a new album out by next summer and would be 5 years since she last headlined, which is just about long enough, she's a friend of the festival and would be an easy, safe booking. However, might be a tad too soon to return and likely won't be at the top of the list of options.

AC/DC - looking likely that they're getting back together with a new album and tour. However, they're gonna be way out of Glastonbury's price range - it's unlikely they'd take the pay cut, probably will stick to their own shows instead.

Madonna - they're clearly eager to book her, she's likely going to be active over the summer. However, she's always been too expensive and that's unlikely to change next year.

Paul McCartney - could the fuss about him playing this year actually have been miscommunication about him really playing in 2020? However, Neil seems to have it on good authority that he's not booked for next year.

U2 - do they have unfinished business with the festival that they want to try and resolve? However, they may not be active next summer and they may see Glastonbury as a 'been there, done that' gig.

R.E.M - wasn't there some whispers about a potential reunion? However, these are just whispers. Probably nothing.

Radiohead - @parsonjack spoke to someone close to the festival who reckons they're booked for next year. However, this seems far too soon to return since 2017, likely to have no new material out since then and probably not even going to be active next summer.

Kate Bush - one can dream.

This excited me far too much.

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

I'm feeling U2 again. I'm all about that unfinished business. I only chucked them out bc I thought Beyoncé and U2 in the same year would be too much like 2011 (particularly if Chris Martin popped up in Beyoncé's set), but now I think they're after Madonna and I don't think they'd attempt to book Madonna and Beyoncé in one year.

Just don't see it myself. Yeah they've got supposed unfinished business (or at least we think they do), but do they really give a shit? Unlike the Stones who went on to headline multiple festivals post-Glastonbury, they've continued to avoid them and stick to their own shows and I don't see them bothering to go out of their way to change that again just for Glastonbury, especially after having already delayed their first appearance by a year. They've done it. It's done. Was it perfect? Not at all, but also not due to any fault of theirs. 

Also I'm firmly in the 'Fleetwood are booked' boat so two of them in one year would be ridiculous, even for the 50th. Fleetwood Mac are the big celebratory booking that they've finally managed to snag after all these years - everything else will be same as most years.

outside suggestion for smaller/budget/Friday headliner: The xx

summer 2020 will be 3.5 years since their last album, British, female-fronted, already headlined Other and subbed Pyramid, another album with a couple of big mainstream singles could be enough to push them up.

obviously they're not as big as typical headliners, but if GFL can shave a few hundred thousand off a headliner fee by booking them, and putting it towards a megastar, it might be possible. I think they're as likely as Florence, who probably won't have a new album out by then. I don't think they're that far behind Foals or The 1975 either, although both of them have the advantage of albums out already...

It's quite possible though that it'll be after 2020's festival that their album comes out, so probably more likely for 2021.

Edited by ghostdancer1

3 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

outside suggestion for smaller/budget/Friday headliner: The xx

summer 2020 will be 3.5 years since their last album, British, female-fronted, already headlined Other and subbed Pyramid, another album with a couple of big mainstream singles could be enough to push them up.

obviously they're not as big as typical headliners, but if GFL can shave a few hundred thousand off a headliner fee by booking them, and putting it towards a megastar, it might be possible. I think they're as likely as Florence, who probably won't have a new album out by then. I don't think they're that far behind Foals or The 1975 either, although both of them have the advantage of albums out already...

It's quite possible though that it'll be after 2020's festival that their album comes out, so probably more likely for 2021.

Headliners get a flat fee, if the festival finds money to pay one a little more it doesn’t come out of the pocket of the others.

Some more. Bit more left field

Ariana Grande - A left field pop choice but there might be something to support it. Tour is likely to continue right through 2020. This tour she is currently on is a mix of festival headline slots and her own gigs. Wouldn’t be a case that there’s no festival set up ready. Also, surely she has to be on Emily’s radar somewhat. (OP didn’t seem that convinced so added more)

Rihanna - not much in the terms of evidence but there are rumours of a new album and potentially Coachella being in the frame. Would fit with the pop act coming out of nowhere that seems to happen every few years.

Pulp - Doubt they’d headline but imagine!!!

Guns and Roses - They seem to be in frame to do a series of Lolla gigs this year which is much lower than what they usually play.

Edited by Matt42

20 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Just don't see it myself. Yeah they've got supposed unfinished business (or at least we think they do), but do they really give a shit? Unlike the Stones who went on to headline multiple festivals post-Glastonbury, they've continued to avoid them and stick to their own shows and I don't see them bothering to go out of their way to change that again just for Glastonbury, especially after having already delayed their first appearance by a year. They've done it. It's done. Was it perfect? Not at all, but also not due to any fault of theirs. 

Also I'm firmly in the 'Fleetwood are booked' boat so two of them in one year would be ridiculous, even for the 50th. Fleetwood Mac are the big celebratory booking that they've finally managed to snag after all these years - everything else will be same as most years.

I think I’m quite a realist when it comes to predicting Glastonbury but I do actually think that the festival aims high and then settles. They wouldn’t knock back U2 because they have restricted themselves to one big name.

Also I could totally see U2 giving a shit about having a go at being the stars of the anniversary. I don’t think they’ve done many festivals since but there has been one or two, which shows that they’re open to it and honestly it’s a matter of time until they hit Werchter, Pinkpop, Mad Cool, etc. on a big festival tour

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

I think I’m quite a realist when it comes to predicting Glastonbury but I do actually think that the festival aims high and then settles. They wouldn’t knock back U2 because they have restricted themselves to one big name.

Also I could totally see U2 giving a shit about having a go at being the stars of the anniversary. I don’t think they’ve done many festivals since but there has been one or two, which shows that they’re open to it and honestly it’s a matter of time until they hit Werchter, Pinkpop, Mad Cool, etc. on a big festival tour

I can see U2 doing it again at some point, and also don't think that Fleetwood Mac potentially playing rules anyone else in or out, but right at this moment it doesn't look like the timing makes sense for 2020.

They're very much one of those bands that brings a whole operation with them as they want everything possible to be within their control. Last time around it was to the extent that they even brought their own TV director to supplant the regular one used by BBC. As a result, I can't see them doing Glastonbury as a "one off" as gearing up the whole machine would take a huge amount of time effort and money. If/when they do come back it'd probably have to be during or close to a tour or some other significant activity, and so far there's no indication that anything is going to happen next year.