2020 headliners

jj200

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Also - what is wrong with wanting big pop acts at Glastonbury? Some people really enjoy pop acts (myself included). Especially when the pop act gives it their all. In 2017 I got to see Radiohead and Katy Perry in the same weekend and it was fucking marvellous

Absolutely bang on.  Had great fun at KP's set, and enjoyed Kylie's newer stuff just as much as getting on board the nostalgia train. Like I said, good music is good music.

Feel I should make it clear that I'm not saying whether Swift should or shouldn't headline. Just that she's not someone I would put in a list if someone asked me to think of potential headliners!

Fast forward to June 2020 with me at the Pyramid barrier getting my groove on to Shake It Off :D

Just now, Cream Soda said:

I agree, nothing wrong with it and diversity is good but a headliner does need to have that certain "Je ne sais quoi", regardless of genre.  Whether Taylor, or anyone else, has that is down to personal taste I suppose.  

Well there's personal taste on one hand, but also her inarguable chart success and draw as a live act on the other.

6 minutes ago, Quark said:

Feel I should make it clear that I'm not saying whether Swift should or shouldn't headline. Just that she's not someone I would put in a list if someone asked me to think of potential headliners

I agree but for different reasons. Glasto HQ would probably contact her team. Her team would leave Glasto on read.

Edited by Matt42

15 minutes ago, Quark said:

See that's interesting. I would (and had) no issue with Bey headlining.  Not because I think she deserves it and Swift doesn't, or because I rate her more highly or anything like that, she just screamed "headliner" at me in a way that Swift doesn't.  And I can't tell you why!

For want of a better term, it's star quality. Whilst sales won't reflect it, I have always seen Rihanna as much more of a "star" than Taylor Swift.

Some people just have star quality, doesn't have to relect in sales or talent. Michael Buble sells out arenas, but he doesn't have star power. Liam Gallagher for example. He is a star, regardless of people's view of his music / talent.

Rihanna is a star. She does simple things, wears things and it makes news. More so than Taylor Swift.

That might be a load of crap, but it's the best way I can describe it.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

I agree but for different reasons. Glasto HQ would probably contact her team. Her team would leave Glasto on read.

Even with her career starting to head firmly off the boil? Playing Glastonbury next year is the smart move and if she's as canny an operator as she comes across then you'd have to notice which way the wind is blowing.

15 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Even with her career starting to head firmly off the boil? Playing Glastonbury next year is the smart move and if she's as canny an operator as she comes across then you'd have to notice which way the wind is blowing.

It’s not? She’s still charting very high in America and her tours still sell out. She ain’t bothered.

Edited by Matt42

Just now, Matt42 said:

It’s not? She’s still charting very high in America. She ain’t bothered.

Nah. She is for sure exiting her imperial phase.

Katy Perry’s And Taylor Swift’s Flops Are Bad News For Big Pop

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/amphtml/pdominguez/taylor-swift-katy-perry-boring-risk-taking-pop-music#aoh=15629321316547&amp_ct=1562932245612&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s

Whether or not that changes her POV on playing festivals is of course a different matter.

6 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Whether or not that changes her POV on playing festivals is of course a different matter.

“Hi Taylor. We’ve heard that you’re having a bit of a nosedive in your career. Fancy coming over to Pilton your career could really need it”

(all of these photos were taken in 2018).

5737F2EE-4B94-4C9E-814A-6C042F68C2D0.jpeg

B65C0CF7-0564-48A2-8E6C-B0E06CFE1F77.jpeg

A142BCDE-F1C5-4062-9703-AD9A1676528D.jpeg

Yes she might be exiting her chart imperial phase but her touring force is going nowhere.

Edited by Matt42

Me was her first lead single since Mine not to hit #1 in America. It’s certainly not at the ‘make or break’ stage yet where she should be panicking into begging TV festivals for slots, like Rihanna probably should. But her trajectory is undeniably headed in that general direction.

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

Let’s not forget that both her singles were blocked by old town road... which is set to break the record for most weeks at #1 in US charting history.

No one can compete with a song that young kids and grandmas are both streaming and purchasing.

I'm hoping EE's push for more women headlining and a 50/50 split on gender will result in Pink, Gaga or Taylor Swift being in one of the Pyramid headline slots for 2020.

I'm dreading Coldplay, Fleetwood Mac & Macca as headliners for 2020 (or any other 3-way male headliner split).

Edited by Penrhos

1 hour ago, gordong said:

Between her and the 1975, I’m not sure I’m out of touch or people are delusional. 

I’d take Swift over 1975 any day of the week. And I don’t like Swift, but do generally like men with guitars. Think Swift would be an awesome Pyramid headliner given the current direction of travel. Didn’t go to a Pyramid headliner this year, but I would’ve gone to Swift. 

Whenever people start applauding 1975 I assume they’ve got their CDs in the wrong boxes. Dross. 

Edit: But if we’re gonna have a women pop act #1 choice is Gaga obvs

Edited by caballosblancos
Gaga

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Aye but Reputation was already a step down success-wise from what preceded it.

This argument is going round in circles but my point is that she is still at a level a bit too big for Glastonbury. It’l only happen if she steps down and considers Glastonbury worth her time. 

My point is that amongst all potential female headliners for 2020 she’s not the most likely one to do it. There are too many factors which would count against it.

I believe Ariana, Rihanna, Beyoncé again lol are more likely because they’ve done festivals and aren’t tied to stadium only touring dates. Until Rihanna announces a tour I honestly think Ariana is the most likely female headliner (if we will get one) for 2020.

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Guess the question is whether anyone is ever *too big* for the Pymild. I'd argue no, at least not now that the Stones and U2 have done it.

I don’t think it’s an objective question really. I think it should be whether the act themselves considers themselves too big for Glastonbury.

many acts come to mind when it’s framed like that

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

It’s well-reported that the tour flopped, just so ya know. Still stadiums though. ;)

aye, here in Dublin they literally couldn't give away the tickets. 10s of thousands of tickets went to sports clubs for free (my small local club was given a few hundred), bundles given away on radio competitions etc. Still didn't fill the 2 nights. Enormous flop.

22 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Guess the question is whether anyone is ever *too big* for the Pymild. I'd argue no, at least not now that the Stones and U2 have done it.

I don’t think anybody is “too big”. Headlining Glastonbury is regarded as one of the biggest gigs in the world, especially in recent years given the exposure the festival has received worldwide.

The more pertinent question is whether anyone is “too expensive” for the Pyramid.