2020 headliners

jj200

Not intro pop music but I've seen Rihanna brought many times for being utterly terrible live and that's probably a consideration, though they still booked Lauren Hill. She could maybes get the Cyrus/Perry treatment and be third down but I doubt they would throw her in as a headliner.

Lots of pop acts being mentioned but most of them mime and i dont think an influx of mining acts looks good for the festival. They can get away with the odd one or two but once it starts stacking up the festival will lose a bit of lustre. 

Pop acts should be treated the same as they do the metal acts and have their own slot. Of course they can have the high end ones as headliner or legend as well but it would probably work better if they pushed them similar to the rock slot, could possibly also get bigger acts to play lower down if it was made a thing as well.

Just now, SomeoneListeningIn said:

How so?

I'm probably digging a hole here because there seems to be a core of Taylor Swift fans on here, I can't really explain it. Just don't see her as a Glastonbury headliner and don't see her being booked. I may have egg all over my face come next June

• Upvote 3

Just now, mufcok said:

I'm probably digging a hole here because there seems to be a core of Taylor Swift fans on here, I can't really explain it. Just don't see her as a Glastonbury headliner and don't see her being booked. I may have egg all over my face come next June

I'm in the same boat bud. None of her stuff has massively grabbed me, and I'm not aware of that area of pop culture enough to get it from that perspective.

But then you're talking to a man that would happily have the Levellers headline and not understand why the rest of the population was pissed off, so I'm not a great barometer for this kind of thing :lol:

3 minutes ago, mufcok said:

I'm not a Taylor Swift fan or anything but I wouldn't deny her headliner credentials. Don't really see how it can be argued that she couldn't headline next year - only a year or so ago the main case against her was that she was too big for Glastonbury and didn't want to perform at festivals (which may not have changed tbf).

Edited by SomeoneListeningIn

I thought it was just Martin?

Just now, Quark said:

I'm in the same boat bud. None of her stuff has massively grabbed me, and I'm not aware of that area of pop culture enough to get it from that perspective.

But then you're talking to a man that would happily have the Levellers headline and not understand why the rest of the population was pissed off, so I'm not a great barometer for this kind of thing :lol:

Yeah it's opinions, I guess. When The Strokes talk started earlier this year I lost my mind, would love nothing more but then so many shot it down on here

Between her and the 1975, I’m not sure I’m out of touch or people are delusional. 

Just now, mufcok said:

You don’t need to be a fan to know she’s a big deal.

I don’t think she’ll ever play. The money ain’t right and she apparently wants her full stage production for her full-on shows - a bit like AC/DC do - so that couldn’t be accommodated either. But if she did have her people approach the fest saying she’ll take the low fee and scale her set down for the Pyramid then they’d be silly not to at this point.

12 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

It’s well-reported that the tour flopped, just so ya know. Still stadiums though. ;)

Hahaha fuck sake.

11 minutes ago, chatty said:

Pop acts should be treated the same as they do the metal acts and have their own slot. 

But pop acts don’t suffer from the issue metal acts do, i.e. being an acquired taste which is completely baffling to the untrained ear and likely to leave Pyramid dwellers running for their lives. So that would be silly and completely unjustified.

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

6 minutes ago, mufcok said:

Haha, both really. I meant I don't get the headline shout though mainly. I mean there's been many headlines that aren't my bag but I completely understand the booking, Stormzy being the most recent example. Taylor Swift headlining would leave me scratching my head

I cba to look at all the metrics, someone more pedantic than me can chime in, but I'm fairly sure she's one of, if not the most critically and commercially successful signer/song writer of the last decade. 

It's fine if you're not a fan, but the only reason I'd scratch my head is while wondering how the festival pulled off such a massive booking!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Cream Soda said:

I'm not sure, it's hard to put my finger on what exactly makes an act Glastonbury headliner material in my eyes but it's definitely more than just the amount of awards or sales someone has.  There has to be some substance there or some kind of edge (Stormzy being the perfect example, even though his music is not really my cup of tea).  Although I do get that is very subjective.

I completely agree with you, there’s just something intangible for me. I think it’s to do with the commerciality and musical/cultural impact these acts have had - which in my opinion, is slim. They aren’t exactly known for pushing boundaries. 

Edited by gordong

3 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

I'm not a Taylor Swift fan or anything but I wouldn't deny her headliner credentials. Don't really see how it can be argued that she couldn't headline next year - only a year or so ago the main case against her was that she was too big for Glastonbury and didn't want to perform at festivals (which may not have changed tbf).

Yeah that's fair. I think I'm slightly ignorant with stuff that I'm not into i.e I just turn a blind eye to it. I'd probably be like that with Stromzy but I have a lot of mates who into him so I'm well aware of what's going on. I don't know a single person into Taylor Swift (or anyone who openly admits it :D) so I guess that's what it is

7 minutes ago, mufcok said:

Yeah it's opinions, I guess. When The Strokes talk started earlier this year I lost my mind, would love nothing more but then so many shot it down on here

FWIW I'd be of the same opinion of The Strokes as I am with Swift. Says more about me than it should I reckon :lol:

Edited by Quark

4 minutes ago, Cream Soda said:

I'm not sure, it's hard to put my finger on what exactly makes an act Glastonbury headliner material in my eyes but it's definitely more than just the amount of awards or sales someone has.  There has to be some substance there or some kind of edge (Stormzy being the perfect example, even though his music is not really my cup of tea).  Although I do get that is very subjective.

So would Beyoncé be okay then?

1 minute ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

So would Beyoncé be okay then?

See that's interesting. I would (and had) no issue with Bey headlining.  Not because I think she deserves it and Swift doesn't, or because I rate her more highly or anything like that, she just screamed "headliner" at me in a way that Swift doesn't.  And I can't tell you why!

5 minutes ago, Quark said:

See that's interesting. I would (and had) no issue with Bey headlining.  Not because I think she deserves it and Swift doesn't, or because I rate her more highly or anything like that, she just screamed "headliner" at me in a way that Swift doesn't.  And I can't tell you why!

I also think Beyoncé has a much wider demographic appeal than Taylor Swift - so for that alone, yes. 

Echoing some sentiments above.

Taylor Swift is probably one of the pop girls out there I’m least confident about playing the festival. She might not be at 1989 levels anymore but she’s not that far off it. She’s still selling out stadiums worldwide. She has no connection to the festival and I just cannot see it happening while she is still the mega force that she is. As big as she is she likes to keep things self contained. I’ve seen she has no interest in playing coachella (which pay big bucks and offer big stage production) so why on earth would she play Glastonbury?

Also, Rihanna, Taylor, Gaga, etc cannot be compared to Katy, Miley, Janet who have never been headlining acts over in the UK. Whilst she is a big deal I’m pretty sure Katy has never sold out a stadium here and neither has Miley.

Also - what is wrong with wanting big pop acts at Glastonbury? Some people really enjoy pop acts (myself included). Especially when the pop act gives it their all. In 2017 I got to see Radiohead and Katy Perry in the same weekend and it was fucking marvellous. 

5 minutes ago, Quark said:

Gravitas? She’s certainly a more ‘impressive’ performer than T-Swizzle. Tay puts more emphasis on fun and singalongs though. So it depends on what you want. How about we just have both :) 

8 minutes ago, Quark said:

Subjectivity aside I’m pretty sure Taylor Swift is a bigger tour seller than Beyoncé.

Also I think people forget that Beyoncé headlined at a pretty shakey time in her career. Before self-titled and lemonade she was not as big of a deal as she is now.

Edited by Matt42