2020 headliners

jj200

31 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Alas no. The folk she was with made it fairly clear that I should just keep walking and try to forget what I'd just seen. Even when I tried to causally do another walk by she was sequestered in a corner with her hoodie up.

If it was actually her.

Which it was.

I am fully behind this, it’s happening. 

30 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

My tuppence on Rihanna is that she's easily still a big enough deal to do it, but hopefully it'd be on the back of her eventual greatest hits album.

Although maybe these days a hits album is an outdated concept and it's no longer a valedictory moment where an artist consolidates into being an all-timer.

Spotify has killed the greatest hits album.

Also Rihanna is absolutely years off that point yet.

25 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Rihanna is no longer in the same league as Bey or Tay. She was, at least in terms of prevalence of material, but she’s not the institution she used to be. My guess is she’s far from the top of the list of headliners. 

In this country I’d say the current hierarchy of pop girls is:

Adele

Beyonce and T-Swizzle

Ariana

Rihanna, Lady Gaga, Florence, Pink

Billie Eilish, Katy Perry, Lorde, Dua Lipa, Miley, Madonna*, Britney*

Rita Ora, Camilla Cabello, Ellie Goulding

Emeli Sande, Christina Aguilera

*Madonna and Britney would obvs headline if they were to play but that’s where they are in terms of the interest in their current output

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

17 minutes ago, Cream Soda said:

I'm surprised by how open people are to really poppy acts headlining Glastonbury.  Not saying they shouldn't, but I thought there would be more resistance.  I know the idea is to get more female headliners but is there really such a lack of good female bands/singer songwriters that this is what we are left with?   I wonder if those excited about the likes of Ariana or Rhianna headlining would have as much enthusiasm for One Direction or Bieber.  I would put them all in the same category but then maybe I am just an old fuddy duddy.

The female equivalent to 1D and Bieber in terms of talent is probably Ellie Goulding and nobody is suggesting she’d headline. 1D have the tunes to absolutely smash the legends slot on their reunion tour in 10 years time but Bieber can stay away.

2 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

The female equivalent to 1D and Bieber in terms of talent is probably Ellie Goulding and nobody is suggesting she’d headline. 1D have the tunes to absolutely smash the legends slot on their reunion tour in 10 years time but Bieber can stay away.

Surely the female equivalent to 1D is little mix? Similar path to fame etc.

13 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Surely the female equivalent to 1D is little mix? Similar path to fame etc.

The path to fame and fanbases are about where the similarities end, though. I’m no stan but in terms of talent and stagecraft they blow 1D out of the water, and of course they have to because pop music somehow still demands twice as much from girls as it does from boys for the same level of success.

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

12 hours ago, syc1818 said:

i really think arctic monkeys are a lock in 

I think it depends on more new stuff. If they're back in the studio and anything is dropping before next June then I'm sure they'll do it. They won't be playing next year just off the back of TBHC. I really like the album, probably in the minority with that, but they'd have just been booked to play 2019 if no more new stuff is on the way. They're a bigger/better booking than The Killers, regardless of being a fan or not

I do enjoy how we have these exact same discussions every year, but then we end up with Stormzy, The Killers and The Cure.

Rihanna is very low down the list of potential headliners. Could she do it? Absolutely. Is she in the top 10 or even 15 likely candidates? Nope. Glastonbury has almost zero form to suggest they would book Rihanna as a headliner. And that's a bad thing btw - it's just the current state of play. There's always a first time, but y'all have been arguing this for a few years now and the parade of white blokes and guitars has just kept marching through.

I really don't get the Taylor Swift suggestion. I may be missing something but it goes right over my head, do not see it happening.

If they're intent on having a female headliner next year (not convinced they are), I think they'll either break the bank for Madonna or go for Gaga. Gaga would need a new album though. Booking her with no new music would be an odd booking in my opinion 

36 minutes ago, Cream Soda said:

I'm surprised by how open people are to really poppy acts headlining Glastonbury.  Not saying they shouldn't, but I thought there would be more resistance.  I know the idea is to get more female headliners but is there really such a lack of good female bands/singer songwriters that this is what we are left with?   I wonder if those excited about the likes of Ariana or Rhianna headlining would have as much enthusiasm for One Direction or Bieber.  I would put them all in the same category but then maybe I am just an old fuddy duddy.

Aye, it's something I've grown into tbh. Good pop music is good music, just like mediocre guitar music is mediocre music. 

1 hour ago, Cream Soda said:

The festival has always had plenty of pop/hip hop/RnB etc on throughout the lineup so why not at the very top?

If it doesn't open itself up to other genres we'll just have an endless procession of Coldplay/Muse/The Who every year.

Edited by Hugh Jass

Every year for the last few it's been 'there is defo going to be a female headliner' etc etc and it hasn't materialised (apart from Adele). 

They didn't even give Florence the headline slot when she probs deserved it. Don't think a female headliner is a foregone conclusion. That said, I'm all for some T Swift-would be a great set I'm sure she's got tonnes of hits.

20 minutes ago, mufcok said:

I really don't get the Taylor Swift suggestion. I may be missing something but it goes right over my head, do not see it happening.

If they're intent on having a female headliner next year (not convinced they are), I think they'll either break the bank for Madonna or go for Gaga. Gaga would need a new album though. Booking her with no new music would be an odd booking in my opinion 

As in you don't get Taylor Swift or you don't see them booking her to headline?

1 minute ago, Cream Soda said:

No reason at all if it's deserved.  Madge and Gaga are the only ones I would give headliner status to, but that is personal opinion of course.  

What would Taylor Swift have to do to deserve it in your eyes? Her average metacritic score is 75, she’s won multiple Album of the Year Grammys, and she sold out two nights at Wembley Stadium last year. If she still doesn’t objectively ‘deserve’ it after all of that then basically nobody except Ed Sheeran and Coldplay does. Like, for reals.

6 minutes ago, jparx said:

As in you don't get Taylor Swift or you don't see them booking her to headline?

Haha, both really. I meant I don't get the headline shout though mainly. I mean there's been many headlines that aren't my bag but I completely understand the booking, Stormzy being the most recent example. Taylor Swift headlining would leave me scratching my head