2020 headliners

jj200

3 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Yes, twas ever thus. They definitely wouldn’t be booked to headline if the fest were still of the mindset they were when Flo was only a sub in 2015 (or arguably even when they opted against taking a chance on Foals in 2016), but like I said a few days ago hopefully Stormzy going so well can open the floodgates a bit now.

Yup. I agree with you on Florence but not Foals (sorry). But yeah the stormzy booking should put some faith in Glastonbury about booking new bands. I do wonder though as 2015,2016,2017 we had three huge headliners available for the festival to book and thus smaller bands got shafted. (What I mean by that is Foo Fighters, Muse, Adele, Coldplay, Radiohead, Ed Sheeran... even the Killers etc were all knocking at the door to get a slot).

It seems like in 2015 they were trying for Prince and then settled for the Who.

It is surprising that 1975 are not shouted about as much as they could be. I know they aren’t to everyone’s tastes but I don’t know what more they have to prove.

11 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Yup. I agree with you on Florence but not Foals (sorry). But yeah the stormzy booking should put some faith in Glastonbury about booking new bands. I do wonder though as 2015,2016,2017 we had three huge headliners available for the festival to book and thus smaller bands got shafted. (What I mean by that is Foo Fighters, Muse, Adele, Coldplay, Radiohead, Ed Sheeran... even the Killers etc were all knocking at the door to get a slot).

It seems like in 2015 they were trying for Prince and then settled for the Who.

Ultimately it comes down to getting the balance right between booking as impressive a bill as possible - “if you can get a headline act like Flo to sub and then have a headliner as well, why wouldn’t you” - but also being progressive and brave in a way which befits Glastonbury’s status and influence. That’s what I mean about Foals - they aren’t my favourite band by any stretch but in 2016, when the fest had two humongous headliners on the Saturday and Sunday, they definitely didn’t need another stadium filler on the Friday too so could easily have given Foals a chance without any eyebrows being raised.

Doubtless they’ll be able to find three huge names for the top of the bill next year to ‘justify’ booking The 1975 further down but I really hope they opt for the more ballsy option instead.

It is surprising that 1975 are not shouted about as much as they could be. I know they aren’t to everyone’s tastes but I don’t know what more they have to prove.

Unfortunately the NME etc made such a racket about how terrible they supposedly were when they first broke through that it’s been difficult to shake that tag in the eyes of some people. But no band was ever universally loved now were they.

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

On 7/10/2019 at 8:31 AM, FloorFiller said:

Only if she promises to forget the last three years of her career. 

Reputation contains the absolute nadir of her career, but it also has some of the highest heights. If she hit the Pymild without bringing Call It What You Want out to the party I'd be fucking livid.

28 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Reputation contains the absolute nadir of her career, but it also has some of the highest heights. If she hit the Pymild without bringing Call It What You Want out to the party I'd be fucking livid.

I really don’t think rep was that bad.

I won’t believe she’s in the running until there’s solid rumours. I truly think Glasto is not on her radar at all.

I really don’t think rep was that bad.

I won’t believe she’s in the running until there’s solid rumours. I truly think Glasto is not on her radar at all.

EAE6FC4D-B166-4DF9-BFEE-C27F4028864C.jpeg

If she’d allowed herself to edit it down to 10 songs and then ordered it as above, it would have gone down as a masterpiece not far off Red and 1989 levels. Unfortunately she didn’t, and included Look What You Made Me Do and End Game instead.

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

2 hours ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

EAE6FC4D-B166-4DF9-BFEE-C27F4028864C.jpeg

If she’d allowed herself to edit it down to 10 songs and then ordered it as above, it would have gone down as a masterpiece not far off Red and 1989 levels. Unfortunately she didn’t, and included Look What You Made Me Do and End Game instead.

Aye very true. 

Ready For It and New Year's Day might be my favourite album opener/closer combo. 

8 hours ago, syc1818 said:

i really think arctic monkeys are a lock in 

I do too but I'd rather not. For the Eavis, they would be an easy pick with a likely new album, 6 years gap and do it for a lesser fee probably. Them and FM are still my string two guess. 

To add my Rihanna thoughts, if she does it in say the 3rd down Pyramid slot then I can see it but no way she headlines it.

I also don't think Swift will do it, at least not yet. Being American it won't matter probably as much to her as say friend Ed and while she can still sell out like she can there isn't much point for her. Ed grabbed it I think while he could as he probably knows the whole solo guitarist thing won't be forever....heavily over toured the last album, Ipswitch and Leeds still sold well but those dates were scraping it as a tour extension. 

Rihanna is 100% big enough to headline still. She's one of the best selling artists of all time and without a doubt at least 1 single from the new album will be a number 1 and the rest of the singles won't be far behind it in their peak position. People are massively underestimating her here.

9 hours ago, ghostdancer1 said:

Rihanna is utter dogshit live.

8 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Rihanna.... live she seems pretty crap, she is forever stopping singing whenever Ive seen her on anything... but this is an absolute tune:

That's my experience too, saw her at Hackney Weekend a few years back. Was hoping it was just a one off, but seems she has a bit of a reputation for being a bit shit live.

It's a shame because she has the hits, and if she was to be booked she headlines for me. I still think her back catalogue puts her at headline level even without a new album. 

Which would be gutting, as I want to be blown away by a Pyramid headliner, not regretting it.

24 minutes ago, HeyPorter said:

Can’t wait for Tay to be announced and CalGon will provide photographic evidence that he’s been keeping secret of her scouting the site in the early hours and was right all along. 

Alas no. The folk she was with made it fairly clear that I should just keep walking and try to forget what I'd just seen. Even when I tried to causally do another walk by she was sequestered in a corner with her hoodie up.

If it was actually her.

Which it was.

My tuppence on Rihanna is that she's easily still a big enough deal to do it, but hopefully it'd be on the back of her eventual greatest hits album.

Although maybe these days a hits album is an outdated concept and it's no longer a valedictory moment where an artist consolidates into being an all-timer.

7 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Alas no. The folk she was with made it fairly clear that I should just keep walking and try to forget what I'd just seen. Even when I tried to causally do another walk by she was sequestered in a corner with her hoodie up.

If it was actually her.

Which it was.

So pissed up you was staring at some poor blonde girl so intently that her friends felt the need to step in. Not a good a look if Tay-tay doesn't materialise.