2020 headliners

jj200

Sales aside, she doesn't feel like "headliner" to me at the moment. A few years ago yeah, and if she has new material and becomes a bit more relevant again then yup, but right now it just doesn't feel...right. Not in the ascendancy, and not historically big enough to be a surprise coup. Sub I could see.

She'll now be booked, smash it  and I shall eat those words.

4 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Because she didn’t sell out six stadiums she’s no longer a headliner?

No, Mr, you know it’s not as simple as that, but she would’ve sold out those dates in 2012, or at least not had to cancel half of them - ergo, her popularity is on the decline, and unless this new album launches with an inescapable number one smash hit she’ll quickly be at Katy Perry’s level if not lower. It’s been twice as long since Rihanna’s commercial peak than it has since Tay Tay’s and the latter’s decline is undeniable. Unfortunately the pop music world still loves nothing more than moving on from megastar women absurdly fast.

1 minute ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

No, Mr, you know it’s not as simple as that, but she would’ve sold out those dates in 2012, or at least not had to cancel half of them - ergo, her popularity is on the decline, and unless this new album launches with an inescapable number one smash hit she’ll quickly be at Katy Perry’s level if not lower. It’s been twice as long since Rihanna’s commercial peak than it has since Tay Tay’s and the latter’s decline is undeniable. Unfortunately the pop music world still loves nothing more than moving on from megastar women absurdly fast.

She played Twickenham twice in 2013, sold out wireless festival in 2012

Just now, Muppetmark said:

6 and 7 years ago respectively. And I saw her at Wireless that year and she was fucking dreadful. Probably not one to use as a positive indicator of Pyramid suitability ;)

7 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Surely someone dropping from the level of 'superstar stadium headliner, earning millions a show' is more likely because they're happy to take the reduced fee to get their tunes on primetime telly again? But of course this is Glastonbury 2020 where there are four acts big enough to headline and everyone else is gonna play anyway.

4 minutes ago, Muppetmark said:

Alright fact hunt.

Edited by dentalplan

10 minutes ago, Quark said:

Sales aside, she doesn't feel like "headliner" to me at the moment. A few years ago yeah, and if she has new material and becomes a bit more relevant again then yup, but right now it just doesn't feel...right. Not in the ascendancy, and not historically big enough to be a surprise coup. Sub I could see.

She'll now be booked, smash it  and I shall eat those words.

Did this pass your attention? She had a pretty major hit recently 

5 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Surely someone dropping from the level of 'superstar stadium headliner, earning millions a show' is more likely because they're happy to take the reduced fee to get their tunes on primetime telly again? 

In theory. She doesn’t feel like someone with the kind of self-awareness to accept that the public has moved on from her, to me, although I guess she’s played Big Weekend and that as big low-paid promo-geared gigs in the past.

2 minutes ago, Quark said:

Yes. Yes it did :lol:

Consider yourself lucky.

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

The thing is with Rihanna is that she’s got an arsenal of tunes that everyone in that pyramid field will know off by heart.

also she hasn’t released a full length studio album for a long time. Her last album (while not being as huge) had some pretty massive singles.

Shes a headliner that’s been waiting to happen for a very very long time. Yes she might not be on top of her game right now but I think you’l be surprised how many people would be onboard with this. Also Emily is a massive massive fan.

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

She's also been on 'Work' and 'This Is What You Came For' since the last album, right? Two other pretty huge singles.

Work was her own tune but yeah that’s another one. I was just picking her most recent. 

Rihanna has that star power that all it would take is for her to release one more banger and it would be like she’s never left.

18 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

They’re on the way up to that level though innit, not on the way down.

I can't help but feel their last album has been a bit of a flop or at least not as big as expected, its definitely not been their OK Computer (which some reviews compared it to). I guess they've still another new album coming out pretty soon though.  

Edited by addicted2noise

1 minute ago, addicted2noise said:

I can't help but feel their last album has been a bit of a flop or at least not as big as expected, its definitely not been their OK Computer (which some reviews compared it to). I guess they've still another new album coming out pretty soon though.  

I mean, I agree, they need a hit, but it’s never felt like they were household names on their previous album campaigns either and yet they’ve still continued to balloon to the size of Piers Morgan’s ego. Reading just sold out with their name at the top of the poster too, which it wouldn’t have done three years ago.

4 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

I mean, I agree, they need a hit, but it’s never felt like they were household names on their previous album campaigns either and yet they’ve still continued to balloon to the size of Piers Morgan’s ego. Reading just sold out with their name at the top of the poster too, which it wouldn’t have done three years ago.

Do you reckon we’re holding new bands to ridiculously high standards? The 1975 have done way better than most bands I’ve seen emerge over the past five years. 

I’d say they are the biggest British band to emerge since Mumford.

6 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Do you reckon we’re holding new bands to ridiculously high standards? The 1975 have done way better than most bands I’ve seen emerge over the past five years. 

I’d say they are the biggest British band to emerge since Mumford.

Yes, twas ever thus. They definitely wouldn’t be booked to headline if the fest were still of the mindset they were when Flo was only a sub in 2015 (or arguably even when they opted against taking a chance on Foals in 2016), but like I said a few days ago hopefully Stormzy going so well can open the floodgates a bit now.