2020 headliners

jj200

I'll stick my hand up as well and say I loved Coldplay's set in 2016, so there! :P

I'll not deny that they wouldn't come under the banner of "inspired headline choice" but you'd get a decent show out of it, and there'd be enough people enjoying it to warrant it as a choice.

If they were to book Coldplay for one night and balance it out with more left field or progressive (musically) headliners for the other two nights, I'd live with it

2 minutes ago, Quark said:

I'll stick my hand up as well and say I loved Coldplay's set in 2016, so there! :P

I'll not deny that they wouldn't come under the banner of "inspired headline choice" but you'd get a decent show out of it, and there'd be enough people enjoying it to warrant it as a choice.

If they were to book Coldplay for one night and balance it out with more left field or progressive (musically) headliners for the other two nights, I'd live with it

Same for me, I could certainly live with it if balanced out with two other (or at least one other) inspired booking. Although, if they were gonna get somebody back, Arctics please as I ditched them for Chic last time (no regrets).

Would it be possible, and I'm just spit-balling here, that as part of the 50th celebrations, maybe on the Saturday, they could programme an entire Pyramid day of former headliners? Something along the lines of:

Macca/Coldplay/Pulp/Blur

Stereophonics/KOL

New Order/Primal Scream/Elvis Costello/Manics

Travis

Skunk Anansie/Suzanne Vega

Levellers/Ash

Shakespeare's Sister (they're back!)

Edited by Hugh Jass

48 minutes ago, djdavejohnson said:

Fair enough, I haven't been keeping up with what they're doing atm.

Haha, I sense sarcasm there...?

I loved their last headline set, but as mentioned previously I'd missed them the last three times they headlined.

Let's hope so!

Actually not sarcastic! They never disappoint. 

43 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Would it be possible, and I'm just spit-balling here, that as part of the 50th celebrations, maybe on the Saturday, they could programme an entire Pyramid day of former headliners? Something along the lines of:

Macca/Coldplay/Pulp/Blur

Stereophonics/KOL

Travis

Levellers/Ash

That would be awful.

51 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Macca/Coldplay/Pulp/Blur

Stereophonics/KOL

Travis

Levellers/Ash

it defo won't be Macca.

19 hours ago, Boozie19 said:

I’m newly signed up to this forum & only attended 2 Glastonbury’s in 14 & 16, but I have followed the forum sporadically over the years. I’ve seen a fair few posts like this over that time & whilst I know & appreciate most of you will be veterans, some posts like this tend have me thinking what’s the issue with rock such as that. Granted oasis were the band of my generation I’m 33 now so you may think I’m biased, but I fail to see what is wrong with the type of rock that truly gets crowds going. I’m all for variety all genres etc but to single one out call it boorish is nonsense. Whether you like it or not Liam Noel or oasis as whole brings an energy to a crowd where a more mundane headliner/sub headliner wouldn’t. I recently watched the a/z Glastonbury headliners talking heads programme & there was far more energy coming from crowds back then 90’s early 00’s to what you see a lot of nowadays. Again I’m not knocking anything I’ve love it both times I was lucky enough to get tickets. I just don’t see how this can be classed as boorish to what Madonna would be to many. 

Oasis is buffoon music for lager louts with no culture.

Stormzy on the other hand, hopping up and down on one leg rapping about hashtags & "suck your mum" - that's proper art, mate

Edited by BOBBY_FIRMINO
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, BOBBY_FIRMINO said:

Oasis is buffoon music for lager louts with no culture.

Stormzy on the other hand, hopping up and down on one leg rapping about hashtags & "suck your mum" - that's proper art, mate

Maybe big Stormz is doing an impression of Little James trying a trampoline?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Why?

Kings of Leon won’t sub and I think Emily and Nick would really have better ideas for the 50th than giving a day of the anniversary edition to headliners who have lost enough stock since their heyday to come back for a 2pm show.

Edited by dentalplan

6 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Kings of Leon won’t sub and I think Emily and Nick would really have better ideas for the 50th than giving a day of the anniversary edition to headliners who have lost enough stock since their heyday to come back for a 2pm show.

Let’s hope so, otherwise Travis are coming atcha.

26 minutes ago, Matt87 said:

Does that mean that Macca will be removed imminently from the Rumours page? Or, are you saying that it definitely won't be Macca on the Saturday?

Macca is on the rumours page only because there's a rumour that won't die because of what Michael said on camera.

I have better info than what Michael gave. Macca won't be playing.

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

Let’s hope so, otherwise Travis are coming atcha.

Looking at your list, getting a bunch of those playing on different stages (eg. Travis on Acoustic, Levellers on Avalon, MSP on Other, etc) would be more impressive and less invasive than a blocked out day on the Pyramid.

31 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Looking at your list, getting a bunch of those playing on different stages (eg. Travis on Acoustic, Levellers on Avalon, MSP on Other, etc) would be more impressive and less invasive than a blocked out day on the Pyramid.

You see those sort of bookings on those stages every year though, it wouldn't be particularly special. I appreciate that most of the acts I've listed are a bit naff to the average festival goer but they have all headlined the Pyramid at some time and let's be honest here you aren't going to get the likes of Kanye popping up for a 2pm Pyramid set.

It all depends how heavily they want to lean on the "celebrating the past" aspect of the 50th.

As I said, just an idea...

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

You see those sort of bookings on those stages every year though, it wouldn't be particularly special. I appreciate that most of the acts I've listed are a bit naff to the average festival goer but they have all headlined the Pyramid at some time and let's be honest here you aren't going to get the likes of Kanye popping up for a 2pm Pyramid set.

It all depends how heavily they want to lean on the "celebrating the past" aspect of the 50th.

Surely if an act raises no eyebrows being booked on smaller stages then putting them on the Pyramid is a loss? I don’t see it being special for anyone really, except maybe Travis from Travis.

8 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Gut feel would be that they'll do some of the celebrating the past thing, but I don't see them going that heavy on it to dedicate a sizeable chunk of prime real estate to it.

Although Beyonce doing a gospel set on Sunday morning would be food for the soul :D

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Macca/Coldplay/Pulp/Blur

Stereophonics/KOL

Travis

Levellers/Ash

I think that's a cool idea. I hope they're thinking about these sorts of things. I can't see them pulling this off specifically as you outline, but dotting past headliners around the lineup could definitely happen. Enough of them have fallen from grace that I could easily see them taking a lower slot as a novelty and for the exposure. 

I'm still going for Coldplay in the legend slot...............