2020 headliners

jj200

2 hours ago, Boozie19 said:

I’m newly signed up to this forum & only attended 2 Glastonbury’s in 14 & 16, but I have followed the forum sporadically over the years. I’ve seen a fair few posts like this over that time & whilst I know & appreciate most of you will be veterans, some posts like this tend have me thinking what’s the issue with rock such as that. Granted oasis were the band of my generation I’m 33 now so you may think I’m biased, but I fail to see what is wrong with the type of rock that truly gets crowds going. I’m all for variety all genres etc but to single one out call it boorish is nonsense. Whether you like it or not Liam Noel or oasis as whole brings an energy to a crowd where a more mundane headliner/sub headliner wouldn’t. I recently watched the a/z Glastonbury headliners talking heads programme & there was far more energy coming from crowds back then 90’s early 00’s to what you see a lot of nowadays. Again I’m not knocking anything I’ve love it both times I was lucky enough to get tickets. I just don’t see how this can be classed as boorish to what Madonna would be to many. 

The energy of the crowd in the 90’s looked insane, would have been so good to have been able to attend the festival at that time:

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Quark said:

Just had a quick look at t'interwebs.  The little scamps, they do love a bit of ribbing.

On the other topic I'd put KoL in the same bracket as Killers.  Not necessarily a band I'd stampede to watch, but if I ended up there I'd know enough tunes to make a good night of it.

KOL would only headline again if they have problems, if Liam can sub then so can KOL now.

14 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

If you tolerate The Killers then the Kings of Leon will be next 

Had Macca it appears agreed and not decided to extend USA date, The Killers wouldn't have happened. Emily also said other stages were okay but they were struggling with the Pyramid which I don't think is going to be the case next year.

A band for example like The 1975 clearly could headline it but have said they want to be there basically and I get the feeling they'll hold on for that slot if it's not then time.

Not in the grand scheme of things. The pool of acts for the three mega headliners thing that has been going for the past decade was running dry fast which is how we ended up with three so-so headliners this year. Need to go back to the times of taking chances on headliner bump ups (within reason of course) or there'll be nothing left but Kings of Leons and Kasabians to fill the gaps.

5 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Not in the grand scheme of things. The pool of acts for the three mega headliners thing that has been going for the past decade was running dry fast which is how we ended up with three so-so headliners this year. Need to go back to the times of taking chances on headliner bump ups (within reason of course) or there'll be nothing left but Kings of Leons and Kasabians to fill the gaps.

My working title for the 2021 headliner thread is “2021 headliners: Now the wishlist has been completed, time for some Kasabian”.

30 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Prediction

Taylor Swift

Elton John

Coldplay

-----

Other Stage... Rammstein. I havent gone through pages, and sure someone has mentioned the Glasto shaped hole in their EU 2020 tour.

i assume you have the wrong dates for G20, as Rammstein are in Netherlands on the Wednesday, then Germany on the Sat+Sun, almost no chance of them playing Friday in the UK.

Playing Belguim on Weds 10th, then free all of Download weekend, then Belfast on the following Wednesday, so I'd say it's Donington for them...

After Coldplay headlined the last time it just 'felt' like that would finally be it for them (for now at least) topping the Pyramid, however I can't shake the feeling given their connection with the festival that they will somehow be a part of the big 50 celebrations. Maybe the 'legend' slot takes on a new meaning - in Coldplay's case 'legends of the festival'?

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Brandon Flowers clearing a pathway so that Jez and Super Hans off of Kasabian can return to the top of the top of the Pyramid with their song about a scientist on LSD and a giant inflatable of Noel Fielding.

Kasabian - Noel Fielding, Kanye - Lee Nelson, Coldplay - Orville, The Killers - Jimmy Carr. Spotting a trend here...

5 minutes ago, djdavejohnson said:

After Coldplay headlined the last time it just 'felt' like that would finally be it for them (for now at least) topping the Pyramid, however I can't shake the feeling given their connection with the festival that they will somehow be a part of the big 50 celebrations. Maybe the 'legend' slot takes on a new meaning - in Coldplay's case 'legends of the festival'?

Either some kind of secret set or Chris Martin following on from this year and popping up wherever he can to ruin certified bangers. Really can't see them headlining again so soon, although they obviously will at some point in the near future - probably the following year.

5 minutes ago, djdavejohnson said:

Chris Martin turned up at everything this year, I was expecting him to be outside our campervan every-time we opened the door 

12 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

i assume you have the wrong dates for G20, as Rammstein are in Netherlands on the Wednesday, then Germany on the Sat+Sun, almost no chance of them playing Friday in the UK.

Playing Belguim on Weds 10th, then free all of Download weekend, then Belfast on the following Wednesday, so I'd say it's Donington for them...

I looked at their dates last week on a glastonbury Comedown. Must have got it wrong!

I might do a day at Donnington then

9 minutes ago, djdavejohnson said:

it's going to be Coldplay with a special guest appearance from Chris Martin. :D 

2 minutes ago, TheGoodWillOut said:

Chris Martin turned up at everything this year, I was expecting him to be outside our campervan every-time we opened the door 

I know this is a joke, but was it just Stormzy and Kylie or were there more?