2020 headliners

jj200

1 hour ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

To be blunt: as a general rule, this year’s lineup clearly marked a conscious shift away from boorish 90s lad rock. Assuming that trend continues, booking Liam Gallagher three times in a row would feel very jarring.

I’m newly signed up to this forum & only attended 2 Glastonbury’s in 14 & 16, but I have followed the forum sporadically over the years. I’ve seen a fair few posts like this over that time & whilst I know & appreciate most of you will be veterans, some posts like this tend have me thinking what’s the issue with rock such as that. Granted oasis were the band of my generation I’m 33 now so you may think I’m biased, but I fail to see what is wrong with the type of rock that truly gets crowds going. I’m all for variety all genres etc but to single one out call it boorish is nonsense. Whether you like it or not Liam Noel or oasis as whole brings an energy to a crowd where a more mundane headliner/sub headliner wouldn’t. I recently watched the a/z Glastonbury headliners talking heads programme & there was far more energy coming from crowds back then 90’s early 00’s to what you see a lot of nowadays. Again I’m not knocking anything I’ve love it both times I was lucky enough to get tickets. I just don’t see how this can be classed as boorish to what Madonna would be to many. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, RossTC said:

LG was only there this year because he did Pilton Party last year, otherwise they wouldn't of had him back so quick after the other stage set with almost the same setlist.

It was very different tbf. He didn't play Champagne Supernova, Wonderwall, Supersonic, Columbia, Cigarettes & Alcohol, Roll With It, For What It's Worth and more in 2017. Gotta be considered a massive improvement. He won't play next year though. But Noel will by the sounds of it.

24 minutes ago, Boozie19 said:

I’m newly signed up to this forum & only attended 2 Glastonbury’s in 14 & 16, but I have followed the forum sporadically over the years. I’ve seen a fair few posts like this over that time & whilst I know & appreciate most of you will be veterans, some posts like this tend have me thinking what’s the issue with rock such as that. Granted oasis were the band of my generation I’m 33 now so you may think I’m biased, but I fail to see what is wrong with the type of rock that truly gets crowds going. I’m all for variety all genres etc but to single one out call it boorish is nonsense. Whether you like it or not Liam Noel or oasis as whole brings an energy to a crowd where a more mundane headliner/sub headliner wouldn’t. I recently watched the a/z Glastonbury headliners talking heads programme & there was far more energy coming from crowds back then 90’s early 00’s to what you see a lot of nowadays. Again I’m not knocking anything I’ve love it both times I was lucky enough to get tickets. I just don’t see how this can be classed as boorish to what Madonna would be to many. 

To be fair, I think boorish (as in a bit rough and ill-mannered) is a fairly apt description of that kind of rock, which I would also include the likes of Catfish and especially Courteeners. That said, I don't necessarily see it as a bad thing - a certain amount of rock n roll spirit is part of the appeal and what to some is 'attitude', to others is obnoxious. I've never enjoyed the football terrace atmosphere that Oasis brought with them, but there's no denying that to many, it offers a sense of belonging.

11 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Why is Liam even being suggested for next year?

He subbed last week, he isn't subbing again in 51 weeks' time.

During his set Liam said something along the lines of 'I want to thank the Eavis family for letting me continue my Glastonbury residency, next year will be the hat trick'.

Don't bet against it just yet. 

2 minutes ago, didinowanttohearthat said:

It makes no sense though, like what slot would he even play?

I don't disagree - just think if he wants to be there the chances are he will be. 

Whether that means a secret set or something I don't know. Regardless of what many think on this forum there will always be a demand to hear Liam or Noel shout some Oasis. 

Edited by Chef

1 minute ago, Chef said:

During his set Liam said something along the lines of 'I want to thank the Eavis family for letting me continue my Glastonbury residency, next year will be the hat trick'.

The only way I could see him back next year is if the Eavii have secured the mythical Oasis reunion.  They've headlined twice in 95 and 04, so 20 would be the hat trick.

Not saying I expect or want it, but that's the only logical progression there. Unless it's all bollocks.

6 minutes ago, Chef said:

I interpreted that as a continuation of him urging Noel to reunite Oasis. I'm sure he knows he's not getting another solo slot. However, what's happened since has obviously made that Oasis reunion even less likely.

Despite their massive decline KOL are probably bigger now than their 2008 performance which was just before they blew to the masses with Only by the Night.

Still think they could headline and have a massive crowd although it wont be popular on here. When did a band bigger in size do the pilton party? 

4 minutes ago, august1 said:

Despite their massive decline KOL are probably bigger now than their 2008 performance which was just before they blew to the masses with Only by the Night.

Still think they could headline and have a massive crowd although it wont be popular on here. When did a band bigger in size do the pilton party? 

Not a band, but I'd argue that Liam doing it last year was a much bigger deal, and he didn't headline.

Would think that playing the PP puts them nailed on for one of the sub positions though.

Just now, incident said:

Not a band, but I'd argue that Liam doing it last year was a much bigger deal, and he didn't headline.

Would think that playing the PP puts them nailed on for one of the sub positions though.

Getting them in to sub makes you wonder if they’re trying to get a few past headliners in.

13 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Yeah, it's been getting pretty nasty between them too.

Just had a quick look at t'interwebs.  The little scamps, they do love a bit of ribbing.

On the other topic I'd put KoL in the same bracket as Killers.  Not necessarily a band I'd stampede to watch, but if I ended up there I'd know enough tunes to make a good night of it.

6 minutes ago, incident said:

Kings of Leon won’t sub. They’re not the biggest band in the world anymore but they’ve been a surefire headliner for a long time and aren’t gonna jack that in cos it’s Glasto’s birthday. Secret set or headline.

19 minutes ago, Quark said:

What have I missed? Liam and Noel handbagging again?

if you watch As it Was (latest Liam G documentary) it makes it very clear that relations are ice cold atm.

I didn't realise quite how bad it was until i watched it.

Edited by DL50

19 minutes ago, august1 said:

I'm seeing them in August and cant wait... I haven't seen them for about 5 years now so that's long enough break. Amazing back catalogue of songs... there latter stuff started to sound too over produced for me but still good in the grand scheme of things. 

I for one would be happy if they headlined next year... I would be surprised if it is them though. I don't think they have any real affinity with the festival and sell out most of their shows so they dont need to take the pay cut? 

I'm still thinking Foals, Elton John + whoever (Fleetwood if its not been rubbished yet). It's all pure guess work really isnt it. 

Edited by Havors