2020 headliners

jj200

11 minutes ago, danmarks said:

Mentioned it in the legends slot but last night the Who talked about this year's glastonbury and wished they were there then pete said roger wants me to say something else. 

Also they announced they are touring/playing dates in Britain next year.

Hell no. Never again.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Yeah other stage headline for NIN or never ever. 

The NIN rumour is annoying because it doesn’t seem that ridiculous and would really work but it’s never going  to happen is it?

I live in so much hope. Every fucking year.

Edited by Sasperella
  • Like 1

Interesting comment from Pete Townshend at The Who gig last night before finishing with Baba O' Reilly. I'm paraphrasing but it was something along the lines of music being powerful and heaping praise on Glastonbury 2019 appearing to be a real celebration of life and love, etc. He added that he wished they had been involved this year. Nothing to do with 2020 of course, unless we're down for a secret set in Williams Green on the Thursday, just thought it was noteworthy and didn't want to start a new thread.

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

The Black Keys are a weird one I didn’t realise that they had a new album.

I guess they could sub but it would probably be a pretty thin crowd.

The reports from their Kasabian sub slot weren't great, I believe.

30 minutes ago, Homer said:

The reports from their Kasabian sub slot weren't great, I believe.

They bored the pants off me!

Re: the women's day conversation a couple of pages ago, I think the only way it works is if it happens naturally. If you're turning it into a gimmick, it is bad. It looks dumb and it makes as if the acts are being booked based on talent, not gender. If it's something that just happens (which it could) and the festival don't make a fuss of it, cool. Same goes for any under-represented group.

Though if we know there is anywhere that can do it right, it's Glastonbury!

37 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Can’t remember it and I was there, which doesn’t inspire confidence.

I can remember who I saw in the 90s - but had to really think hard about whether I saw Tame Impala at Bilbao BBK three years ago ?

8 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Equally if it happens naturally then that's no reason to try to rearrange things otherwise.  You probably only have to look back a decade or so to a point when there were all male Pyramid line-ups and it was regarded as wholly unremarkable.

So many female acts this year with relatively high spots on the lineup with a strong possibility of coming back in even higher slots. I think it genuinely is happening naturally. 

Lizzo and little sims were two of my favourite acts this year, both relatively new and both with massive potential to continue their trajectories. I have had grey area on flat out since getting home. 

15 hours ago, dentalplan said:

What the fuck does her ex-boyfriend’s death have to do with her success?

Honestly I think Ariana Grande is that well known to people that the only people upset would have been upset if Lady Gaga or Taylor Swift were headlining.

And yes, it has sadly been the case throughout the history of pop music that women get looked at in a different light after they hit a certain age and have to fight pretty hard to stay up there.

The death effects her like this, plus everything else happening. Wouldnt you rather have somebody that wasnt more or less forced to go promote their music, despite knowing they arent in the right mindset? I would say lengthy time off is coming after everything she has lined up this year is sorted.

6 hours ago, Suprefan said:

The death effects her like this, plus everything else happening. Wouldnt you rather have somebody that wasnt more or less forced to go promote their music, despite knowing they arent in the right mindset? I would say lengthy time off is coming after everything she has lined up this year is sorted.

I’ll leave that up to her thanks.

Black Keys were great at Manchester Apollo however many years ago, and decent enough at Leeds fest (2012?). I wasn't a big fan of the last album but the recent one is decent enough, think a break will have done them good as they sounded really bored on and off record before it.

Other Sub would be a good slot for them if they'd take it. Subbing Weezer. You're only allowed to watch them if you are also many years past your prime though.

5 minutes ago, wishyboz6 said:

Friday - The xx, Royal Blood, CHVRCHES

Saturday - Lady Gaga, Lorde, Years & Years

Sunday - Arctic Monkeys, Liam Gallagher, The Black Keys

Not entirely what I want, but that's what I'm predicting. Pretty solid imo. 

I enjoyed Liam far, far more than I thought I would and more than most round here judging from what I've read but wouldn't give him the same slot again. Wouldn't even give it Noel.

10 minutes ago, didinowanttohearthat said:

What do you even mean by that?

Maybe something to do with the fact he was videoed grabbing his partner round the throat. Hardly screams 'Glastonbury ethos'

Edited by buffy394

6 minutes ago, didinowanttohearthat said:

What do you even mean by that?

To be blunt: as a general rule, this year’s lineup clearly marked a conscious shift away from boorish 90s lad rock. Assuming that trend continues, booking Liam Gallagher three times in a row would feel very jarring.