2020 headliners

jj200

13 hours ago, jparx said:

I've not followed the FM thing too closely recently, but haven't the setlists apparently been better post-Buckingham? He's one of my guitar idols so it'd be a shame for them to do Glastonbury without him, but it'd be pretty great anyway. Seeing Stevie Nicks up there ?

I saw them at Wembley a couple of weeks ago, they all sounded great - Stevie in particular. Setlist had all of the bangers you’d expect with one glaring omission.... Big Love.

10 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

That’s what people said about Take That when they first came back. They seem to tour on an annual basis now.

As long as the demand is there they’ll keep going.

the difference is...? Take That do have some talent of their own. ;)

I can't see the demand keeping up but even if it did I can't see the SG's continuing for long. Their reunion is about their pensions, not artistic drive.

8 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

the difference is...? Take That do have some talent of their own. ;)

I can't see the demand keeping up but even if it did I can't see the SG's continuing for long. Their reunion is about their pensions, not artistic drive.

They’ll go until there’s no money left to be made from it. I don’t imagine Barlow’s crew are particularly artistically driven either.

I was out in London a couple of weeks ago on one of the nights they were playing Wembley. Tube I was on felt like being in one enormous hen party, I could easily see it being an annual event for a lot of people, just like TT are.

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

No one's even sure what form they currently exist in.

ACDC's current situation: Rumoured to have recorded an album of Mal/Angus penned material in Vancouver last year, with Brian and Phil back (photo confirmation of them with Angus and Stevie over a month at the studio). Cliff rumoured to have been present. Multiple sources. Undisclosed issues have prevented a release or even release date happening. Unsure if band will tour again in that form, though it is believed that Brian's hearing issues have been sidestepped with a new hearing aid. Cliff would not tour without Brian or Phil, who of course has potential issues with North American entry due to recent convictions.

Last time DC played festivals they set up their own stage next to the main stage and they're also even more business like than the Stones. If they do tour they're most likely to do a few mega gigs around the world for big bucks. Money and stage issues mean I unfortunately can never see them playing Glasto. They're probably the only band in the world (apart from the Stones) who are a self-perpetuating commercial giant and would never NEED Glasto. There's never been much outward indication of wanting it either...

Hope that helps ?

Edited by Superscally

15 hours ago, dentalplan said:

She’s bigger than either of those nowadays.

One got to the point that she is at due to tragedy. Take that away and Ariana is a mid level pop star. She is only an arena level act anyway. Hasnt graduated to stadiums yet unlike Taylor and Gaga. And how does it get any bigger than winning an oscar like gaga did?

15 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Chart wise Ariana is bigger than Taylor but Taylor is still selling out stadiums. I’m willing to bet that is a major factor in the reason why Taylor has never headlined a festival.

You need to watch Ariana’s set from Coachella and then wonder if you want her on the Pyramid. She just ran through the same routine set, just with some extra guests dropped in there. And only N Sync ( well 4 of them ) actually came off well. Nicki Minaj and Diddy/Mase were terrible. Even on her current headline tour it seems from many reviews that she doesnt even want to be there at all and is pretty much just fulfilling her touring commitments. Not as engaging as you would want. 

Taylor hasnt done a festival just due to there not being a need  to and not a complete and unique opportunity to make it her own thing. Is there a feat that Taylor could accomplish at Glasto which nobody else could? It has to entice or there isnt even going to be a conversation as to why she would do it at all. She has only done the radio events due to it being about promoting an upcoming album, which any pop act does pretty much as a routine now.

• Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, Superscally said:

ACDC's current situation: Rumoured to have recorded an album of Mal/Angus penned material in Vancouver last year, with Brian and Phil back (photo confirmation of them with Angus and Stevie over a month at the studio). Cliff rumoured to have been present. Multiple sources. Undisclosed issues have prevented a release or even release date happening. Unsure if band will tour again in that form, though it is believed that Brian's hearing issues have been sidestepped with a new hearing aid. Cliff would not tour without Brian or Phil, who of course has potential issues with North American entry due to recent convictions.

Last time DC played festivals they set up their own stage next to the main stage and they're also even more business like than the Stones. If they do tour they're most likely to do a few mega gigs around the world for big bucks. Money and stage issues mean I unfortunately can never see them playing Glasto. They're probably the only band in the world (apart from the Stones) who are a self-perpetuating commercial giant and would never NEED Glasto. There's never been much outward indication of wanting it either...

Hope that helps ?

You mean at Coachella 2015 they had their own stage next to the main one? Last I recall since I was there, that wasnt the case. ( just saying ) 

I just can’t see the Spice Girls at Glastonbury;  it’s a step too far? I know that Glastonbury has changed immensely and is perhaps now closer to the mainstream than the counter-culture, but.... For most of the legends to date you could make an argument that they had a kitsch charm, some cross-generational appeal or may even have been genuinely good. You can’t really say that about the Spice Girls 

Surely the Spice Girls (or Take That) are better off doing their own gigs in Hyde Park for as long as they can before rinsing the rewind-type festival circuit. 

29 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

One got to the point that she is at due to tragedy. Take that away and Ariana is a mid level pop star. She is only an arena level act anyway. Hasnt graduated to stadiums yet unlike Taylor and Gaga. And how does it get any bigger than winning an oscar like gaga did?

I think it’s all the monster hits she had rather than the tragedy. Thank U Next wasn’t only a smash because of a terrorist attack.

Lady Gaga doesn’t do stadiums anymore and Taylor Swift won’t be any more in this country. Meanwhile, Ariana certainly will be doing them here in the future.

And tbf the guitarist of the Dirty Pretty Things won an Oscar along with Gaga. There are a lot of music-related things that are a bigger deal to music fans than winning an Oscar.

Edited by dentalplan

29 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I think it’s all the monster hits she had rather than the tragedy. Thank U Next wasn’t only a smash because of a terrorist attack.

Lady Gaga doesn’t do stadiums anymore and Taylor Swift won’t be any more in this country. Meanwhile, Ariana certainly will be doing them here in the future.

And tbf the guitarist of the Dirty Pretty Things won an Oscar along with Gaga. There are a lot of music-related things that are a bigger deal to music fans than winning an Oscar.

What exactly are these monster hits you speak of though and who are they hits amongst? I think I'm far from alone in her passing me by - I couldn't name anything other than 'Thank U, Next' and that's because it became a meme. She can't exactly pull out a set including huge tunes that everyone will know the words to whether they want to or not (like Bad Romance, Just Dance, Born This Way, Poker Face etc) can she? She seems to have a huge following of very young female fans, not the audience you get at Glastonbury. I don't think her tunes would be anywhere near as recognisable as Katy Perry, Taylor Swift and Miley Cyrus, let alone Lady Gaga, so I can't see how she fits at the top of the lineup. It would be an incredibly baffling decision and would kind of say all that's required now to headline the Pyramid is getting big numbers on Spotify.

Whilst it hasn't 'got her to the point she's at', the tragedy can't be underestimated in terms of her becoming a household name in the UK tbf. Her response was commendable, but I agree it didn't lead to her album becoming a hit. As for the Oscar...I agree not on that alone. But surely her being the star of one of the biggest films in recent years and the potential of her performing songs from it only increases interest in her? If you're a Glastonbury booker, I can't believe for a second Ariana is anywhere near Gaga in your list of targets, nor anywhere near the top overall. 

Pretty sure they tried to book Gaga recently. There was that interview where she was asked about it and she said something like, "I don't think I'm allowed to talk about that yet". 

If anything, her massive success with A Star is Born held her back from appearing because before that she was on a downward trend. I think she'll be there within the next few years, as a headliner.  

14 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

What exactly are these monster hits you speak of though and who are they hits amongst? I think I'm far from alone in her passing me by - I couldn't name anything other than 'Thank U, Next' and that's because it became a meme. She can't exactly pull out a set including huge tunes that everyone will know the words to whether they want to or not (like Bad Romance, Just Dance, Born This Way, Poker Face etc) can she? She seems to have a huge following of very young female fans, not the audience you get at Glastonbury. I don't think her tunes would be anywhere near as recognisable as Katy Perry, Taylor Swift and Miley Cyrus, let alone Lady Gaga, so I can't see how she fits at the top of the lineup. It would be an incredibly baffling decision and would kind of say all that's required now to headline the Pyramid is getting big numbers on Spotify.

Whilst it hasn't 'got her to the point she's at', the tragedy can't be underestimated in terms of her becoming a household name in the UK tbf. Her response was commendable, but I agree it didn't lead to her album becoming a hit. As for the Oscar...I agree not on that alone. But surely her being the star of one of the biggest films in recent years and the potential of her performing songs from it only increases interest in her? If you're a Glastonbury booker, I can't believe for a second Ariana is anywhere near Gaga in your list of targets, nor anywhere near the top overall. 

I am pretty sure Ariana had three number ones on the last album alone? Obviously if I name them you’ll say “never heard of it” but it doesn’t mean they weren’t big.

And this thing about her being big with a different age group is tired as hell - Billie Eilish likely resonates with an even younger age group, and she would have mobbed that field if she wasn’t up against Miles Cyrus; another act who’d be dismissed as not being ‘for’ Glasto punters.

I guess Gaga has the legacy but Grande is in the ascendancy. They’re different types of bookings. If Grande plays it’s more like a Stormzy type choice whereas Lady Gaga would be someone to cross off the big list of heritage names. So, as the booker, it would depend on what kind of booking I wanted to make and who else I have.

I personally think ariana is very NOW, whereas Gaga and Taylor are both on the decline a bit, releasing albums but they’re not doing as well as they once were, Gaga’s last albums Joanna and art pop completely flopped, whereas everything Ariana releases goes straight to number 1 globally. Gaga and Taylor could and should still absolutely headline, and they have the HITS but if they wanted something very current they’d go Ariana in my opinion, with the rate she’s dropping albums she’ll probably have ANOTHER by then as well

But i’d be happy with all 3 

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

dentalplan's right, Dirty Pretty Things should headline Glastonbury and Bang Bang You're Dead is a monster hit.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The Commodores stuff was seventies.

Plenty of time to get 90s acts. They should be targeting the generation of performers who're about to start dropping like flies.

Although 80's stars are falling at a much higher rate than some of the 60's stars. (at least the real stars anyway!) 

1 hour ago, Suprefan said:

You mean at Coachella 2015 they had their own stage next to the main one? Last I recall since I was there, that wasnt the case. ( just saying ) 

At Download they did. They got paid 5 million at Coachella which was a hell of a sweetener. Glasto won't do that and no evidence ever to believe they bend rules out of sentimentality. If they did, theyd be playing Download on the cheap, not for 2 million.

1 minute ago, Superscally said:

At Download they did. They got paid 5 million at Coachella which was a hell of a sweetener. Glasto won't do that and no evidence ever to believe they bend rules out of sentimentality. If they did, theyd be playing Download on the cheap, not for 2 million.

They played the Toronto SARS benefit too.  

But I agree that even if they were a fully functioning entity they'd be on the far side of Fleetwood Mac in terms of probability.

16 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

They played the Toronto SARS benefit too.  

But I agree that even if they were a fully functioning entity they'd be on the far side of Fleetwood Mac in terms of probability.

A half gig at a benefit do isn't the norm. Maybe we could bill Glasto as a fundraiser for Oxfam/Water Aid/Greenpeace? ?

On 7/5/2019 at 1:37 AM, dentalplan said:

You forgot about Mac Miller dying? 

The thing is, in the end, for this coming year, and being as important as can be for the festival going forward, what do you do? They can be traditional because its 50 years and nobody faults them for it. Or you  push the envelope and throw in another young act and then theres upset people yet again. Or you just throw everyone  old and new on there and call it a day. Then the fight is how everyone ends up on the poster. 

And its interesting that now any female pop star is “done” when they turn 30. 

5 hours ago, Suprefan said:

You forgot about Mac Miller dying? 

The thing is, in the end, for this coming year, and being as important as can be for the festival going forward, what do you do? They can be traditional because its 50 years and nobody faults them for it. Or you  push the envelope and throw in another young act and then theres upset people yet again. Or you just throw everyone  old and new on there and call it a day. Then the fight is how everyone ends up on the poster. 

And its interesting that now any female pop star is “done” when they turn 30. 

What the fuck does her ex-boyfriend’s death have to do with her success?

Honestly I think Ariana Grande is that well known to people that the only people upset would have been upset if Lady Gaga or Taylor Swift were headlining.

And yes, it has sadly been the case throughout the history of pop music that women get looked at in a different light after they hit a certain age and have to fight pretty hard to stay up there.