2020 headliners

jj200

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Unless her stock plummets in the next 7 or 8 months Ariana's a headliner.

But doubt they'd have her the same year as Swizzle and it was Swizzle that could be spied loitering in a dark corner this year.

If the spier in question didn't hallucinate her, which is up for debate.

All I’m gonna say is in 2017 we thought it was Gaga and it ended up being Katy

In 2019 we thought it was Gaga and we got Miley.

Seems that whatever female pop act we think it is it turns out to be another we’ve not really discussed ? 

I think it’s easy to think of Swift as a front runner when there’s another big pop girl who is playing festivals (she’s doing a fair few festivals this year) and current in the market.

Id say there’s more to point to Ariana doing it than Swizzle. But that’s just me.

A lot of acts close to Ariana are Glastonbury regulars as well.

4 minutes ago, Cream Soda said:

Might be in the minority here but I don't see Ariana as a Glastonbury headliner.  Stormzy was quite a unique booking as it wasn't just about his music but the culture, the genre and the Britishness of it all that made it something special.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Ariana appear somewhere but I think she lacks the cool/quirky factor to headline that others such as Madge and Gaga would bring.

I don’t think you’re in the minority but that’s kind of the point. Reason I linked it to stormzy is that on paper it sounds like an iffy booking. However on the night I don’t doubt that literally half the festival would be in that crowd. 

If Ariana headlined glasto it would get a lot of press and would garner a pretty large crowd. Looking at her performances I don’t see her struggling to hold the crowd. Her sets are wall to wall with bangers.

I think Grande will do it, but I just don't see it for next year. She absolutely could headline next year and it would massive, I just think she's one for a few years down the line. Personally she hasn't clicked with me yet and I think she's a 1989 away from being a really legitimate top shelf act IMO. 

Next year is for Swift or Gaga.

1 minute ago, jparx said:

I think Grande will do it, but I just don't see it for next year. She absolutely could headline next year and it would massive, I just think she's one for a few years down the line. Personally she hasn't clicked with me yet and I think she's a 1989 away from being a really legitimate top shelf act IMO. 

Hmm I reckon a 1989 style album would actually ruin the chance of getting her though. She’s big at the moment but not too big that she’s out of the festivals reach.

Taylor swift has been at a height that is so massive that the festival probably struggle to get her to come down. It’s going to take Taylor to stop doing stadiums to get her to do Glasto imo.

Think i read somewhere that Ariana's recent tour was a very phoned in, so I really hope she works on improving her show if shes doing Glasto. Gaga seems like a more natural fit tbh if she ever gets around to sorting out that new album, and TSwizzle would obviously be awesome if she doesn't mind the pay cut

5 minutes ago, jparx said:

She’s bigger than either of those nowadays.

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

She’s bigger than either of those nowadays.

Chart wise Ariana is bigger than Taylor but Taylor is still selling out stadiums. I’m willing to bet that is a major factor in the reason why Taylor has never headlined a festival.

6 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Emily told me 2 years ago that they had 2 sorted - which can't have been very sorted cos she's saying now just one is sorted.

I'm wondering if one of those was Macca but then touring plans changed and they tried to fit him into this year.

Doesn't that tie in with a news article where Michael said in the lead up to 2017 that he'd had Ray Davies on the phone? I can remember getting giddy that he would play that year but it came to nothing. Perhaps it was lining up 2020 instead as a Kinks reunion? 

This has been burning in my head and dunno if anyone has asked but if Fleetwood Mac played, and it was the band still without Buckingham, would that be still be hugely appealing to the wider masses?? 

7 minutes ago, TaylorT said:

This has been burning in my head and dunno if anyone has asked but if Fleetwood Mac played, and it was the band still without Buckingham, would that be still be hugely appealing to the wider masses?? 

Aye, I do t think it would out people off and from just about everyone I know who have seen them said Neil Finn does a superb job.

It would be better with Buckingham but I don't feel like it's a huge sticking point. You've still got Nick's, Fleetwood and both McVies so the job would get done and it's go down a storm. I do t think they even deviate from the set list pre Buckingham leaving.

I've not followed the FM thing too closely recently, but haven't the setlists apparently been better post-Buckingham? He's one of my guitar idols so it'd be a shame for them to do Glastonbury without him, but it'd be pretty great anyway. Seeing Stevie Nicks up there ?