2020 headliners

jj200

Just now, eFestivals said:

my thinking is that they're booked as sub, but with the potential to step up to headliner depending what happens with headliners.

I know that's something the festival does (as a backup plan), so that seems to make sense towards a band that are owed a 'favour' for their secret set this year.

People keep mentioning Macca (based on Eavis’ comments a few months back) but didn’t you hear since he’s not in the frame for next year? Or do you think there’s a chance?

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

my thinking is that they're booked as sub, but with the potential to step up to headliner depending what happens with headliners.

I know that's something the festival does (as a backup plan), so that seems to make sense towards a band that are owed a 'favour' for their secret set this year.

Are we still thinking at this point that Noel Gallagher may sub next year going off the info that we had? I can imagine him happily subbing a Fleetwood Mac/Neil Young/McCartney

That's interesting, cheers. Would rather they headlined the Other as think that would be better but can defo see the logic. Will all become clear in the coming months I'm sure.

1 hour ago, jparx said:

Do you know the story with him this year? There must be some backstory to this one since he seemed pretty certain at one point. Were they close/did it fall through? In hindsight he's nowhere near Europe this summer anyway.

I don't know with any certainty they were trying to book him.

The word I originally heard about Macca came from someone who'd know, and Emily said in an interview around the beginning of June that they'd lost a headliner three months(ish) before.

Macca had (by the end of last year, I think) USA dates up until just before Glasto. Then there was a big lapse of time before a date was added for Glasto weekend - at around that '3 months' that Emily mentioned.

So while I don't know it was Macca with any certainty, I'm pretty much convinced that he was the planned headliner they didn't get.

And heard from an Eavii's lips, it won't be Macca next year despite what Michael said on camera - i guess because they already know he won't be touring.

1 hour ago, mufcok said:

Pure speculation mainly. From what I remember so far we've had

Fleetwood Mac - name dropped a lot by Emily as 'the ones they really want' and their hint at the Wembley gig

also:

Nick Dewey told Scottie in April that they'd definitely have Fleetwood Mac "within 5 years".

1 hour ago, mufcok said:

Paul McCartney - Michael said something along the lines of ''hopefully he's here for the 50th. Don't make a big thing of it though will you?''

see post just above - that's definitely not happening.

also:

Nick Dewey told Scottie in April that they'd definitely have Fleetwood Mac "within 5 years".

see post just above - that's definitely not happening.

Yeah I know, was just listing off what has been said by Michael/Emily about next year so far. 

25 minutes ago, didinowanttohearthat said:

Would be shocked if Foals headlined. If a band the size of say Biffy Clyro could only make it to sub then I don't see why they'd have Foals headlining over The 1975 or whatever if they're wanting a younger British band.

That’s fair. But obviously if it’s being discussed then your opinion or mine on their size doesn’t matter.

14 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

Yeah how many people outside of these boards are really going to know how often Pet Shop Boys have played over the course of the festival’s history?

I can’t imagine that they won’t be on the Eeviis radar as a much easier option than coaxing someone like Diana Ross out of her gilded diva palace like a badger out of its set.

I don’t mean that the public would complain, I mean that The Eevees are probably shooting way higher than a band who have played before and been knocking about at the Kendal Callings of the land since. They’ve probably been working on their Legends slot for a while rather than a lightbulb flashing over their head when Adam Scott as GOB Bluth brought them out on Saturday night.

I think they’re probably a similar fare to Chic really - would do a good job of the Legends slot but wouldn’t actually be in contention.

11 minutes ago, strummer77 said:

People keep mentioning Macca (based on Eavis’ comments a few months back) but didn’t you hear since he’s not in the frame for next year? Or do you think there’s a chance?

never believe a word Michael says, he makes it up on the fly. A wise woman once told me that, and I trust what she says. :D 

In April (after what Michael had said on TV) Nick Dewey categorically that it wouldn't be Macca next year.

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I don't know with any certainty they were trying to book him.

The word I originally heard about Macca came from someone who'd know, and Emily said in an interview around the beginning of June that they'd lost a headliner three months(ish) before.

Macca had (by the end of last year, I think) USA dates up until just before Glasto. Then there was a big lapse of time before a date was added for Glasto weekend - at around that '3 months' that Emily mentioned.

So while I don't know it was Macca with any certainty, I'm pretty much convinced that he was the planned headliner they didn't get.

And heard from an Eavii's lips, it won't be Macca next year despite what Michael said on camera - i guess because they already know he won't be touring.

Cheers Neil.

At least we can rule him out now and not have the late heartache of this year! It's a shame though - can't think of a more perfect headliner for the 50th. 

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

They leaned heavily into how badly they want FM on that Greatest Headliners BBC2 show recently too.

Certainly feels like they’re setting the groundwork.

I got the feeling from what Nick said that at the very least there's been a conversation where both sides have agreed it'll happen.

What I can't decide is whether it was hint that it's sorted already for next year.

I got the feeling from what Nick said that at the very least there's been a conversation where both sides have agreed it'll happen.

What I can't decide is whether it was hint that it's sorted already for next year.

Am I right in thinking that there was talk from the Eavis' last year that they already had 50th anniversary headliner sewn up? Adds some weight to it if so? 

1 minute ago, Havors said:

Am I right in thinking that there was talk from the Eavis' last year that they already had 50th anniversary headliner sewn up? Adds some weight to it if so? 

Emily told me 2 years ago that they had 2 sorted - which can't have been very sorted cos she's saying now just one is sorted.

I'm wondering if one of those was Macca but then touring plans changed and they tried to fit him into this year.

I think FM are fully signed up. I imagine they will be keen to avoid a situation where headliners fall through again, and for the 50th they will want to get a huge name banked ASAP. They're being very vocal about them, and if they're not fully signed up that seems like a fools game. 

I reckon they'll get announced a week or so after tickets are sold out. 

I'm cautious about thinking that. At the mo it doesn't really look likely they'll still be touring in June 2020, and I reckon it'll be too soon after the current tour for them to go back on the road.

Fleetwood Mac's only 2020 appearance, at Worthy Farm. Perfect, no? ?