2020 headliners

jj200

2 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Three number one albums, two of which were critically acclaimed, with a fourth on the way

Two massive arena tours including multiple nights at the O2

Already headlined Big Weekend and Latitude, and will headline Reading and Leeds in six weeks

Likely to make their set very outwardly political in line with the festival ethos etc

For a band that broke through less than six years ago, they couldn’t be more qualified 

I have absolutely no justification for it but I just cannot stand The 1975 for some reason and feel they don’t deserve to headline Glastonbury, despite everything you have said. 

Edit: listening to them on Spotify now and just feel like it’s music for TopShop changing rooms. 

Edited by gordong
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Three number one albums, two of which were critically acclaimed, with a fourth on the way

Two massive arena tours including multiple nights at the O2

Already headlined Big Weekend and Latitude, and will headline Reading and Leeds in six weeks

Likely to make their set very outwardly political in line with the festival ethos etc

For a band that broke through less than six years ago, they couldn’t be more qualified 

I stand corrected I've obviously never seen the appeal. 

5 minutes ago, Saint northover said:

Fair comment, really didn't realize they had sold that much and they had made it that big. 

I remember  seeing them on the other 2013 or 14 can't and fell asleep while everyone was dancing away to them. I was slightly pissed though. 

Yeah they played the fest three times on their first album, including just before Dolly which didn’t go very well, but they changed their sound up from the second album onwards and accordingly got a much more positive response on the Other Stage in 2016. They haven’t looked back since that, really.

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy
  • Upvote 1

What about Roger Waters doing The Wall or similar to what he did at BST? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

or would they book multiple artists to perform hits of the last 50 years? I remember a few years ago there was talk of a Chris Martin fronted super group - definitely wouldn’t be something I’d see but would be a celebration of everything that has happened before 

Edited by endswithMJ

It wasn’t until I saw the reception for Stormzy that I knew 1975 were ready to headline. It would be a shame if they were caught by the conservative booking style Glastonbury tends to have with newer bands.

they won’t sub anything in the UK ever again so why should they at glasto?

14 minutes ago, gordong said:

I’d argue that ticket sales doesn’t mean much in terms of qualification for Glastonbury (1D sold out three nights at Wembley stadium).

The 1975 have so far headlined Big Weekend (pop festival) and Reading & Leeds (notoriously young crowd). 

They’ve also headlined Latitude, and got a massive Other Stage crowd in 2016. They just played third down at Coachella, which is no mean feat for a British act. Their second album was nominated for the Mercury Prize and their third won the Brit Award for album of the year with a metacritic score of 83. They’ve been playlisted frequently on Radio 1 and Radio 2. What more are they supposed to do? If we’re gonna suddenly discount every usual metric typically used to assess whether or an act is suitable to headline then we may as well just have The Killers play all three slots every year and be done with it.

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

The 1975 are more than ready to headline. I can’t understand why people would think otherwise. 

In the uk, they are bigger than loads of bands that have headlined previously - arcade fire (terrible, terrible band who played an awful pyramid set) and kings of Leon spring to mind immediately. 

I love foals and would be at their headline set in a heartbeat but out of the two, id say the 1975 are ahead of the pack. 

1 minute ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

They’ve also headlined Latitude, and got a massive Other Stage crowd in 2016. They just played third down at Coachella, which is no mean feat for a British act. Their second album was nominated for the Mercury Prize and their third won the Brit Award for album of the year with a metacritic score of 83. They’ve been playlisted frequently on Radio 1 and Radio 2. What more are they supposed to do? If we’re gonna suddenly discount every usual metric typically used to assess whether or an act is suitable to headline then we may as well just have The Killers headline all three slots every year and be done with it.

These are all fair points and I can’t argue against them. I just don’t feel they are worthy for a Glastonbury headline slot as a matter of personal taste - it’s a totally shit argument from me, I know. 

People on here have a hard time distinguishing between their own personal dislike for a band and them obviously being objectively big enough to headline.

The 1975 defo fit this category. Back in 2015 or whenever I remember people on here saying Kasabian weren't big enough to headline despite them having headlined even other festival in the UK.

• Upvote 2

Gonna throw in a curveball. Rammstein

Yes they are a download band but they've done it a couple of times in the past few years (not unheard of for download) and Metallica have headlined to great success in the past

The only reason they came to mind is they've popped up on my recommended videos on youtube and I've solely been watching glasto clips the past few days. Maybe google know something

Highly doubt this would ever happen but I think it would be pretty cool

I don’t care how many records and tickets The 1975 have sold, the one thing that disqualifies them from headlining is really simple;

The fucking suck. Really and truly. They are an awful, awful band. Churning out some of the most laughably bad music known to man. I’d honestly rather listen to a load of cats being flung into a wood chipper for 2 hours than a 1975 headline set. 

Each to their own though. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, Rubber Soldier said:

I don’t care how many records and tickets The 1975 have sold, the one thing that disqualifies them from headlining is really simple;

The fucking suck. Really and truly. They are an awful, awful band. Churning out some of the most laughably bad music known to man. I’d honestly rather listen to a load of cats being flung into a wood chipper for 2 hours than a 1975 headline set. 

Each to their own though. 

Yet ed Sheeran was ok to headline? A motr busker?

Just now, sprocketrocket said:

Yet ed Sheeran was ok to headline? A motr busker?

He was the biggest male pop star on the planet at the time, and while he’s not to my taste, I can see why people would enjoy hi/ music and his set. 

With The 1975 I genuinely can’t fathom what anyone gets from them. They’re so, so bad. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, didinowanttohearthat said:

The 1975 defo fit this category. Back in 2015 or whenever I remember people on here saying Kasabian weren't big enough to headline despite them having headlined even other festival in the UK.

I hate The 1975 with a passion, but I can't see any reason other than I think they are dog shit that they shouldn't headline. One of the biggest British bands around at the moment. I just really hope they decline in popularity soon because they get right on my tits ?

Just now, Rubber Soldier said:

He was the biggest male pop star on the planet at the time, and while he’s not to my taste, I can see why people would enjoy hi/ music and his set. 

With The 1975 I genuinely can’t fathom what anyone gets from them. They’re so, so bad. 

Neither are to my taste I can't understand the appeal of either, but that was kind of my point I think. I don't know I'm still tired and emotional.

1 minute ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

The 1975 make much better pop songs than Ed Sheeran.

Agree with this, used to hate 1975 but can listen to some of their stuff and it translates live well. Left Ed after 5 songs as he played his only good track Bloodstream. Thought he was dreadful. Hacktivist in Shangri la were much better