2020 headliners

jj200

2 minutes ago, K2SO said:

Radiohead aren't exactly known for it either, but they put on a successful show 

Massively different.

Radiohead play their songs live in a way that resembles their records and did pull out most of their 'hits' for the show. I think Bob Dylan plays new arrangements and would not do the latter.

He could play somewhere, but no way his current shows could succeed with an expectant crowd in the Pyramid headliner slot if reports are accurate.

Just now, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I feel a tiny bit sorry for Florence, she’s been somewhat painted into a corner by her headline appearance. Can’t see how she’d headline again, but would she take a lower slot? If she hadn’t headlined when she did surely she’d have been back again this year?

She'll headline again within the next 3 festivals. Personally I'd say in that timeframe she's more guaranteed than any other artist. Even Coldplay.

3 minutes ago, incident said:

She'll headline again within the next 3 festivals. Personally I'd say in that timeframe she's more guaranteed than any other artist. Even Coldplay.

I guess it might depend on her next album now? I liked her last album, but to me it didn’t seem anywhere as prevalent and popular as her prior one that coincided with her headline appearance. That had a couple of mainstream hits on it.

Flo said something during her headline show about how there’d been stuff they’d wanted to do but hadn’t had time to sort because of the late notice. The stage production felt a bit underwhelming too. I’m sure she’d love to come back and do it ‘properly’, as it were. Assuming she isn’t touring again until 2021 after this summer, a second Flo headline set would be a much much better booking than Coldplay or Muse for the zillionth time.

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Plus he played a while back and didn't headline.

Yup. He could definitely play, but it would have to be a more niche slot for sure.

Hard to think of one really that suits. If Neil Young headlined again (or similar) he could go before him as at BST and the crowd awaiting the headliner may accept it... but before something fairly contemporary - probably not. The sub slot seems an awfully hard one to pull off at the best of times.

Maybe a West Holts headliner against someone huge but then he probably wouldn't take that and the crowd could be too big.

All these issues would be sorted if the mainstages could run on the Thursday. Shame.

If we had four headliners each year it would be much easier for those too big to sub too small to headline acts to get booked.

However it ain’t happening so this will remain an issue.

Edited by Matt42

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

All these issues would be sorted if the mainstages could run on the Thursday. Shame.

If we had four headliners each year it would be much easier for those too big to sub too small to headline acts to get booked.

However it ain’t happening so this will remain an issue.

I think forcibly lowering expectations by consistently not providing megastars for the next few years should eradicate the problem.

No chance would Emily book Dylan for the legend or to headline unless he was open to doing a very different kind of set, which just isn't going to happen. I do respect Dylan for just doing his own thing, but it's a shame he's not willing to do a "greatest hits" style set as it would totally destroy the Pyramid, even with his croaky voice.

Totally up for a Flo return. Year after next seems ideal if it syncs with a new album. She was ace the first time and that was on short notice with no major production. Who would even argue Kasabian should return before her ?

Still going for Blur ('Glastonbury house band') , Taylor (huge contemporary name) and FM (heritage). Ticks all boxes, something for (almost)everyone. 

That or Daft Punk ?

4 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I think forcibly lowering expectations by consistently not providing megastars for the next few years should eradicate the problem.

People are already getting silly ideas in their head about turning up next year to watch a headline trio of Oasis, Elton and Madonna with Coldplay subbing so it’s probably best Emily gives an interview reducing expectations ASAP if it’s going to end up being Foals, Jess Glynne and Pet Shop Boys. Don’t want riots now do we :lol: 

The 50th anniversary should provide enough incentive for 'bigger' acts to headline, hopefully at a reduced cost so that Emily can go after a really strong undercard. That would be the perfect outcome. 

That said, I already find it really tough managing the line up and getting around the stages in time to see who I want. 

Suppose it would all make for a lovely debrief/i-player catch up though. 

11 minutes ago, mufcok said:

On the Daft Punk thing, I'd be very interested to know if they have ever made an attempt to book them post 2007 and what response they got..

There were strong rumours in like 2010/2011 that they were in a position to play shows again, I think I remember @eFestivals  had some info that put them in a strong position to play at a Rockness. Assuming it was all a rumour or fell through. Ultra festival has heavily hinted they had them booked at one point also  

Its pretty crazy that it’s been 12 years since they played they their last show proper show. That’s longer than the gap between alive 1997 and 2007. 

To be honest, I can’t see them playing shows again. And if they did, I don’t think they could do anything as groundbreaking as the alive 2007 pyramid show. Times have moved on, electronic live shows are a whole different ballgame now. 

Dont get me wrong though, if they played anywhere in the western world, I’d fly to see them.

Edited by gordong

2 minutes ago, gordong said:

There were strong rumours in like 2010/2011 that they were in a position to play shows again, I think I remember @eFestivals  had some info that put them in a strong position to play at a Rockness. Assuming it was all a rumour or fell through. Ultra festival has heavily hinted they had them booked at one point also  

Its pretty crazy that it’s been 12 years since they played they their last show proper show. That’s longer than the gap between alive 1997 and 2007. 

To be honest, I can’t see them playing again. And if they did, I don’t think they could do anything as groundbreaking as the alive 2007 pyramid show. Times have moved on, electronic live shows are a whole different ballgame now. 

Dont get me wrong though, if they played anywhere in the western world, I’d fly to see them.

There was the 2017 Daft Punk/Stone Roses rumour heartbreak as well

Just now, gordong said:

They heavily implied they were done after their Hampden show last year - feel like that ship has sailed. 

They've been on the betting list all along as well, always are. That ship has well and truly sailed now, it was shit or bust in 2017 for them

25 minutes ago, Saint northover said:

I really don't get the thinking behind the 1975 am I missing something? 

Three number one albums, two of which were critically acclaimed, with a fourth on the way

Multiple Brit awards including Album of the Year

Two massive arena tours including multiple nights at the O2

Already headlined Big Weekend and Latitude, and will headline Reading and Leeds in seven weeks time

Likely to make their set very outwardly political in line with the festival ethos etc

For a band that broke through less than six years ago, they couldn’t be more qualified 

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy
  • Upvote 3