2020 headliners

jj200

6 hours ago, parsonjack said:

Ok...need to re-phrase...the name I've heard (if true) would be unexpected and would raise a few questioning eyebrows...but would be otherwise welcomed by a lot of punters....especially if rumours of fresh material before then are realised.

We're all focusing on the 50th being a pantheon of stellar headliners who haven't played before...kind of save the best for the big party...but what if GFL chose to celebrate in a more retrospective manner.....a kind of 'best bits'....?

Prob said too much now....but it isn't Marc Bolan and T-Rex.

The Stone Roses? They were due to play the 25th Anniversary so why not the 50th? 

6 hours ago, parsonjack said:

Ok...need to re-phrase...the name I've heard (if true) would be unexpected and would raise a few questioning eyebrows...but would be otherwise welcomed by a lot of punters....especially if rumours of fresh material before then are realised.

We're all focusing on the 50th being a pantheon of stellar headliners who haven't played before...kind of save the best for the big party...but what if GFL chose to celebrate in a more retrospective manner.....a kind of 'best bits'....?

Prob said too much now....but it isn't Marc Bolan and T-Rex.

Pulp?...

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

Haven’t they fallen out again?

Unofficially split up. It would take big money for them to do it, really don't see that happening.. or any gigs for them at all. Ian will probably be touring solo by the end of this year/early next

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

They're past the point of changing their trajectory upon release of new albums. They're not gonna penetrate new markets now. If they're booked to headline it's cos of the level they're at now.

Agreed, but it wouldn’t feel like a particularly exciting booking for the general public. When they are inevitably booked to headline it’ll be because the festival can’t attract anyone bigger and it’s their turn.

They need something to make their booking exciting rather than “well they haven’t done it so I suppose it’s their turn”.

1 hour ago, strummer77 said:

They bumped her up with about two weeks notice until the festival. 

I know, I was in the pit, but she should’ve been booked to headline in the first place, especially when they were so desperate for a third headliner that they literally had to ask a band to cancel a gig in another country to do it. If Stormzy being given the gig means we’re returning to the early-2000s willingness to take a chance on upcoming acts then that’s fantastic. I can take or leave George Ezra but he ought to be given a chance on his next album, same with Billie Eilish if she continues her trajectory.

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

9 hours ago, didinowanttohearthat said:

Really don't see them as being big enough. Seem the type to do it just the once.

AF played on the Reflektor tour, they’ve only released one album since and that was pretty underwhelming.

Agree that they are a one-shot act, if they ever do return to the farm it won’t be as headliners.

5 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Agreed, but it wouldn’t feel like a particularly exciting booking for the general public. When they are inevitably booked to headline it’ll be because the festival can’t attract anyone bigger and it’s their turn.

They need something to make their booking exciting rather than “well they haven’t done it so I suppose it’s their turn”.

I think for most first-time headliners, the first go at it is exciting enough in itself. And it's not like most people out there do actually hold these high standards of what is deemed an interesting option - they just want a band whose songs they know and can dance about a bit to.

45 minutes ago, mufcok said:

Can't see any myself after a good search. Your best bet at this point would be to request it through skybet, assuming it still isn't on there..

Yup done that.....waiting for it to appear on the list.

I'm prob going to get ridiculed for this but there are precedents, some good reasons and the source is a reasonably good one (although I'm not revealing who obvs).  Everyone else's choice whether to have a go on it.

It's nowhere near as daft as Foo Fighters playing in Frome though....and look what happened there!

2 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

I know, I was in the pit, but she should’ve been booked to headline in the first place, especially when they were so desperate for a third headliner that they literally had to ask a band to cancel a gig in another country to do it. If Stormzy being given the gig means we’re returning to the early-2000s willingness to take a chance on upcoming acts then that’s fantastic.

If that’s the case then why not Wolf Alice? They would actually tick a lot of boxes - female fronted, first time headliners having worked their way up, critically acclaimed (Mercury Prize).

They’d need a killer album between now and next June to make it happen.*

*It won’t happen before anyone gets argumentative, I’m just tossing ideas out.

2 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

Yup done that.....waiting for it to appear on the list.

I'm prob going to get ridiculed for this but there are precedents, some good reasons and the source is a reasonably good one (although I'm not revealing who obvs).  Everyone else's choice whether to have a go on it.

It's nowhere near as daft as Foo Fighters playing in Frome though....and look what happened there!

It’s Coldplay, isn’t it?

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Why not both and then George Ezra for the third night? Make the festival exciting and relevant again.

The National for the dads, George Ezra for the mums, Wolf Alice for... their own dads and mums?

Edited by dentalplan

12 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

I know, I was in the pit, but she should’ve been booked to headline in the first place, especially when they were so desperate for a third headliner that they literally had to ask a band to cancel a gig in another country to do it. If Stormzy being given the gig means we’re returning to the early-2000s willingness to take a chance on upcoming acts then that’s fantastic. I can take or leave George Ezra but he ought to be given a chance on his next album, same with Billie Eilish if she continues her trajectory.

Oh I see. Sorry I thought you meant her being booked was a conservative choice. Was a bit confused.