2020 headliners

jj200

4 hours ago, brettredmayne said:

Wouldn't shock me to see some bigger bands that are friends with the festival in lower slots then normal 

Muse, blur, coldplay, pulp, Radiohead

Every chance any of them would do something like open the pyramid with it been the 50th

that was Emily's exact quote practically (minus the friends bit) at the onset of the 40th in 2010 before Scissor Sisters, Faithless, and Dizzee Rascal were revealed as pyramid subs 

41 minutes ago, tevaburger said:

that was Emily's exact quote practically (minus the friends bit) at the onset of the 40th in 2010 before Scissor Sisters, Faithless, and Dizzee Rascal were revealed as pyramid subs 

But don’t forget the “Special Guest Pyramid Openers” we had that year: Rolf Harris, Tinchy Stryder and the Yeovil Town Band.

I'm still pretty set on Blur being there. Just seems right to me.

Like many others, I originally thought Elton John was a shoo-in until the Fleetwood Mac comments. I'd say Fleetwood are more likely with what we've got so far.

I think the third headliner will be someone more contemporary. I know Emily has said she'd like Madonna, Fleetwood and Elton (was that the trio?), but I think they'd try to shy away from having three vintage acts headlining the same year. Apart from it being unlikely due to prices etc, it wouldn't be very forward thinking, and the festival should be celebrating current trends in music as well as old for its 50th anniversary. Personally I think it'll be between Kendrick Lamar and Lady Gaga for the third headliner.

Blur, Lady Gaga and Fleetwood Mac is what I'm sticking with for now.

2 minutes ago, Bradders said:

But don’t forget the “Special Guest Pyramid Openers” we had that year: Rolf Harris, Tinchy Stryder and the Yeovil Town Band.

and "past headliners of the festival sprinkled throughout the 3 days" - when we got just Levellers and Ash, at same time as Stevie Wonder's finale... 

I don’t think Coldplay, a band who have remained relevant in recent years by huge stage show performances would play a lower slot. 

Call me a Debbie downer but I can totally see them being drafted in for a lower slot on the basis that they will probably be called to headline when Fleetwood Mac tell the eavi to fuck off again.

Also apart from Ghost stories I’m pretty sure they have played on every single album cycle right? Seems they plan their tours with Glastonbury in mind.

many festivals across the world have their house band headliner which plays too much. I guess ours is Coldplay.

Edited by Matt42

28 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I don’t think Coldplay, a band who have remained relevant in recent years by huge stage show performances would play a lower slot. 

Call me a Debbie downer but I can totally see them being drafted in for a lower slot on the basis that they will probably be called to headline when Fleetwood Mac tell the eavi to fuck off again.

Also apart from Ghost stories I’m pretty sure they have played on every single album cycle right? Seems they plan their tours with Glastonbury in mind.

many festivals across the world have their house band headliner which plays too much. I guess ours is Coldplay.

They didn't play on the viva la Vida album cycle as well.

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I would say the opposite - their long and storied history with the festival makes them more likely to accept a lower slot. 

Nobody in their right mind would think “oh they’re only subbing so they’re no longer as relevant”, most would see it for what it is - A special set for a festival they hold dear.

6 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

I would say the opposite - their long and storied history with the festival makes them more likely to accept a lower slot. 

Nobody in their right mind would think “oh they’re only subbing so they’re no longer as relevant”, most would see it for what it is - A special set for a festival they hold dear.

Itll be about 2 weeks off 20 years since Parachutes was released, so maybe something to mark that? If they did that in full it's not a headline slot as it's nowhere near their usual show but would be something special! Has to be Pyramid though

5 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

Itll be about 2 weeks off 20 years since Parachutes was released, so maybe something to mark that? If they did that in full it's not a headline slot as it's nowhere near their usual show but would be something special! Has to be Pyramid though

Yeah I think they are going to get a 3rd down slot, I think it's a poor Legend choice as it's not like they are a rare booking that will only do it once etc. They will certainly fit in anywhere on the Pyramid that Eavis need then to but I'd agree headliner 3 festivals later would be poor.

6 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

I was at their slot in New Bands tent in 1999. Met them in UCL union and they asked me if I was going to Glasto. Saw them and told my mate who studied with Johnny and Guy:

"They're alright, like, but they're not gonna make it big, are they?"

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Superscally said:

I was at their slot in New Bands tent in 1999. Met them in UCL union and they asked me if I was going to Glasto. Saw them and told my mate who studied with Johnny and Guy:

There’s still time for them.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Superscally said:

That's brilliant

Their documentary on Amazon is amazing btw, I know people don't like them but it's a great (and very honest) insight into how a band works 

2 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

That's brilliant

Their documentary on Amazon is amazing btw, I know people don't like them but it's a great (and very honest) insight into how a band works 

Was a very surreal experience. Chris was sat down the far end of the table writing lyrics of stuff that would find its way into A Rush of Blood, drinking coke with a huge mop of curly hair. 

"Who's that?"

"Ah that's Chris the singer."

"He not want to sit with us? ?"

"Nah, he busy writing lyrics. He's a bit funny like that!"

????

I will definitely check that out. You seen the documentary about U2 writing Achtung Baby? Good.

My pyramid dream 

Friday - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

Saturday - Blur

Sunday - Fleetwood Mac

Legend - Elton John 

Nick Could OWN that pyramid and it's the right time - but I'd say what's more likely is that he'd headline the Other Stage, and they'd stick a younger act on there.  

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, djdavejohnson said:

Not sure if it was Liam's wishful thinking (to headline), but he thanked Michael and Emily yesterday for his Glastonbury 'residency' and said next year will be the hat trick...

They can’t really put him on headlining next year,  but last time he kept saying “next year” he was right. Maybe a secret set? Up against Noel. :lol:

Didn't know this thread existed, have to learn to use the search function more. 

Read this - https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/jun/30/glastonbury-gender-balance-performers-headline-acts-men

Could it be Madonna's year? Lady Gaga after she finishes her latest residency in Las Vegas (Thanks @Suprefan for the info on that one)
It wouldn't so hard to form a new show in a month I would think, she must be pretty used to chopping and changing at the drop of a hat.

Florence isn't so relevant anymore, is she? Taylor Swift doesn't do a lot of festivals as I understand it, altho I'm not totally sure. I guess once upon a time Adele said she didn't like to play festivals and then she did Glastonbury anyway, so Taylor could change her mind.

Fri: Foals

Sat: Madonna, Lady Gaga, P!nk, Swift

Sun: Fleetwood Mac

Legend - Paul McCartney, or Elton 

20 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Didn't know this thread existed, have to learn to use the search function more. 

Read this - https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/jun/30/glastonbury-gender-balance-performers-headline-acts-men

Could it be Madonna's year? Lady Gaga after she finishes her latest residency in Las Vegas (Thanks @Suprefan for the info on that one)
It wouldn't so hard to form a new show in a month I would think, she must be pretty used to chopping and changing at the drop of a hat.

Florence isn't so relevant anymore, is she? Taylor Swift doesn't do a lot of festivals as I understand it, altho I'm not totally sure. I guess once upon a time Adele said she didn't like to play festivals and then she did Glastonbury anyway, so Taylor could change her mind.

Gaga has fibromyalgia which might affect her live schedule. Don’t really know about that one but she hasn’t toured a lot in the last few years. Taylor Swift might change her mind when she sees the figures on this new album but still don’t see it. Madonna will always be way too expensive imo.

I think as far as female representation goes, Fleetwood Mac lead the pack by some distance.

I don’t think Elton or Paul McCartney will be doing the legend slot. Should lower those expectations significantly. Cher was apparently approached about playing this year but turned it down cos of the money (tabloid rumours like) but maybe they might have a chance next time out if her people see the calibre of acts playing for cut-price.

23 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Madonna and Fleetwood are two acts that Emily has always said she’s wanted to book. However the reason why they haven’t played so far is because they can’t accept the lower fee. 

Whilst it’s too early to say anything yet if one of them is to do it, it’l be because they’ve keeled over to the demand. Not because Emily is looking for a balanced trio of headliners.

On a side note i’m not going to get caught up this time in the inevitable rumours that Madge and Fleetwood are doing it.

instead I’m gonna put my chips on the table and say there will be a blur reunion some point before 2020 :P 

give us a fantastic evening where it’s blur subbed by pulp!