2020 headliners

jj200

Just now, SomeoneListeningIn said:

The irony.

Always been very exciting live for me everytime i've seen them. Maybe a bit biased given the fact i bumped into 3 of them in a pub once and is probably the only vaguely interesting anecdote i possess

1 hour ago, Livvy13 said:

Sorry to bring up 2020 in the midst of the build up for this year but I just wanted to double check do we know the exact dates for 2020 yet? I've got a mate potentially coming over from Australia for it and she needs to book time off a year in advance so just wanted to make sure.

Always the last weekend in June. Seems a bit ridiculous carbon footprint wise to come over just for the festival, given its ecological leanings. Maybe combine it with other travelling and take more time off work. 

• Downvote 5

1 minute ago, Superscally said:

Always the last weekend in June. Seems a bit ridiculous carbon footprint wise to come over just for the festival, given its ecological leanings. Maybe combine it with other travelling and take more time off work. 

Agreed. She should have made sure she was born in the UK, at a push France. The cheek of it.

• Upvote 7

7 minutes ago, Superscally said:

Always the last weekend in June. Seems a bit ridiculous carbon footprint wise to come over just for the festival, given its ecological leanings. Maybe combine it with other travelling and take more time off work

That obviously depends on their personal situation, maybe they don't have that luxury? If someone wants to spend all that money and time travelling to get to this amazing festival that we all love, let's not make them feel bad about it. They'd still be doing the same flights anyway, they'd just be further apart!

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

That obviously depends on their personal situation, maybe they don't have that luxury? If someone wants to spend all that money and time travelling to get to this amazing festival that we all love, let's not make them feel bad about it. They'd still be doing the same flights anyway, they'd just be further apart!

Yup, but they could do other things they'd want to do and not do another trip in the future. Sod those downvotes, I just think it's against the festival's ethos. Ask Greenpeace if they think it's cool? 

• Downvote 1

40 minutes ago, Superscally said:

Yup, but they could do other things they'd want to do and not do another trip in the future. Sod those downvotes, I just think it's against the festival's ethos. Ask Greenpeace if they think it's cool? 

I’ve contacted Greenpeace for their thoughts on @Livvy13‘s friend having the bare-faced cheek to consider traveling from Australia to attend Glastonbury next year. I’ll let you know.

#Glastonbrexit

• Upvote 1

The world isn't going to be saved by trying to convince people to stop flying or driving, and neither should it. We need to make travel sustainable, not try to stop people doing it.

There will be far more vehicles (especially autonomous vehicles) driving and flying around the world because the population is increasing and so is our need to move ourselves and our stuff around. None of which will matter if it's all done using solar power or eventually  even batteries charged with power from fusion plants and other forms of renewable energy.

The politics needs to change, Livvy's mate not taking a flight (even if millions follow her) is only going to be a temporary solution, sticking a plaster on it.

// Mini rant over.

Edited by bombfrog

24 minutes ago, henry bear said:

I’ve contacted Greenpeace for their thoughts on @Livvy13‘s friend having the bare-faced cheek to consider traveling from Australia to attend Glastonbury next year. I’ll let you know.

#Glastonbrexit

7 minutes ago, Odessa said:

@Superscally Please make sure you log onto efestivals for approval from random strangers on all yr trips in future. Nice one mate.

Yawn. 

1 minute ago, bombfrog said:

The world isn't going to be saved by trying to convince people to stop flying or driving, and neither should it. We need to make travel sustainable, not try to stop people doing it.

There will be far more vehicles (especially autonomous vehicles) driving and flying around the world because the population is increasing and so is our need to move ourselves and our stuff around. None of which will matter if it's all done using solar power or eventually  even batteries charged with power from fusion plants and other forms of renewable energy.

The politics needs to change, Livvy's mate not taking a flight (even if millions follow her) is only going to be a temporary solution, sticking a plaster on it.

// Mini rant over.

Correct, not a rant at all. I was saying that coming over for just Glastonbury is a bit frivolous and jarring considering what the festival is for. I've actually done the same trip before, but combined it with the need to see family over a few weeks, saving the need to do it another time of the year and I also double carbon offset my flights (as I do with all my non-essential travel) with Atmosfair, the organisation with the best reputation in the business so it's clear I'm not advocating not travelling, but considering the necessity and impact of it is what we have to do now.

18 minutes ago, FatAmmy said:

That plane is still going to fly across the ocean whether one single Glastonbury attendee is on it or not

That's a bit like saying "well someone is going to the eat that burger, so it may as well be me, the cow is already dead." 

It's not about the impact of your flight/burger it's the fact that demand is demonstrated, leading to increased production. 

Also...if we're being picky, it's still likely to be another 100kg of weight being moved so it will have an impact no matter how small it is. The thing is, we have to consider our small actions now. 

2 minutes ago, Jakeyboi135 said:

And yet plenty of acts will fly in specifically for the festival and fly back to their home nation, without so much as a mummur from the festival

Your job isn't non-essential travel if it requires you to be there in person. In addition, it's very rare, or at least a heavy minority of acts that fly across the world and back for a one off gig.

8 minutes ago, Superscally said:

Yawn. 

Never caught a flight just to go on holiday? Do you ever use a car when you could have gone on public transport or a bike? 

Whilst Glastonbury has a well-intentioned ethos, let’s face it - it has a huge carbon imprint. Bands and audience travel from all over the world to attend. 

I’d have thought that the person potentially travelling from Australia would in all likelihood be attending for longer than the duration of the festival - combining it with visiting friends etc, but ultimately it’s up to them and not you.

4 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Never caught a flight just to go on holiday? Do you ever use a car when you could have gone on public transport or a bike? 

Whilst Glastonbury has a well-intentioned ethos, let’s face it - it has a huge carbon imprint. Bands and audience travel from all over the world to attend. 

I’d have thought that the person potentially travelling from Australia would in all likelihood be attending for longer than the duration of the festival - combining it with visiting friends etc, but ultimately it’s up to them and not you.

Yep I have. I still will. Didn't carbon offset or consider alternatives in the past, now I do. I'm not perfect, but I'm trying to be better. I love Meredith Festival in Melbourne as much as Glastonbury, but I'd never go there just for that. Not calling the person in question a devil for doing that, but saying if they took a more reasoned approach the dates of the festival wouldn't be so important, like say if they were coming over for a few weeks. If they can't, they can't, but personally I think flying over for something that is purely for personal enjoyment (assuming no other mitigating factors) is irresponsible at this point. Environmental organisations would all agree, it's fine if you don't. I'm happy with my stance. 

2 minutes ago, Superscally said:

Yep I have. I still will. Didn't carbon offset or consider alternatives in the past, now I do. I'm not perfect, but I'm trying to be better. I love Meredith Festival in Melbourne as much as Glastonbury, but I'd never go there just for that. Not calling the person in question a devil for doing that, but saying if they took a more reasoned approach the dates of the festival wouldn't be so important, like say if they were coming over for a few weeks. If they can't, they can't, but personally I think flying over for something that is purely for personal enjoyment (assuming no other mitigating factors) is irresponsible at this point. Environmental organisations would all agree, it's fine if you don't. I'm happy with my stance. 

I agree, and I am trying to not fly as much....but I don't really see why flying over for a festival is any worse than flying somewhere for a holiday abroad, especially if the festival is taken as ones' annual holiday (as it is for me this year).

I also personally think that big businesses/international conferences etc etc have far more to answer for and should be looking for alternatives far more proactively, but that's just IMHO 

6 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

I agree, and I am trying to not fly as much....but I don't really see why flying over for a festival is any worse than flying somewhere for a holiday abroad, especially if the festival is taken as ones' annual holiday (as it is for me this year).

I also personally think that big businesses/international conferences etc etc have far more to answer for and should be looking for alternatives far more proactively, but that's just IMHO 

It's just how far it is. Being very careful not to demonise this girl or her pal for asking, that's not my intention. Business travel in the age of video conferencing has to be under massive scrutiny. It just seemed from the question on dates that there was a narrow window of travel and personally I think flying to Oz/NZ for a week to ten days has to be a bit sketchy, but that of course, might not be the case. I only really got on my high horse about it after people got the wrong end of the stick of what I was saying. ?

Combining it with other stuff will most likely have more on an environmental impact as it will surely involve getting coaches / train / more flights / car rides to get around tbf.

In all seriousness, I actually agree with what you're getting at @Superscally, and think it makes sense.  If you can block out a 2 week window for the trip you could ensure your dates will be right, get over any jet lag so you can enjoy the fest more, fit in a few other cool things and also have the slight environmental advantage too. Win / win / win / win.

I appreciate that taking 2 weeks out might not be feasible, and I imagine that she has already considered most of these things though