Main stage versus personal highlights

Watergirl

Was just folding laundry including a lot of Glastonbury T-shirts. General consensus is that the first line up announcement for this year is mediocre, but of course it is not about the main stage headliners. Out of curiosity I checked how many bands that made it onto the T-shirt I actually saw, versus my personal highlights from that year.  I don't do downtime and try to catch full sets so I see about 25 acts over a festival.

Saw 5 bands that made it onto the T-shirt: Foo Fighters, Liam Gallagher, Songhoy Blues, Shaggy, Lisa Hannigan.

Favourite sets: The Young 'Uns, Khruangbin, Sharon Shannon, Justin Townes Earle, the Pretenders.

Saw 6 acts from the T-shirt: Underworld, New Order, P J Harvey, Cyndi Lauper, Kurt Vile, Rokia Traoré..

Favourite sets: P J Harvey, Sharon Shannon, Beans On Toast, Hothouse Flowers, Cyndi Lauper.

Saw 10 acts from the T-shirt; it was a good year but also the print on the shirt was much smaller, hence space for more names: The Who, Florence and the Machine, Motörhead, Patti Smith, the Waterboys, Hozier, Frank Turner, Suede, Billy Bragg, Akala.

Favourite sets: Patti Smith, Frank Turner, the Waterboys, the Who, Suede.

Saw 9 acts from the T-shirt: Metallica, Jack White, Dolly Parton, Elbow, the Black Keys, Robert Plant, Massive Attack, Rodrigo y Gabriela, Wilko Johnson.

Favourite sets: Robert Plant, Metallica, Holly Williams, Beans On Toast, Elbow.

Don't have a T-shirt (remember buying a Stones one instead).

Favourite sets: Rolling Stones, Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, Billy Bragg, Sinéad O'Connor, Primal Scream.

Saw 6 acts from the T-shirt: U2, Coldplay, Morrissey, Primal Scream, Queens of the Stone Age, Hothouse Flowers

Favourite sets: U2, Bellowhead, the Low Anthem, Elbow, Wine Women and Song.

Edited by Watergirl

12 hours ago, Watergirl said:

Was just folding laundry including a lot of Glastonbury T-shirts. General consensus is that the first line up announcement for this year is mediocre, but of course it is not about the main stage headliners. Out of curiosity I checked how many bands that made it onto the T-shirt I actually saw, versus my personal highlights from that year.  I don't do downtime and try to catch full sets so I see about 25 acts over a festival.

Saw 5 bands that made it onto the T-shirt: Foo Fighters, Liam Gallagher, Songhoy Blues, Shaggy, Lisa Hannigan.

Favourite sets: The Young 'Uns, Khruangbin, Sharon Shannon, Justin Townes Earle, the Pretenders.

Saw 6 acts from the T-shirt: Underworld, New Order, P J Harvey, Cyndi Lauper, Kurt Vile, Rokia Traoré..

Favourite sets: P J Harvey, Sharon Shannon, Beans On Toast, Hothouse Flowers, Cyndi Lauper.

Saw 10 acts from the T-shirt; it was a good year but also the print on the shirt was much smaller, hence space for more names: The Who, Florence and the Machine, Motörhead, Patti Smith, the Waterboys, Hozier, Frank Turner, Suede, Billy Bragg, Akala.

Favourite sets: Patti Smith, Frank Turner, the Waterboys, the Who, Suede.

Saw 9 acts from the T-shirt: Metallica, Jack White, Dolly Parton, Elbow, the Black Keys, Robert Plant, Massive Attack, Rodrigo y Gabriela, Wilko Johnson.

Favourite sets: Robert Plant, Metallica, Holly Williams, Beans On Toast, Elbow.

Don't have a T-shirt (remember buying a Stones one instead).

Favourite sets: Rolling Stones, Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, Billy Bragg, Sinéad O'Connor, Primal Scream.

Saw 6 acts from the T-shirt: U2, Coldplay, Morrissey, Primal Scream, Queens of the Stone Age, Hothouse Flowers

Favourite sets: U2, Bellowhead, the Low Anthem, Elbow, Wine Women and Song.

Metallica were class in 2014! 

Highlight 2014: Not sure, my first one so it was all a joyous blur of wonder....Maybe Dolly wins for the craic, but also a lot of dancing at arcadia/in the SE Corner to all sorts of random stuff. Also really enjoyed Thursday night that year as well actually, a lot more dancing (very drunkenly) to random stuff. 

Highlight 2016: Dhakabaraka. Definitely not on the poster, but totally amazing!

Highlight 2017: Radiohead. Obviously on the poster.... :)

• Upvote 1

On 3/19/2019 at 11:23 AM, Sasperella said:

Agree. DakhaBrakha were amazing! I was at that. I had seen them before, so the utter surprise from seeing them for the first time wasn’t there, but all the same they were brilliant.

On 3/19/2019 at 11:23 AM, Sasperella said:

35 minutes ago, Watergirl said:

Agree. DakhaBrakha were amazing! I was at that. I had seen them before, so the utter surprise from seeing them for the first time wasn’t there, but all the same they were brilliant.

+1 for DakhaBrakha!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Watergirl said:

38 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

+1 for DakhaBrakha!

Dancing in the pissing down rain has never been so fun!