Pedestrian gate B

poppyh24

This year were staying over at Tangerine Fiels, so will be entering via PGB. Anyone know what the queues are like over there? I have to disappear quite early to get the daughter to her prom on the Wednesday (what a stupid day for the school to book it!) so wondering if it'll just be worth abandoning Wednesday and heading in on Thursday instead ?

10 hours ago, poppyh24 said:

This year were staying over at Tangerine Fiels, so will be entering via PGB. Anyone know what the queues are like over there? I have to disappear quite early to get the daughter to her prom on the Wednesday (what a stupid day for the school to book it!) so wondering if it'll just be worth abandoning Wednesday and heading in on Thursday instead ?

If you're staying outside the fence then surely an advantage is you won't need to queue?

There are 2 types of queue to get into the festival. First the traffic queue and then the pedestrian queue at the gates. Traffic queues are much less these days since the opening of parking on Tuesday night so your journey to Tangerine Fields should be relatively pain free....unless there is a repeat of the 2015 problems where sodden parking fields caused huge delays.Then there is the issue of queuing at the gates to get into the festival.

In 2017 we arrived by car around noon enjoying an unimpeded traffic free journey into the parking fields. It then took an hour of queuing at the gate to get in. Friends who arrived later around 6pm said they queued for 10 minutes. 

The Wednesday of the fest is when most people arrive and for the vast majority this means getting in, finding a spot and setting up camp. Followed by getting your bearings, chilling out and seeking out what entertainment is on offer. For the majority this involves drinking & eating as the fest slowly cranks up from late afternoon onwards in small venues/bars/cafes.

Taking advantage of Tangerine Fields means missing out on the fun of setting up camp but you will find a slowly diminishing queue at the gate at the day progresses. Only you can decide whether it's worth entering the site on Wednesday. Musically and entertainment wise there is much more to be had on the Thursday whilst the main stages don't open until Friday.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jfaragher said:

Depends which wristband you have. If you have an EPO, which some of the external campsites issue, you can use Mary's Gate as well (5 mins walk from PGB). 

If you don't, queues calm down in the afternoon, before picking up again early evening. 

What does EPO stand for please ?

36 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

What does EPO stand for please ?

Easy Pass Out.

It's the wristband that is issued to workers (and some campers) that are camped outside of the main site.  Having an EPO means you don't have to show your ticket or get a pass out when exiting/entering the festival

5 minutes ago, Kinkyinuit said:

Easy Pass Out.

It's the wristband that is issued to workers (and some campers) that are camped outside of the main site.  Having an EPO means you don't have to show your ticket or get a pass out when exiting/entering the festival

Thank you - I'm working for the first time this year so used to having to keep my ticket/pass etc, and had seen poeple talking about EPO wristbands but had no idea what they were - guess I'll have one of those this year then :-)

3 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Thank you - I'm working for the first time this year so used to having to keep my ticket/pass etc, and had seen poeple talking about EPO wristbands but had no idea what they were - guess I'll have one of those this year then ?

Depends who you're working with.  For example - Oxfam Volunteers tend to have EPO as they are camped outside the fence.  If your crew  camp (or marketplace, for traders) is inside the fence, you'll likely have a standard crew / trader wristband, which also needs you to keep your ticket and pass.

4 hours ago, jfaragher said:

Depends who you're working with.  For example - Oxfam Volunteers tend to have EPO as they are camped outside the fence.  If your crew  camp (or marketplace, for traders) is inside the fence, you'll likely have a standard crew / trader wristband, which also needs you to keep your ticket and pass.

ahha - we are inside the fence so maybe will need passout etc - will I have a ticket ? I get my wristband when I'm onsite I think ... oh well all will come out in the wash I'm sure

48 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

ahha - we are inside the fence so maybe will need passout etc - will I have a ticket ? I get my wristband when I'm onsite I think ... oh well all will come out in the wash I'm sure

Previously, it worked like this, though it may change this year.

You should receive a crew ticket, with your name on it, but probably not your photo.  You turn up on the day you're supposed to turn up (i.e. Monday) and get your ticket checked and the stub taken at the gate, but no wristband issued.  You then go to see whoever you're working for / the relevant zone office / marketplace manager and they will provide a wristband.  Of course, you may receive a ticket with the wrong name on it, or a public entry ticket (some crews want more people than their allocation, and buy tickets), which will need to be checked by the gate staff etc.

5 minutes ago, jfaragher said:

Previously, it worked like this, though it may change this year.

You should receive a crew ticket, with your name on it, but probably not your photo.  You turn up on the day you're supposed to turn up (i.e. Monday) and get your ticket checked and the stub taken at the gate, but no wristband issued.  You then go to see whoever you're working for / the relevant zone office / marketplace manager and they will provide a wristband.  Of course, you may receive a ticket with the wrong name on it, or a public entry ticket (some crews want more people than their allocation, and buy tickets), which will need to be checked by the gate staff etc.

I'm part of the bin painting team so will be onsite from the 8th June - and I know I don't get a wristband until 2 weeks later (when we've finished our work) - going to be a great and intersting experience for sure :-)

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Funkyfairy! said:

I'm part of the bin painting team so will be onsite from the 8th June - and I know I don't get a wristband until 2 weeks later (when we've finished our work) - going to be a great and intersting experience for sure ?

Wow.. that should be cool

On 3/18/2019 at 8:24 PM, poppyh24 said:

As far as I know WV is the only external campsite (for regular punters) that issue EPO wrist bands. I stayed in Tangerine in 2013 and you needed to show your ticket each time along with the pass out ticket they give you when leaving the site again, no real issues unless you lose either of them.

As to the queues, if it was me I'd come back again on the Wednesday but depends what time you finish sorting your daughter out etc. Can she not get a lift with someone else to make things easier for you?

• 1 month later...
On 3/19/2019 at 4:30 PM, Funkyfairy! said:

I'm part of the bin painting team so will be onsite from the 8th June - and I know I don't get a wristband until 2 weeks later (when we've finished our work) - going to be a great and intersting experience for sure ?

Hi @Funkyfairy! - sorry to hijack the thread a bit...I was just wondering about this bin painting gig. I'd love to apply next year. How do you apply? Do I need to register my interest before applications open?

13 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Hi @Funkyfairy! - sorry to hijack the thread a bit...I was just wondering about this bin painting gig. I'd love to apply next year. How do you apply? Do I need to register my interest before applications open?

Direct message me and I'll let you know my experience from this year which may help you for next year x