Wu-Tang

chatty

More than your usual to talk about here because we dont even know who will be turning up to play. 

They are high on my agenda but that could be swayed if we are getting the b-team. 

Anyone have any ideas on who will be showing up to play? 

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Recent review

https://liveforlivemusic.com/features/reviews/wu-tang-clan-philadelphia-1-24-19/

Presume the setlist will still be focused on 36 Chambers.

Well that looks positive, like we are likely to get the full proper line up. I expected it to be 36 Chambers heavy, looking through recent setlists it has been for a while. Im happy with that and some Liquid Swords thrown in though tbf. 

1 hour ago, zeppelin said:

I just remember being disappointed when they played the Pyramid and I can't get over that :(

Hopefully they boss it for all that go though! 

Yeah, that's what's stopping me getting excited for seeing them again this year--that pyramid performance was such a non-entity, I remember nothing about it other than the feeling of crushing disappointment. 

Still, maybe it being a night time set and being on my favourite stage will help make it a much better experience this time round. 

25 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Yeah, that's what's stopping me getting excited for seeing them again this year--that pyramid performance was such a non-entity, I remember nothing about it other than the feeling of crushing disappointment. 

Still, maybe it being a night time set and being on my favourite stage will help make it a much better experience this time round. 

Was it the proper line up on Pyramid that time? 

2 hours ago, zeppelin said:

I just remember being disappointed when they played the Pyramid and I can't get over that :(

Hopefully they boss it for all that go though! 

Thats because hip hop doesn't translate well too live performances to be honest. Every hip hop legend I've seen I've been left really disappointed.

At lot of them don't rap very well live.

Edited by Xeph1995

59 minutes ago, Xeph1995 said:

Thats because hip hop doesn't translate well too live performances to be honest. Every hip hop legend I've seen I've been left really disappointed.

I don't agree, but I think the key thing is to have a live band rather than just someone on the decks- been to some fantastic rap and hip hop stuff over the years (the roots, public enemy, Michael franti, Naz, ozomatli, Deltron immediately spring to mind re glastonbury) but the great ones have always had a live band and the disappointing ones have not. 

Edited by Mr.Tease
  • Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Xeph1995 said:

Run The Jewels want a word...

• Like 1

22 hours ago, chatty said:

More than your usual to talk about here because we dont even know who will be turning up to play. 

They are high on my agenda but that could be swayed if we are getting the b-team. 

Anyone have any ideas on who will be showing up to play? 

They are touring the anniversary of the 36 Chambers... it has been everyone so far with Young DB in there replacing his old man.

As for which of them make it over here to the UK.... who knows... they have in the past gone missing and only half turn up. Hopefully its the full team as I cant bloody wait to see them! 

27 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

That looks way better than I remember. Typical flat Pyramid crowd though. Smaller stage, at night with the full squad and it promises to be a belter

Headlining or 2nd down on West Holts will be bouncing. 

26 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Totally disagree with the live band shout. That’s a novelty. Hip Hop is 2 technics and a mic. Rather see someone with a good DJ than a band personally.

Looking forward to The Wu but it does all depend who turns up.

Totally agree, especially when you've got the likes of Mixmaster Mike or Lethal behind the decks.

The best live rap performances I've seen, Beastie Boys, Cypress Hill, House of Pain, Run-DMC all had two turntables and microphones.

2 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

There’s room for both like don’t get me wrong if The Roots we’re playing with Jay Z or Nas like those records they did I’d be there with bells on. 

But this is hip hop to me

https://youtu.be/aKJ9fRa2MTc

For me, my favourite music is 70s funk, and one thing I didn't like about the 80s and 90s is that black musicians (as in literally playing instruments) got completely squeezed out by the rise of rap and hip hop, so I've always had a soft spot for rap and hip hop that features a real band--it was a fair compromise! ?