Best non-music things to do at Glasto

blazingstars

First-timer. Know it's not all about the music. Know it's fun to just wander around and see where I end up.

But those of you who have been before, anything that should be on my to-do list?

I'm thinking things like watching the sunrise at the Stone Circle and great places to eat. Thanks!

25 minutes ago, blazingstars said:

First-timer. Know it's not all about the music. Know it's fun to just wander around and see where I end up.

But those of you who have been before, anything that should be on my to-do list?

I'm thinking things like watching the sunrise at the Stone Circle and great places to eat. Thanks!

I went for the first time in 2017 and found the best thing to do is just wonder about aimlessly you stumble upon some amazing/bizarre/beautiful things. The sunset on the hill where the Glastonbury sign is with a beer in hand is a must though! 

Have a great time!!! 

Yes, some of the 'headlining' circus acts you would have to pay £30 for to see normally. We normally do one of them instead of a Pyramid headliner. We also spend lots of time in the Left Field listening to interesting people. Billy's round-up always good value with a mix of chat and performance. When I was younger and knew all the stand-ups I used to spend a lot of time in the cabaret tent as well - lost touch with that a bit now. 

I always have a Wednesday massage. I once had my fortune told using leaves.....it was frankly ridiculous and very funny. Lekkido is a must for me too. There is just so much to do though. Oh and I always drop by Craig Charles dj set on Friday afternoon 

The music is amazing, but it's not what stays with me and keeps me obsessed and yearning to return. That's the place; the people; the atmosphere; the effort that's gone into making it all happen. There's just something magical about the fact that if all this wasn't here, it would be a beautiful valley in Somerset, and that shortly before it began and shortly after it ended, that's exactly what it will be. But for just five days, creativity and passion combine in the name of making something truly epic and everyone with a ticket has access, regardless of who they are, where they're from or how much money they have. And it really doesn't stop for five whole days.

So this is kind of an abstract and non-specific answer (sorry), but the best non-music thing you can do is take a mental step back and just soak it all in. Take in the sounds, the smells and the smiles. Because before you know it, this will be a memory and it'll be October and you'll be hoping against hope you'll be able to experience it again.

• Upvote 4

The food. Oh, the food...

I could (and have!) happily spend the whole day in Theatre and Circus. If it pisses down, which it won't, the Astrolabe is a great place to hang out. Stephen Frost's Improv Allstars is the best act onsite by a country mile if you like improv - go on Sunday to see how Phill Jupitus is still madly funny despite his three-day hangover.

Can I have another go? Thanks.

In 2015, probably my favourite moment was during a bit of a wobbly early Sunday afternoon, feeling a bit shaky, stumbling into the Poetry/Spoken Word tent. Somehow I'd never managed to find it before, and it was just bloody brilliant laying down and enjoying the love affair people on stage were having with words. Highly recommended.

If it's your first time going I'd say make sure you take a walk around the full site before you start drinking etc so that you see the scale. In my first year I made sure I went to the Theatre and Circus fields and watched a couple of acts. Participate in group activities. Take advantage of the things on offer. We always try and participate in one of the group art things or the circus skills classes. Try and watch things on different stages. 

Go through the green fields and look at all the crafts etc. You can take part in some of these if there's any that catch your fancy. 

Having a cocktail (or 2!) from Cockatoo bar which has a birdcage on top at the bottom of the Theatre & Circus field, cope a spot on the grass and watch the madness/randomness that field brings - it's awesome...

I really want to go again but no ticket and unless I get a job soon, no money either :(