Best lineup in the last 10 years?

MetaKate

I wont lie, not much jumps out at me to be honest, but that may be as so much if it was as expected. 

This is only 60 names from a line up of about 400 (I am guessing there) so really it's only a small percentage. Im sure when the full thing comes out, Ill be pleased and will discover a few new acts I love. 

The Chemical Brothers arw the only act from the stage headliners so far that Im truly a big fan of, so that is a bit of a disappointment, especially as Ive seen them before at Glastonbury twice. Having watched a few Janelle Monae videos, I'd like to watch her, but I think she'll clash with the Chems, ny mates will all be at the Chems, so Ill prob miss her.

On the plus side, there are about 10 acts in total that I'd happily be at... with 340ish to go.

I was a little disappointed today, but it was probably due to expectation rather than anything else.

15 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

One of the worst for me.  It felt like wall to wall heritage.  The 3 headliners, Tom Jones, Status Quo, ...Rolf.

I appreciate that my view isn't representative of these fine pages, but to fuck with '09.

Yep. With the exception of two of the headliners where their selection is strictly limited, the majority of this poster feels incredibly forward-thinking. Especially comparing it to eg 2009, it's like a different festival aimed at different people.

Obviously there'll be plenty of the 'same old' acts who flesh it out in the end, and there are some exceptions (Interpol, the Chems, Sheryl, Cat Power), but for the most part the acts they've chosen to highlight on this first poster give off a definite vibe of looking to the future, and (more importantly and very deliberately) attempting to entice under 35's rather than over 35's through the gate. It's very progressive and fresh.

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

10 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Yep. With the exception of two of the headliners where their selection is strictly limited, the majority of this poster feels incredibly forward-thinking. Especially comparing it to eg 2009, it's like a different festival aimed at different people.

Obviously there'll be plenty of the 'same old' acts who flesh it out in the end, and there are some exceptions (Interpol, the Chems, Sheryl, Cat Power), but for the most part the acts they've chosen to highlight on this first poster give off a definite vibe of looking to the future, and (more importantly and very deliberately) attempting to entice under 35's rather than over 35's through the gate. It's very progressive and fresh.

This feels like one we'll look back upon in years to come and think it was really, really good as the acts go on to bigger things.

22 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

I'm all for positivity but nah, not even close. Fair play for trying to counter act some of the hyperbole in the other direction but ultimately that's what both extremes are, hyperbole.

I'm all about equal chance hyperbole. 

9 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

This feels like one we'll look back upon in years to come and think it was really, really good as the acts go on to bigger things.

yep. A heady mixture of acts a few steps away from world domination (Janelle, Stormzy, Christine, Tame), up-and-comers who could potentially get there with the right management (Jorja Smith, Sigrid, Billie Eilish,  Anne-Marie), and icons who inspired them (Janet, Kylie, Lauryn). It's great. 

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

3 hours ago, MetaKate said:

Who knows.

Every single lineup is relative but I am personally thrilled with this first round. 

Glastonbury pulling it out as always. Theres still so much more to be announced guys!

Ran out of upvotes but I’m with you. Comfortably into a couple of beers here, banging out Christine and the Queens contemplating a great lineup. So looking forward to things now. 

5 minutes ago, SighMo said:

Ran out of upvotes but I’m with you. Comfortably into a couple of beers here, banging out Christine and the Queens contemplating a great lineup. So looking forward to things now. 

Same here with the beers, Hot Chip being the band of choice. It's going to be a good one! 

Let's be honest, many of us have spent the last few months criticising other festivals with not dissimilar lineups. There's nothing wrong with Glastonbury exceptionalism (because Glastonbury is so great it justifies it) but let's at least acknowledge that's what most of us are basing our positivity on here. 

• Upvote 1