What's the best track by.....

bombfrog

38 minutes ago, HeyPorter said:

Still on topic, has anyone else got any self-imposed rules for this? If I can’t name more than three tracks I don’t participate. 

Yeah, not as hard and fast as that, but if I don't feel like I know them well enough, then I don't participate. In hindsight my rule is that I don't vote if I've never listened to one of their albums the whole way through.

I shouldn't really have voted for Vampire Weekend, but I really like the new(ish) single.

33 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Yeah, not as hard and fast as that, but if I don't feel like I know them well enough, then I don't participate. In hindsight my rule is that I don't vote if I've never listened to one of their albums the whole way through.

I shouldn't really have voted for Vampire Weekend, but I really like the new(ish) single.

Yeah I’ve loosely followed that as well, one album at least and it’s fair game. Really wanted to vote for hot chip but haven’t listened to their first album for years and can only name two tracks. 

16 minutes ago, HeyPorter said:

Yeah I’ve loosely followed that as well, one album at least and it’s fair game. Really wanted to vote for hot chip but haven’t listened to their first album for years and can only name two tracks. 

Get on that, they're brilliant. A sparkling back catalogue. Every album is a cracker.

9 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Same, never really listened to Friendly Fires and I gave the Janelle Monae album a listen once but it didn't really do anything for me so didn't vote for either of those.

Thinking I should give Friendly Fires a try though, they seemed to get a good response on here at least.

13 hours ago, HeyPorter said:

Still on topic, has anyone else got any self-imposed rules for this? If I can’t name more than three tracks I don’t participate. 

Pretty much this.  If I have time I might give a cursory run through of some top tracks, but that's mainly just because I want to be a part of something :D

11 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Get on that, they're brilliant. A sparkling back catalogue. Every album is a cracker.

This place has driven me to listen to Hot Chip as I've never really got into them, for no reason than I just haven't got round to it.  Funny enough I've just finished listening to In Our Heads and been grooving at my desk for the last hour or so :)

3 hours ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Same, never really listened to Friendly Fires and I gave the Janelle Monae album a listen once but it didn't really do anything for me so didn't vote for either of those.

Thinking I should give Friendly Fires a try though, they seemed to get a good response on here at least.

Friendly Fires is next on my list after the love they got on here. Then Tame Impala.

Results for Stormzy

Winner: Big For Your Boots (6 votes)

Know me from (5)
Blinded by Your Grace (pt. 2) (5)
Cold (4)
First Things First (3)
Shut Up (2)
One Take Freestyle (1)
Bad Boys (1)
Wrong Number (1)
Return Of The Rucksack (1)

Fairly predictable but closer than I thought. Today let's do:

George Ezra

Not his biggest track but I'm going to go with "Only a Human" as I do prefer his slower ones.

14 hours ago, HeyPorter said:

I think this would be a good rule for most people to follow tbh.

First noticed it with all the C.R.E.A.M/Gravel Pit shouts for Wu Tang but couldn't be bothered saying anything as it is subjective I suppose. But I don't know of many actual Wu Tang fans who'd have either of those 2 as their favourite. Not saying those people don't exist, but I think it's quite rare.

There's a danger with some of the lesser-known artists of it becoming 'What's the most well known song by?' rather than 'What's the best song by?'

I can already imagine the Lauryn Hill poll will be won by either Doo Wop or people asking "Does Ready or Not/Killing Me Softly count"?

Comes across like I'm having a right moan here so I'll stop now.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, ConorC said:

First noticed it with all the C.R.E.A.M/Gravel Pit shouts for Wu Tang but couldn't be bothered saying anything as it is subjective I suppose. But I don't know of many actual Wu Tang fans who'd have either of those 2 as their favourite. Not saying those people don't exist, but I think it's quite rare.

There's a danger with some of the lesser-known artists of it becoming 'What's the most well known song by?' rather than 'What's the best song by?'

I can already imagine the Lauryn Hill poll will be won by either Doo Wop or people asking "Does Ready or Not/Killing Me Softly count"?

That's a fair point. Even if you do sound old and grouchy :)

16 minutes ago, ConorC said:

This was always going to become "The Lowest Common Denominator's Guide To Glastonbury 2019", but it's still fun. You wait till we do Liam Gallagher. I might have to restrict it to only being Oasis songs that Liam has actually played live at least once before, otherwise there's no point.

20 minutes ago, ConorC said:

True but the question asked was which song that they play will go off at Glastonbury and they are not going to be playing to a field of mega fans and the biggest hits will be the ones that get the biggest response. If you are a huge Killers fan or Cure fan you might love some obscure B side or album track but Mr Brightside and Friday I'm in love will be the ones that get everyone going. 

1 minute ago, gigpusher said:

True but the question asked was which song that they play will go off at Glastonbury and they are not going to be playing to a field of mega fans and the biggest hits will be the ones that get the biggest response. If you are a huge Killers fan or Cure fan you might love some obscure B side or album track but Mr Brightside and Friday I'm in love will be the ones that get everyone going. 

I get that, but surely in 99% of cases you can just go on Spotify and look at which song has been played most and you have your answer to that question for every artist anyway?

1 minute ago, ConorC said:

I get that, but surely in 99% of cases you can just go on Spotify and look at which song has been played most and you have your answer to that question for every artist anyway?

That's what I did for my Glastonbury playlist :) apart from the artists I already know and have favourites. I have decided to give some of the tracks listed in here a listen though for example I've been listening to my playlist since the weekend after the line up poster came out and I've not once checked to see who is on and seen Friendly Fires so either they're just not to my taste or the tracks at the top are duff so I'll go through the poll results for them and see if there are any that I like the sound of. 

46 minutes ago, ConorC said:

You would think so, but that doesn't seem to be the case so far. I commented on the Friendly Fires result that the winner was a surprise compared to the Spotify top tracks.