What did Glasto get right this year?

Matt42

Seeing a lot of negative threads so I thought I’d make this one because I think a lot of bookings this year are really smart.

Billie Eillish - she’s having a massive year so far and her album isn’t even out yet. I feel Glasto are good getting on this bandwagon as they often tend to be a bit late on acts like this.

Tame Impala- worldwide this is the only festival appearance this year where they are not headlining. Their next album is obviously going to be a big one.

Miley Cyrus - I think a lot of us on the boards thought this would happen after dolly. She’l fit into the festival really well and will probably have a great time.

Also dare I say it. Getting George Ezra is a good booking. Just emphasises the fact that acts want to play Glastonbury regardless of whether they are given headline slots at other festivals.

anyone you think I’ve missed?

Edited by Matt42

Mavis Staples. That woman is a legend. We're not going to get many more chances to see her and she is an incredible human. 

Kate Tempest - Yes I know she is there every year but she is the embodiment of the festival. She lives and breathes it. She gets it. 

Janelle Monae - Incredible energy, incredible songs how she is not a bigger star I don't know

Lizzo - Just because!! She made me do it!!

• Upvote 1

Stormzy - we've had the big US names of Jay Z and Kanye, so to put a homegrown talent from the wider hip hop / grime genres (and yes I know it's a very very broad spectrum of styles) is a good step.

High proportion of female or female-led acts, and no one of them feel like they're there on anything other than merit.

Decent blend to appeal to a broad audience.  Meat & potatoes guitars? Liam Gallagher. Heritage act? Cure.  Electronica? Chemical Brothers. Hip Hop? Wu Tang Clan. Pop? Miley.  Basically something for everyone in there.

Also poster size.  Looks standard, but as people have pointed out it's actually quite a low number of acts on there. Means plenty more excitement to come!

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

With one notable act MIA

gaga_1589464f.jpg

In terms of prominent pop girls now... not many left which haven’t played the festival 

Is it only Gaga, Britney and Taylor that haven’t done it? After Miley actually being booked I wouldn’t rule out Britney Spears you know...

Edited by Matt42

6 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

In terms of prominent pop girls now... not many left which haven’t played the festival 

Is it only Gaga, Britney and Taylor that haven’t done it? After Miley actually being booked I wouldn’t rule out Britney Spears you know...

Madonna and Pink I'd like to see. I appreciate Maddona isn't classed as a prominent pop girl but she is the Queen of pop. 

Well with the underwelming headliners it really gives the emphasis on the the slightly lower bands and mid level bands to step up and deliver. I imagine the spread of audience will be more this year due to so far lack of main attractions, box ticking acts, stand out acts. 

A lot of bands like Tame Impala, Vampire Weekend, TDCC etc have been around for ages and have seemingly struggled to take the leap from solid near the top of the bill acts to out and out headliner material. This is a good chance for them to showcase themselves as bands that could take the headliner mantle down the line and anyone under them can look to put in step up performances. 

Loads of variety. And, despite the top of the bill being a bit dry, the lineup overall has a very fresh and exciting feel. 

And, regardless of what you think of the acts themselves, they've got 6-7 names that could headline just about any other festival in Europe. Certainly not the best set of headliners in recent years, but I think that's compensated by bigger bands in sub/legend/Other slots. 

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Also surely Ariana Grande and Gaga are at the top of Emily’s wishlist for 2020.

I wouldn’t bet on it but I hope one of them will make an appearance. My preference would be Ariana because bangers.

FATM, Gaga and Macca if I was booking it.

15 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Gaga already did play though...

Lets just all hope its Little Mix next year for the Katy Perry slot

1 minute ago, Mattymooz said:

Gaga already did play though...

Oh shit I always forget. Yeah it was at such an infant stage in her career that it is easily forgotten.

Little Mix would be a big jump as it’s the first time they’ve really jumped into X Factor territory. But I think little mix would kill it