How Many Artists Have You Seen Each Year?

EMorgz92

I saw 21 in 2013 because I kept a list although this was main stage bands and won’t include dj’s I saw post main stages shutting as I’d have no idea who they were (or who/where I was most of the time)

that was my first year and the number will be far lower for the last four, I’d guess about 15 plus whatever I see after hours. 2016 may be higher as by Sunday I couldn’t be bothered moving and watched a lot of the other stage that day

2016 I barely saw any because it was my first time and oooh the mud...

I counted 8 off the poster but I know there was a few more non poster ones I saw and oh so much late night stuff. 

2017 I did better with 16 off the main poster and a lot more late night. 

I'm hoping to be a bit better at planning and moving and not going with my friends this year (they have different music tastes) 

Just found a list in my wallet. First time at Glastonbury: Ultimate Power; RPM; Scarletinas; Pretenders; Paul Carrack; Blossoms; First Aid Kit; Kris Kristofferson; Royal Blood; The XX; Radiohead; Whitney; The Moonlandingz; Billy Bragg; She Drew the Gun; Ralph Mactell; Liam; Songhoy Blues; Joe Goddard; Warpaint; She Drew the Gun; Laura Marling; Julia Jacklin; Killers; Goldfrapp; London Grammar; Metronomy. 

I think at buck the trend and see more on a muddy year because when it’s sunny I’m happy to just sit around somewhere random, but when it’s raining I like to be ‘doing’.

This year I might keep a diary for the five days of the festival, not just a list of acts we see. But all the other wierdness, the people, experiences  and how we all felt about it all.

It’ll be my daughters first and I dare say she won’t remember much in years to come as she’ll only be 17 months (that in itself is gonna make this one unique for me, helllooooooo kidz field). So might be a nice memento if I get it written out properly and bang a few piccies in.

1 hour ago, John the Moth said:

This year I might keep a diary for the five days of the festival, not just a list of acts we see. But all the other wierdness, the people, experiences  and how we all felt about it all.

It’ll be my daughters first and I dare say she won’t remember much in years to come as she’ll only be 17 months (that in itself is gonna make this one unique for me, helllooooooo kidz field). So might be a nice memento if I get it written out properly and bang a few piccies in.

Nice idea for her to look back at when she's 18 or 21 as a keeps sake 

2016- 18 that I actually went to see, seen a few others either whilst wandering or queuing or eating. I don't think sleeping counts....

2017- 26, not sure if this was due to better weather and actually being able to go see more or not but I think there were more on the lineup that i was bothered about too. Again there were more that I seen part of just walking by for 5 mins or in a queue somewhere, not to mention a few naps i had during the day at certain stages/fields. 

10 - 20, 11-16, 13-18, 14-23, 15-27, 16-24, 17-22
So, it has sod all to do with the weather or the line-up. No clue how I saw so many in 2016!

Apart from being as daft as possible, the festival is about discovering new music, not listening to stuff I already know. So, 2019 looks like a good one for me!

(isn't it sad that I keep a spreadsheet of all the bands I've ever seen)

When I was younger I was obsessed with trying to cram as much into each day as possible. Would be up and out by 11am and have a @bennyhana22 level of obsessive planning, rushing round the site to see as much as I could without actually stopping to appreciate anything, I'd easily see 8-10 full sets each day.

These days I'm much more laid back about it all, I usually pencil in 2-3 "definites" each day and a couple of "maybes". Otherwise I'm happy just bumbling around, stopping to take in whatever takes my fancy. Probably see 10-15 full sets over the course of the weekend.

Looking back over old clashfinders I can’t remember where I was half the time, what was I doing?! From what I can piece together I seem to average around 20 over the weekend but missed a huge amount that now looking back I’m gutted about!

However 2017, fresh in the memory, when the weather was good & when I was largely on my own, I somehow managed to cram in well over 30 acts. Can’t see me beating that this year!

On 3/15/2019 at 11:36 AM, Avalon_Fields said:

This outs me as an obsessive, not only do I break away from my festival friends to race around and catch a few bands, I have a list of every band I've seen at Glastonbury:

...and if anyone's remotely interested, I've seen at least 1,147 different bands/acts at gigs and festivals over the last 47 years!

nothing wrong with that. surely these forums are meant to be safe havens for the obsessives. 

I've kept track of every gig i've seen (venue, date, support, etc...) since my first (Bryan Adams/Scorched Earth, Hammersmith Odeon, 19 April, 1985) - and at festivals as well (even if it means having to rehash through the program after). not as many as you that's for sure 

I also define "seeing", especially at festivals, via the Live Aid '85 rule. 4 songs or 20 minutes, minimum of either. Walking through the Pyramid and seeing 2 songs for 8 mins doesn't count in my book, so for example, I didn't really "see" that great Faithless set from '02 that most talk about even though I was there for a bit. 

Most years I go by myself and it leaves me the freedom to roam and see a lot of bands while exploring different parts of the farm. I get around the farm...

• Upvote 1