Worst line up in the last 10 years?

Xeph1995

45 minutes ago, yosoyyoberdi said:

"current popular music scene" "A lineup that is contemporary" The Cure, The Killers, Janet Jackson, Kylie... And that's the first line. 

Glastonbury looking more like an old legends festival.

Are you sure?

The poster drop is full of gems. Its just I haven't heard of any of them (old man, still has original vinyl collection)... However I've created a playlist on Apple Music of some of the top songs by each act - and songs that are still in setlists that I can find - and have been  finding new stuff to get excited about all day. Some of the RnB I find a bit meh, but much of the lineup sound great.  

I've not posted because I wanted some time to digest the line up so far and I feel the same way as my gut did when I first saw it, that being that this is the weakest line up for a while. Still not terrible but poor compared to the festivals usual standards. The Killers are a properly weird choice, the have done nothing worthy of acclaim for a while (and I love most of their stuff). They sell out arenas yes but they are one of the most uninspiring choices I could have imagined.

What a bunch of negative nancies, Glastonbury is about so much more than the headliners.

Looks like a lot of tickets going back in the pot, which is good news for those waiting for the resale. Good luck to everyone trying! 

My girlfriend wasn't especially sold on the lineup initially. We spent Friday night drinking some beers and going through each artist one by one and listening to a few tracks each. She's excited now and we've both discovered some gems further down the poster, and have renewed excitement for some of the long rumoured acts.

It's also worth remembering how many acts are to come, particularly this year with the smaller poster. Wouldn't shock me at all if they've held back some big names and I'm certain you'll get your rock quota when all is said and done. I think part of the strategy with this poster is to have a fresh and new feel to the initial lineup. The landfill is coming, don't worry.

Also, The National are one of my favourite acts of all time but why the hell are people banging on about them?! They subbed the Pyramid last time and didn't go down all that well. Yes they've got a new record but they never would have been booked this year. I don't want them booking repeat acts year after year, even if they are my favourites.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Generally aye, but it doesn't always hold true.

Particularly in the infamous case of the Pyramid line up on Friday 2008.

ha. Not a great day.  But then on the poster, you'd also see Jay-Z, Amy Winehouse, Massive Attack, The Verve, Cohen, etc and it's not too bad,

18 hours ago, Xeph1995 said:

I just can't imagine Wu Tang being good live, Every hip hop artist I've seen live has left my completely disappointed.  

And I do really like Wu Tang too.

I don't think Stormzys promotion was really warranted but i guess well see, my guess is they literally had no one else and were desperate. I listened to his album the other night after and was not that impressed. 

They were shit last time they played, massive disappointment

28 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

They were ok for a knockabout afternoon Pyramid slot, but I certainly won’t be sticking my Saturday night headliner chips on them.

This, but I do like them & if the Chemical Brothers are Sunday - I might have to. (Or see whats on somewhere random like stonebridge bar)

8 hours ago, alframsey said:

The Killers are a properly weird choice, the have done nothing worthy of acclaim for a while (and I love most of their stuff). They sell out arenas yes but they are one of the most uninspiring choices I could have imagined.

I'm not fussed about The Killers either.  I like them, but I'm not fussed about catching them live.  But what they did do, which is worthy of acclaim, was get a Pyramid-sized crowd around the JP tent in 2017 without even being announced!  I think a lot of people are pretty stoked for them and it makes sense for the booking team to get them to close the festival with a draw like that.  They are a guaranteed crowd pleaser, in the way that Coldplay always will be (despite anyone's opinion of them).

Edited by Fork_UK

2017s line up was percieved way better than this one and thats without hindsight. You can hust go back and check the threads on here. 

It had a couple of bigger named bands on it, a couple of surprises and had a better soread of diversable acts on it. 

Pretty much something for every crowd on it which this one doesnt have. 

More acts on it but I dont think you can oull the hindsight card on a festival that was just two years ago. If anything I dont think many of the bands form 2017 have elevated themselves that much since then (well other thwn the obvious ones whonhave been bunped up this year despite not doing anything since). 

More to come though and it keeps thibgs interesting in the run up as we get more announcements. 

47 minutes ago, Scotdy said:

I'm so tired of seeing this, for some people it is about the headliners. You don't go to the zoo just to eat lunch. 

Also, the topic isn’t ‘is Glastonbury about the headliners?’. Whether it is or isn’t would apply to any year. This thread is specifically about this line up compared to others.

15 minutes ago, Homer said:

Also, the topic isn’t ‘is Glastonbury about the headliners?’. Whether it is or isn’t would apply to any year. This thread is specifically about this line up compared to others.

Yeah it’s hugely condescending for anyone who has a problem with the lineup to be faced with: a) “it’s not about the main stages”, b) “this is only a tiny percent of the acts playing”, or c) “well put your ticket back in the pot for someone who appreciates it then”. You can still want to go and be disappointed with what they’ve laid out - and even if people don’t want to go anymore, they shouldn’t be throttled for not wanting to part with a huge financial undertaking for the privilege of attending the festival.

It’s lame and culty when everyone piles on someone who expresses negative views on the fest on a festival forum - when every single other festival’s thread on the boards has its share of detractors. It’s not an exclusive club we have to maintain the prestige of, its a festival with over 200,000 people.

Edited by dentalplan
  • Upvote 9