Worst line up in the last 10 years?

Xeph1995

56 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

The thing with The Killers is it's just a dull booking. They play festivals every year, so if you badly to see them you easily could. Plus the fact that they played last year as well, it just smacks of a last minute cheap option or a reactionary booking to how that went. 

I don't think "good" bookings are based on musical preference. I find The Killers boring. I liked them when I was 15/16 when they first came out, but went off them pretty quickly, but I enjoyed the secret set performance for nostalgia. I wouldn't go out of my way to watch them though. I don't like Fleetwood Mac or Lady Gaga, but I'd say they would be great headliners, due to the rarity and the fact they'd draw a huge crowd. 

And you make a good point, @Chinaski_...

...but see my third point above. We all know why it's unlikely that Emily will ever get Fleetwood Mac. And so one's expectations (different to one's desires) should be managed within the confines of our knowledge of the festival mechanics. There are, sadly, many bands that just ain't ever going to plat the Farm, because the money will never be enough for them...

Ben

1 hour ago, bennyhana22 said:

I can't stand the Stones.

You're dead to me.

1 hour ago, Chef said:

So after months of waiting for both, Mrs Chef went in to labour about 15 minutes after the announcement last week and gave birth to our lovely daughter.

Now we’re all settled at home I’ve had a good look at the line up and I’m really pleased with it, Headliners not great but plenty else to keep me entertained. Lauryn Hill, CaTQ’s, The Streets and Wu Tang Clan I’ll certainly be trying to see. 

Can anybody summarise what’s gone on since, reaction/ any other news/ rumour info etc. of note as I won’t be going back through all those pages! 

Congratulations!

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:

Am I the only one looking forward to Kylie. Kylie and the Cure to finish ticks all the boxes for me.

Excited for both over here :)

Will possibly watch Janet, Miley and Sheryl too but that's very clash dependent. Janet is the most likely to sway me of those three from a curiosity point of view. 

1 hour ago, bennyhana22 said:

In 2017 there was a riot around the JPT with people eating their own children to get them out of their way so they could get in to see The Killers.

Just spat my tea out over my laptop. Thanks for that, Ben :lol:

But overall, I agree, it just seems like people are expecting the lineup to be what they want. Although I do think the likes of you and I may be in a position where, as we never normally go crazy about whats on The Pyramid, we can't really tell how it's any different from normal 

And on that note - I can't bloody wait until the stage lineups!!!!!!!!

20 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Just spat my tea out over my laptop. Thanks for that, Ben :lol:

But overall, I agree, it just seems like people are expecting the lineup to be what they want. Although I do think the likes of you and I may be in a position where, as we never normally go crazy about whats on The Pyramid, we can't really tell how it's any different from normal 

And on that note - I can't bloody wait until the stage lineups!!!!!!!!

I think its just we have been spoilt for choice for a while, this is the first time in about 10ish years there hasn't been Pyramid/Other/West Holts/John Peel/The Park  headliner that hasn't got me really buzzing. 

Hopefully that changes with the next round of announcements. 

Edit: Maybe in 15+

Edit 2: Okay so 2002 and 1994 are the only last line ups that would leave me scratching my head for at least 1 headliner on one of the stages. in the last 20ish years

And I mean I'm really only asking for 1 Act on one of the stages somewhere across the weekend to enjoy a nice headline show.

Edited by Xeph1995

2 minutes ago, Xeph1995 said:

I think its just we have been spoilt for choice for a while, this is the first time in about 10ish years there hasn't been one Pyramid or Other or West Holts headliner that hasn't got me really buzzing. 

Hopefully that changes with the next round of announcements. 

Edit: Maybe in 15+

And I understand that, @Xeph1995

And it's horses for courses, isn't it? It would be disingenuous of me not to declare why I am so unaffected by all of this since, as @Sasperella quite rightly says, I am just not a Pyramid/Other person, in general. As such, other than the individual Pyramid headliner announcements (Radiohead, excepted), the first poster is, undoubtedly, the least important announcement for me of any Glastonbury year.

It really is all about the small area drops (PLEASE do them the same again this year...!), and then the fine-tooth comb through the undercard on full line-up release day and the couple of weeks thereafter. That's where 'my festival' truly exists.

Ben

13 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

And I understand that, @Xeph1995

And it's horses for courses, isn't it? It would be disingenuous of me not to declare why I am so unaffected by all of this since, as @Sasperella quite rightly says, I am just not a Pyramid/Other person, in general. As such, other than the individual Pyramid headliner announcements (Radiohead, excepted), the first poster is, undoubtedly, the least important announcement for me of any Glastonbury year.

It really is all about the small area drops (PLEASE do them the same again this year...!), and then the fine-tooth comb through the undercard on full line-up release day and the couple of weeks thereafter. That's where 'my festival' truly exists.

Ben

Thats just my first point, the 2nd point is that even the under card for me isn't looking promising bar 1 act. Again we do have the 2nd announcement to look forward too.

I am not acting for too much I think maybe 3-5 Bands. out for the whole lot. 

This to me is why its a Weak line up.

That being said I'm still going to have a great weekend. 

Edited by Xeph1995

1 hour ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:

Am I the only one looking forward to Kylie. Kylie and the Cure to finish ticks all the boxes for me.

Might not go see her as I saw her in Sep, but I'm happy she's there and will probably occupy the "go see by default" slot on Sunday afternoon, safe in the knowledge it'll be a banger of a set.

Certainly wouldn't say it's the worst lineup in the last 10 years. I think the top 2 lines are weak vs. normal but from there down I'm very happy! I also think there's a few more mid-to-large acts to be added than normally at this stage for Prodigy and small initial poster reasons. Seeing as smaller stage headliners are generally more enjoyable (barring the odd special pyramid set), it's shaping up nicely. Lauryn Hill - WH, Wu Tang Clan - WH, Chemical Brothers - Other has potential to be the most fun set of headliners I've ever had!!!

.... If Wu pull their fingers out.

3 hours ago, DefLeppard said:

Certainly wouldn't say it's the worst lineup in the last 10 years. I think the top 2 lines are weak vs. normal but from there down I'm very happy! I also think there's a few more mid-to-large acts to be added than normally at this stage for Prodigy and small initial poster reasons. Seeing as smaller stage headliners are generally more enjoyable (barring the odd special pyramid set), it's shaping up nicely. Lauryn Hill - WH, Wu Tang Clan - WH, Chemical Brothers - Other has potential to be the most fun set of headliners I've ever had!!!

.... If Wu pull their fingers out.

I thought LH was in the Pyramid?

On 3/15/2019 at 10:35 AM, Xeph1995 said:

What do you guys think? I can't remember in recent years glasto having such a lack luster line up, feel a lot of the smaller bands especially are just so Meh. Don't really know where they went wrong this year.

After reading the first announcement there is one person I really want to see :S 

Definitely the worst poster I've seen since I started going. Stormzy after one album? The Killers haven't been relevant for years. The Cure...

I think the bubble has finally burst on having MASSIVE bands up and down the line-up. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. More time to explore the rest of the festival. Hopefully people do the same and see what the festival is really all about.