Worst line up in the last 10 years?

Xeph1995

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

That's not what I'm saying at all. Who has sold more records - Kanye or The Who? Yet what was the most talked about and anticipated performance that weekend? Same with Adele v Coldplay, same with Sheeran v Radiohead, same with Metallica v any of them, likewise Jay-Z...

There's something intangible about the buzz around headliners that goes beyond how many units they've shifted or how many stadiums they've played in the past. It's why Stormzy will be the most talked about set of the three this year.

I'm confused about your comparisons. Sheeran v Radiohead - whilst for most of us it was Radiohead, surely Sheeran was more talked about and anticipated overall? And he's obviously the one with more sales and bigger crowd. Which way round do you mean with Adele and Coldplay? I'd imagine Adele was the most popular at the time it happened and she had the bigger buzz, I'd say.

As for Stormzy, he may well be the most talked about this year (almost certainly wouldn't in pretty much any other year), but a relatively significant chunk of that has been/will be negative (maybe not fairly but that's undoubtedly true). 

Edited by The Martini Police

Just now, The Martini Police said:

I'm confused about your comparisons. Sheeran v Radiohead - whilst for most of us it was Radiohead, surely Sheeran was more talked about and anticipated overall? And he's obviously the one with more sales and bigger crowd. Which way round do you mean with Adele and Coldplay? I'd imagine Adele was the bigger at the time it happened and she had the bigger buzz, I'd say.

As for Stormzy, he may well be the most talked about this year (almost certainly wouldn't in pretty much any other year), but a relatively significant chunk of that has been/will be negative (maybe not fairly but that's undoubtedly true). 

My point was that the "biggest" artist in terms of sales and previous headline/stadium/massive gigs isn't always the one that's the biggest that weekend in terms of buzz. Adele/Coldplay was a bit of a stretch in that regard as they're both massive, but Kanye/Who is a much better illustration. Basically trying to justify Stormzy.

(Radiohead have actually sold more records than Sheeran, admittedly over a much longer period of time)

43 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

All this (justified) moaning about Ezra is just preamble to the colossal meltdown 2-3 years from now when he actually headlines the fucker. 

Thing is if he keeps going on towards Sheeran-like dominance he'll be a perfectly sensible if shite headliner but right now he's both a crap musician and sure sign that festivals are giving the barrel a good old scrape to find their top acts this year.

Folk are whinging about Stormzy but Stormzy is far and away TRNSMT's best headliner.

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

That’s why I grow my own.

I was actually given some Pot in return for some sugar many Glastonbury ago buy some older folk who had ran out and wanted some cuppas.

I originally just gave them some sugar because I didnt want anything in return and they came back 20 mins later with some of their home grown stuff haha. 

1 hour ago, Chinaski_ said:

Well at least it's not as bad as Lollapalooza! 

lol19-admat-v35-027f94c0.jpg

*awaits everyone saying this is better* 

Bit hard to compare the first 60 names to a full lineup though.

In saying that there is loads that I'd see there, but I like electronic music which this (and most US lineups nowadays) are quite heavy on

Gambino, Tame Impala, Flume, Janelle , Rufus Du Sol, Maggie Rodgers, Louis The Child, RL Grime, King Princess, Madeon, San Holo, Roslaia, Mitski, J.I.D., Whethan, Japanese Breakfast, Lane 8, Sharon Van Etten, YAeji, Sigrid, Honne, Against The Current etc.

3 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Booking The Killers is a spectacular self-own.  Razorlight-ass booking.

2 hours ago, Xeph1995 said:

That isn't necessarily a measure on if they should headline. Its not really a measure on big they are but how bland. The Killers are just so uninspiring. 

I've been reading all this stuff for a while now, looking at different people's perspectives on what they believe constitutes an appropriate headliner etc. There are loads of issues to consider in any sensible analysis of who plays, who doesn't.

1. Taste: There's no accounting for it, but to argue that someone you don't like at all is illegitimate because you don't like them is, in my opinion, without validity. Would anyone genuinely suggest that the Stones were not a legitimate headliner? I think probably not. I can't stand the Stones. Does my lack of interest in them make them unsuitable? No. In 2017 there was a riot around the JPT with people eating their own children to get them out of their way so they could get in to see The Killers. I wouldn't watch The Killers if they were playing in my front room, but I'd rather watch them (if I had to) than Foo Fighters. You know, Foo Fighters? That 'unequivocally a legitimate Glastonbury headliner' Foo Fighters? Why? Because I find the FFs even more boring than I find The Killers. So how do you resolve all of that?

2. Getting an appropriate crowd: Yes, GFL do take some 'risks' and are not afraid to go a bit off list, and that's bloody brilliant! But they also have a reputation to maintain and a festival to maintain, so most of their Pyramid headliners carry a confident likelihood of filling the Pyramid Field. Remember JPT 2017...? The Killers will get a great crowd on Sunday night, with 80000+ singing along to their somewhat bland, MOR softish rock. And they'll have a great time. I won't be there, but Emily and Michael will have done their job. You have to remember that this forum is NOT an accurate representation of the entire Glastonbury crowd. The most popular music (record sales, downloads, ticket sales, publicity) is usually pretty unremarkable. 'Easy', consumable material will always be most popular. Why does anyone think that that brand of slightly bland, not very engaging stuff will be any less popular with the 200 000 people at Glastonbury? In the last few years we've had the biggest selling male artist and the biggest selling artist in the world headline the festival. Popular? Oh my goodness yes. Bland? To me, pretty much (totally, actually, but it's not about me). But Pyramid was RAMMED for them. As it was for Coldplay, that 'dull bland band' who always headline Glastonbury.

3. Money: we all know that GFL doesn't pay much. That does, and will always whilst the model remains, preclude many acts from playing who would be the choices of many on this forum.

4. Availability: The number of artists capable of delivering the sort of performance required to headline Pyramid is small. Then factor whether they are available, smaller. Then factor whether they will play for cut-price fees, smaller still.

It is entirely likely that I will not see a Pyramid act at all in 2019. I've only ever seen one Pyramid headliner (Radiohead, No Surprises). But I recognise that the stage is not being curated 'for me', as such. It's being curated for 'the festival', and there are all these considerations that influence what we eventually get. For what it's worth, I'm really pleased with the Stormzy booking. I think it's bold, brave and brilliant for the festival. And I bloody HATE GRIME!!!

So, come on guys! I'm ostensibly against censorship (and so these threads existing is, overall, a good thing of course), and love a good ding dong debate, but I do think that many have approached this thread with the subconscious misconception that Emily and Michael are on this Earth purely to do their festival bidding! And, perhaps, haven't thought about the realities of what they have to do. This is not your fantasy festival (that's a different thread). This is the greatest festival on the planet.

:)

Ben

Edited by bennyhana22
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 13

So after months of waiting for both, Mrs Chef went in to labour about 15 minutes after the announcement last week and gave birth to our lovely daughter.

Now we’re all settled at home I’ve had a good look at the line up and I’m really pleased with it, Headliners not great but plenty else to keep me entertained. Lauryn Hill, CaTQ’s, The Streets and Wu Tang Clan I’ll certainly be trying to see. 

Can anybody summarise what’s gone on since, reaction/ any other news/ rumour info etc. of note as I won’t be going back through all those pages! 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

The thing with The Killers is it's just a dull booking. They play festivals every year, so if you badly to see them you easily could. Plus the fact that they played last year as well, it just smacks of a last minute cheap option or a reactionary booking to how that went. 

I don't think "good" bookings are based on musical preference. I find The Killers boring. I liked them when I was 15/16 when they first came out, but went off them pretty quickly, but I enjoyed the secret set performance for nostalgia. I wouldn't go out of my way to watch them though. I don't like Fleetwood Mac or Lady Gaga, but I'd say they would be great headliners, due to the rarity and the fact they'd draw a huge crowd. 

Totally agree with @bennyhana22 The festival do a great job with what's out there and what they have. At the end of the day you only have to find about 20 acts on the line up that you are interested in to have a great festival. Already I have some that I really like and some that I'd be interested in. Most of us go to a lot of gigs and the festival every year (or at least every year we can get tickets) so expecting massive surprises every time is a bit unrealistic. Some of the headliners people think utterly smashed it have been to me only average and some of the ones that people hated I've enjoyed. 

Every year people I know go on and on about artists I would never go near and say who to half the choices I do make. It's a delicate balance pleasing the people who will go as a one of to Glastonbury and don't really listen to anything beyond mainstream radio and people who are totally obsessed with music. I average 1 Pyramid headliner for festivals I've been to and that's only because in my 1st year I saw all three. 

1 hour ago, Xeph1995 said:

The Festival Pot this year really isn't too great is it. 

If every festival wasn't dominated by either Radio 1 rock-lite, or electronic, rap and pop, it wouldn't look so bad. Only Download and Glastonbury seem to do their own thing now. It looks like rock festivals are becoming a niche now. Thank God for NOS Alive and Mad Cool, but expecting them to go downhill soon too.