Worst line up in the last 10 years?

Xeph1995

14 minutes ago, Homer said:

No, I just thought that some of the people on here who are stoked for their inclusion might actually be planning on going to see them.

But you've just cherrypicked three different acts and asked who's going to see all of them, as if that's an indicator of how popular a booking they are individually.

Also, people can be supportive of a more diverse, inclusive lineup without wanting to go and see every non white male guitar act.

It's just a bit pedantic.

6 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

But you've just cherrypicked three different acts and asked who's going to see all of them, as if that's an indicator of how popular a booking they are individually.

Also, people can be supportive of a more diverse, inclusive lineup without wanting to go and see every non white male guitar act.

It's just a bit pedantic.

Why can't you just say guitar act? Why do you need to bring race into it? 

2 hours ago, chatty said:

Ill just give you a direct quote instead:

“The gender balance is something I consider at every stage of the booking process.

“We’re a little way off being 50/50 across the whole festival, but in 2017 the Park Stage was 50/50 and that will be the case on other stages this year. We’re definitely moving in the right direction.”

2 hours ago, yosoyyoberdi said:

'Glastonbury has also encountered problems of gender imbalance. Male artists had complained in the past that they had been moved down the bill below lesser-known female artists so as to give the impression of a good balance of the genders.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/worst-ever-glastonbury-line-up-dismays-bbc-0hpvt68xt

Oh dear ? you are both really really stupid.

anyone with basic level reading skills would understand what emily means with that comment. 

Also the second article is not even from the festival / pure hearsay. 

Edited by Matt42

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Oh dear ? you are both really really stupid.

anyone with basic level reading skills would understand what emily means with that comment. 

Also the second article is not even from the festival / pure hearsay. 

Your quick to throw insults about, maybes should have learnt after the first one backfired rather quickly with a simple search in google. 

2 minutes ago, chatty said:

Your quick to throw insults about, maybes should have learnt after the first one backfired rather quickly with a simple search in google. 

But what you quoted was not authority for your point. I’m not going to teach you how to read.

2 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Because I was talking about diversity in the lineup.

You were talking about music styles though not race. I know its cool and hip for Guardianistas to hate on rock music these days, but it's getting tiresome. 

7 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

But what you quoted was not authority for your point. I’m not going to teach you how to read.

It was a quote from last year saying they want to address the gender balance so that its 50/50 across the board. 

My point was that they have went out of their way to balance the gender gap across the board by looking for established females over males to play there which has resulted in a different formation of the poster that makes it plain to see. 

My other point was that over the majority of genres of music that its more male dominated with a far higher amount of established/mainstream acts being male thus making it far harder to get a balance of acts thats fits the 50/50 booking from off the bat and keeping it to the standards if previous years hence the overall reaction that this years line up is poor from a lot more people and newsources than normal. 

You said I made it up, I provided a quite from Emily Eavis to back it up. 

You resorted to name calling because you have no argument left. 

Edited by chatty

2 minutes ago, chatty said:

It was a quote from last year saying they want to address the gender balance so that its 50/50 across the board. 

My point was that they have went out of their way to balance the gender gap across the board by looking for established females over males to play there which has resukted in a different formatjon of the poster that makes it plain to see. 

My other point was that over the majority of genres of music that its more male dominated with a far higher mount of established/mainstream acts being male thus making it far harder to get a balance of acts thats fits the 50/50 booking from off the bat and jeeping it to the standards if previous years hence the overall reaction that this years line up is poor from a lot more people and newsources than normal. 

You said this

“It is if they are booking them just for the sake of booking female acts. 

They should just book the beat bands they can get, matterless of gender. “

which you have NO authority for saying as that is not what emily said in the article you quoted.

the emily article you linked says they want to address the gender imbalance on festival lineups. The basis of the imabalance is that there are talented female acts out there that do not get booked. The 50/50 balance is not kicking men off the lineup, it is actually booking female acts that in the past have not been booked at all.

Emily never said she was booking acts purely because they are female. 

You’re simply complaining about diversity at this point.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, chatty said:

So what if it was a black male guitar act, would that make a difference? 

Again, this is getting pedantic, but yes it would in terms of diversity.

The original post I was responding to grouped three acts together and asked who will be going to see all three. I made the point that people can be supportive of an inclusive lineup without wanting to see every act that isn't a white male guitar act. I said 'white male guitar' because that demographic of acts have repeatedly got prominent slots at Glastonbury over the years and aren't ever underrepresented, so it matters when talking about diversity at the festival.

10 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

You were talking about music styles though not race. I know its cool and hip for Guardianistas to hate on rock music these days, but it's getting tiresome. 

No, I was talking about diversity.

7 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

You said this

“It is if they are booking them just for the sake of booking female acts. 

They should just book the beat bands they can get, matterless of gender. “

which you have NO authority for saying as that is not what emily said in the article you quoted.

the emily article you linked says they want to address the gender imbalance on festival lineups. The basis of the imabalance is that there are talented female acts out there that do not get booked. The 50/50 balance is not kicking men off the lineup, it is actually booking female acts that in the past have not been booked at all.

Emily never said she was booking acts purely because they are female. 

You’re simply complaining about diversity at this point.

Which is why I backed it up with my argument that the poster had been changed to meet this, hence putting two female non headliners along woth the actual three all male headliners to make it look like they have booked it 50/50 across the board, when in reality they havent been able to for whatever reasons.

The likelyhood is that the full line up will be more male heavy and hence why the poster has been chopped down and also why theres been a conserted effort to have as near equal female to male across each line. 

If you cant see all this, I dunno what to say really as its literally starring at you in the face. 

Theyve made it their agenda to have an equal balance of gender which is great and Ive backed that up by quotes and the poster which in turn leads back into my original point that the industry has been so male dominated that you cant address that in the course of one festival without there being a a noticeble difference in the perception of the quality. 

In order to fit that quite they have basically resorted to booking pop and r n b acts as theres probably a huge gap into the amount of established female rock bands and sub genres hence the festival looking pop heavy and people being disappointed. 

I think thats all pretty clear to see and consistent with what Ive said the whole way through. You can dislike it or even disagree but its backed up by the quotes and the line up.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, chatty said:

My point was that they have went out of their way to balance the gender gap across the board by looking for established females over males to play there which has resulted in a different formation of the poster that makes it plain to see. 

My other point was that over the majority of genres of music that its more male dominated with a far higher amount of established/mainstream acts being male thus making it far harder to get a balance of acts thats fits the 50/50 booking from off the bat and keeping it to the standards if previous years hence the overall reaction that this years line up is poor from a lot more people and newsources than normal. 

Genuine question: why are you so angry about this? It's been days of you arguing the same points now. Why does it make you so mad? 

Loads of bands I don't want to see at the festival. Fine innit. Your choice whether to go or not.

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

8 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Didn't say that, did I? If anything, you're backing up my point about why it was weird to group Janet, Miley and Kylie together and ask who's going to see all three as if they are all of the same genre/fanbase.

Because you don't include guitar bands in your diversity comment.

Just now, Zoo Music Girl said:

Genuine question: why are you so angry about this? It's been days of you arguing the same points now. Why does it make you so mad? 

Loads of bands I don't want to see at the festival. Fine innit. Your choice whether to go or not.

Im not mad or angry. Were having a discussion, aint that what the forum is for? 

You should probably ask the people resorting to name calking why they are getting angry and mad really, Im just sticking to the point and answering anything that people to respond to. Why would you think I was angry about it? Have I been aggressive towards anyone here?