Worst line up in the last 10 years?

Xeph1995

1 hour ago, Glastocat said:

I've complained plenty about the line up so far but I wouldn't for a second think about not going. It's one of the greatest places on earth and imo the Wednesday and Thursday are probably the best days to be about the farm and I for one can't fuckin wait.?

Perhaps you should give it a go try somewhere else, you may be surprised

Are people seriously suggesting that artists like Janet Jackson and Kylie Minogue have been booked just because they're women?  You might not like their stuff but they each have 4 decades worth of experience at a high level in the music industry and more hit singles than The Cure or The Killers or basically anyone else on the lineup will ever have.

They're both entirely worthy bookings regardless of their gender.

Separately, it is absolutely a good thing for festivals like Glastonbury to push for a more gender-balanced lineup.   It's not a fair argument to say they shouldn't because there aren't enough women out there.   The more women that get booked for high profile events like this, the more women get booked for other festivals, the more women get signed to record labels, the more women think about entering the music industry.   This can have a trickle down effect that will ultimately mean there will be a wider pool of non-male fronted acts to choose from.

Dismissing Glastonbury's efforts as tokenism is really missing the point.

3 minutes ago, FakeEmpire said:

Are people seriously suggesting that artists like Janet Jackson and Kylie Minogue have been booked just because they're women?  You might not like their stuff but they each have 4 decades worth of experience at a high level in the music industry and more hit singles than The Cure or The Killers or basically anyone else on the lineup will ever have.

Separately, it is absolutely a good thing for festivals like Glastonbury to push for a more gender-balanced lineup.   It's not a fair argument to say they shouldn't because there aren't enough women out there.   The more women that get booked for high profile events like this, the more women get booked for other festivals, the more women get signed to record labels, the more women think about entering the music industry.   This can have a trickle down effect that will ultimately mean there will be a wider pool of non-male fronted acts to choose from.

Most people who are complaining are not on about Janet Jackson and Kylie.

Its the MOR/Indie lanfil rock and the weak headliners. That has been summed up a few times now.

Every couple of pages the gender things come back again for no reason.

Edited by Xeph1995

3 minutes ago, Xeph1995 said:

Every couple of pages the gender things come back again for no reason.

Literally within the last hour, someone posted "They aint gonna be able to do a 50/50 gender line up anytime soon without watering the festival down because theres just more male led musicians than females and going back its more male dominated so try to wipe out gender bias overnight was always gonna result badly. "

2 minutes ago, FakeEmpire said:

Literally within the last hour, someone posted "They aint gonna be able to do a 50/50 gender line up anytime soon without watering the festival down because theres just more male led musicians than females and going back its more male dominated so try to wipe out gender bias overnight was always gonna result badly. "

Even I'm letting it go now and I started it!

Haven't heard a single JJ song in my life and none of my friends or family have either. I guess it's something I have missed as I didn't grow up ih the UK. 

If you do a search of her name there is almost no one mentioning her here before she was roumored. 

Edited by yosoyyoberdi

16 minutes ago, FakeEmpire said:

Is anybody suggesting that? I missed it if so. For me, it's not about their booking (Kylie in particular is a great booking in the legend slot), it's about their poster position. And it's about the poster in general. It's quite clear gender has played a part in who's on the first poster and where, and that's understandable given the push for equal representation/exposure. If people believe that's a positive step then why not praise Glastonbury for doing it rather than denying that they have?

I don't think it will affect the total line up much, if at all, in the end though. They're operating at too great at scale to do something similar to Primavera. Loads of the all-male bands will come through later on, I'm sure.

Edited by The Martini Police

1 minute ago, The Martini Police said:

Is anybody suggesting that? I missed it if so. For me, it's not about their booking (Kylie in particular is a great booking in the legend slot), it's about their poster position. And it's about the poster in general. It's quite clear gender has played a part in who's on the first poster and where, and that's understandable given the push for equal representation/exposure. If you people believe that's a positive step then why not praise Glastonbury for doing it rather than denying that they have?

I don't think it will affect the total line up much, if at all, in the end though. They're operating at too great at scale to do something similar to Primavera. Loads of the all-male bands will come through later on, I'm sure.

I think it's just as likely that Kylie and Janet have been put on the top line because they're really famous and arguably more so to casual festival goers than The Cure and Stormzy.

1 minute ago, yosoyyoberdi said:

Haven't heard a single JJ song in my life and none of my friends or family have either. 

If you do a search of her name there is almost no one mentioning her here before she was roumored. 

Probably because she doesn't play live that often and AFAIK has never played UK festivals.  She's come out of the blue.

On the other hand there's an epic thread on here for The National but when they played in 2017 only 30 people showed up and out of that only 2 people enjoyed it.

4 minutes ago, FakeEmpire said:

Nothing wrong with the booking of Kylie and JJ. Imo and others they don't belong on the top line (especially JJ) at a big UK festival. It looks to me and others that they've tried to balance most lines on the poster evenly with male and female artists. 

JJ wouldn't have had that much of a mention imo if she was listed a few rows down with Sheryl Crow etc.

5 minutes ago, FakeEmpire said:

But surely with there being more male acts at the moment it's pretty obvious that it's going to be difficult to get anything like a 50/50 split straight away? A 50/50 split is where we want to end up, yes but it has to be done organically and not forced imo. I'm not saying this has happened but if it has been forced then surely that is tokenism?

The main problem here though is that unless you are a big fan of modern RnB or pop it's not a good line up. That's male or female.

3 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

Is anybody suggesting that? I missed it if so. For me, it's not about their booking (Kylie in particular is a great booking in the legend slot), it's about their poster position. And it's about the poster in general. It's quite clear gender has played a part in who's on the first poster and where, and that's understandable given the push for equal representation/exposure. If people believe that's a positive step then why not praise Glastonbury for doing it rather than denying that they have?

As the 'OP' on this, Kylie's booking was never mentioned FYI (as she is clearly a great booking - even though I personally have no interest in seeing her). It was Janet Jackson, Miley Cyrus, Sheryl Crow plus Lauryn Hill (the latter purely on the basis of her crap live rep). I completely agree with the guy a few messages ago saying they don;'t know any JJ songs.

When Janet was rumoured, I said that I wouldn't be surprised if she played but was advertised as if she was an "almost" headliner.   It doesn't surprise me at all that she's on the top line of the poster - it's exactly what I expected her team to try and do.

I think it's the same with Kylie - the legend slot has felt like a "4th headliner" for a while now but this is the first time I think we've had someone in that slot who genuinely could (should?) be headlining and so it makes sense to put her up there.

The gender balance thing is probably just an additional incentive.

4 minutes ago, Glastocat said:

But surely with there being more male acts at the moment it's pretty obvious that it's going to be difficult to get anything like a 50/50 split straight away? A 50/50 split is where we want to end up, yes but it has to be done organically and not forced imo. I'm not saying this has happened but if it has been forced then surely that is tokenism?

The main problem here though is that unless you are a big fan of modern RnB or pop it's not a good line up. That's male or female.

Primavera went 50-50 - and it's crap. Which is what got me thinking about this originally.

https://lineup.primaverasound.es/2019_artists?_ga=2.115158212.2106773931.1553100224-24758559.1553100224

27 minutes ago, FakeEmpire said:

Its true though. As already been stated bands were turning it down because they were being pushed down places to overcompensate for pushing females up the line-up. 

I mean you could do a great all female line-up if you got everyone you wanted on there but lets look at headliners. 

Youve probably got Madonna, Fleetwood Mac, Adele, Lady Gaga, Florence and The Machine, Taylor Swift, Beyonce, Rihana, Kate Bush and Im struggling now. Thats a list of two acts that have priced themselves out numerous times and dont look like they will happen, three thats headlined already, one who plays once every decade and another one whose live shows are slated as so bad theyd make people on here beg for the RHCPs

Then theres loads of acts down the card Id love to see but I dont think your gonna get them all touring at the same time and otherwise you gonna end up elevating people who arent as high up the line up as they should be. 

It should be a gradual progression instead of just trying to shoehorn enough in over the course of a couple of years. 

Edited by chatty

I think the Primavera lineup is great personally - Janelle Monae, Solange, Rosalia, Christine & the Queens, FKA Twigs, Robyn, Charli XCX, Courtney Barnett, Cardi B, Kate Tempest etc are the acts making some of the most exciting music right now.

I do understand the point that it's not great if you're not into pop or urban music but I think a lot of festivals are heading that way regardless of the gender split because that's just where popular music is at right now.

11 minutes ago, FakeEmpire said:

When Janet was rumoured, I said that I wouldn't be surprised if she played but was advertised as if she was an "almost" headliner.   It doesn't surprise me at all that she's on the top line of the poster - it's exactly what I expected her team to try and do.

I think it's the same with Kylie - the legend slot has felt like a "4th headliner" for a while now but this is the first time I think we've had someone in that slot who genuinely could (should?) be headlining and so it makes sense to put her up there.

The gender balance thing is probably just an additional incentive.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, Dolly Parton. That's the best comparison you are going to get.

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

Yeah, the Primavera line-up's great.

Eh?

Dunno which thread I read it in now, possibly this one but it was stated somewhere bands were turning spots down as they were being asked to play lower than female acts who they are bigger than just to balance the equality. 

10 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Billy Corgan appearing on the Prison Planet Show to say that he was due to headline the Other Stage with a Mellon Collie full album show but took his ball home in a huff after learning he'd be on the same poster row as Christine and the Queens.

Haha in all fairness id rather hear siamese dream in full