Worst line up in the last 10 years?

Xeph1995

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

If they'd booked Elton in the legend slot this year then I'm pretty sure he'd also have made the top line.

Yeah but he'd be by far the biggest act on the poster so it would make perfect sense for him to be there.

Same with Madonna. 

Edited by Glastocat

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

If they'd booked Elton in the legend slot this year then I'm pretty sure he'd also have made the top line.

Would he do the legend spot  though or would he want to actually headline? 

Do you think Barry Gibb would have made the top line or any of the XX, National or Biffy Clyro (if we are to belive JJ is a sub)??? 

Edited by chatty

4 minutes ago, Apone said:

I know there are Glasto uber-fans desperately trying to convince themselves and others this is a good line-up but sorry it is terrible.No imagination, very safe, very dull and very Wirelessy. I'm just so grateful I never did the lottery back in October and stuck with Green Man, tho if you did and lucked-out, I feel there will be plenty of tickets available if you fancy this shit

I've complained plenty about the line up so far but I wouldn't for a second think about not going. It's one of the greatest places on earth and imo the Wednesday and Thursday are probably the best days to be about the farm and I for one can't fuckin wait.?

• Upvote 1

Elton's been talked about on here for years as a legend slot, though I guess the consensus now is that he'd likely headline. My point still stands I think.

But fine. If the top line having 5 acts is all about gender balance it doesn't alter the fact that put together the 3 actual headliners are ropey.

2 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Fucks sake, this thread is already making me nervous about T-Day, and I'm not even done with getting excited for 2018 yet!

So excited that youve mistaken it for a year that past and which the festival didnt even happen ??????????

Fucks sake, this thread is already making me nervous about T-Day, and I'm not even done with getting excited for 2018 yet!

"2019?

Still can't stop saying 'last year' for the 2017 festival myself. In fact I say it everytime ffs.?

4 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

Best comparison is Dolly Parton in 2014. Bigger name than probably 2 of the headliners. She was below Jack White (albeit on a differently structured poster). If that was this year, you can guarantee she’d be top line.  

I do sort of get the feeling though that a certain Ms Jackson might have had some influence over where her name was on the poster....no? She's such a diva extraordinaire that she photoshopped her name to appear first on her own announcement on her twitter page!

I do sort of get the feeling though that a certain Ms Jackson might have had some influence over where her name was on the poster....no? She's such a diva extraordinaire that she photoshopped her name to appear first on her own announcement on her twitter page!

I think she's already made it clear where she would be on the poster if she had a say in the matter.?

1 hour ago, chatty said:

The Cure at least have a new album they are going to drop soon, albeit probably not before the festival and Ive already said my piece on the headliners. 

Wu Tang and Johnny Marr are on smaller stages or the latter will be at least low on the bill on a big stage. 

Bit different. 

Pretty sure Janet is ruonoured to have a new album out very soon too isnt she?

I feel like people are forgetting how huge she was. She had similar sales to The Cure ffs.

I imagine the reason why she is top line is because it was part of the negotiations and they wouodnt have gotten her otherwise (looking at the fact she photoshopped the poster even more makes that seem even more likely). I also presume the reason Kylie is topline billing is a) because it makes the poster look better (if they have to shove Janet up there anyway) and b) they are trying to make a big deal out of the Legends slot which always gets a lot of media attention

Kylie could probably headline the festival outright still. She's an adopted national treasure and has the star power and tunes for it. No qualms with her being on the top line, she's a much bigger booking for the legend slot than Barry Gibb. Imagine part of the deal for Janet in a non-headline slot was probably her being given top billing regardless.

As for the undercard, I do wonder how many acts just don't accept the lower fees to play. Probably explains why the same acts are repeated so often, because they're willing to do it regardless. With acts relying more and more on live/festival performances for income it makes sense as to why they'd go elsewhere if they get a better offer. With album sales continually plummeting regardless there's not the argument for playing 'for the exposure' unless youre at the top of the lineup as any increase in album sales I imagine is negligible for the myriad of undercard acts.

Case in point with Weezer, why should they play the festival for a fraction of the money they'd earn from their Brixton date? There's no gain in them doing so and I imagine the same goes for a lot of the non UK acts who care none too much for the 'prestige' of the festival and more about their income, which is fair enough for your low/mid sized acts.

2 hours ago, chatty said:

Mad Cool has a far better line up in the same month and its only in Spain. I think most festivals have done better this year tbh, its nowt to do with touring acts, 50th anniversary, acts unaffordable. Theyve just dropped the ball, trying to play to coy with the PC stuff and started booking irrelevant acts like Janet Jackson that people forgot about and dont really care for so they can appear to have a gender balance. 

This. Exactly. Out of up votes. 

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The line-up is dominated by a succession of awful MOR rock and indie landfill.  Why haven't they booked more of it instead of Janet Jackson?

What rock bands are on there? Theres some run of the mill indie acts (is synth-poprock if anything) but theres no rock acts, maybes Fat Whites?