Worst line up in the last 10 years?

Xeph1995

6 minutes ago, henry bear said:

What difference does what stages they’re playing make? You claimed that JJ was booked purely because of her gender and that she was otherwise irrelevant. They’re all older acts and people will go to see them to hear the hits. I fail to see how JJ is less relevant, even though I’m not particularly a fan.

Sure, shes put at the top of the card so they obviosuly felt they needed more women booked up there of name value. 

If they had Johnny Marr on the top line they would merit as much critisism. 

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Disagree. It's cos the 3 main headliners are weak as fuck.  The legend slot would also be up there, regardless of whether or not it was Kylie.

It isn’t usually. Barry Gibb was third line. Janet and Kylie are on the top line bc of a gender split - they’d likely have been second line normally but it doesn’t make a difference to the acts playing so it’s a good move.

11 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Disagree. It's cos the 3 main headliners are weak as fuck.  The legend slot would also be up there, regardless of whether or not it was Kylie.

The poster was definitely changed to suit the gender split because they had previously stated they be looking to book the fesgival 50/50 which is just stupid imo because you cant guarantee youll be able to get a balanced line up across the board each year.

So they threw Kylie and JJ on the top line to try and deflect any critisism and also chopped the poster down so it could show as much of a balance as it could. 

Its fairly clear to see. 

They aint gonna be able to do a 50/50 gender line up anytime soon without watering the festival down because theres just more male led musicians than females and going back its more male dominated so try to wipe out gender bias overnight was always gonna result badly. 

By all means push female acts more and look to get as many as you can on there but if you turning  away better acts to do so then its a bit counterproductive. 

Edited by chatty

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It isn't usually cos usually the headliners are strong enough to stand by themselves.  This year they've obviously taken the tactic of trying to make the line-up look stronger by bolstering the top line.

There’s a pretty even gender split on every line of the poster so I don’t know how you can think the top line is an apology for programming ‘weak’ headliners.

Besides it’d look stronger if they had the likes of Kylie and Janet on the second line, surely?

27 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

My guess is Albarn was one of them, you could easily imagine his planner reading

2017/18 - Gorillaz

2019 - The Good The Bad The Queen

2020 - Blur

that's a reasonable shout to what I'm thinking for non-normal headliners. Something that's not an act that's available to the fest just about every year, etc.

However, Emily's excitement when telling me - or was it alcohol-induced happiness?* - had me thinking something more-special, as did her ruling out Pink Floyd and Led Zep; my thinking was it was the sort of acts who would be compatible with PF or LZ.

(* probably :D 

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

that's a reasonable shout to what I'm thinking for non-normal headliners. Something that's not an act that's available to the fest just about every year, etc.

However, Emily's excitement when telling me - or was it alcohol-induced happiness?* - had me thinking something more-special, as did her ruling out Pink Floyd and Led Zep; my thinking was it was the sort of acts who would be compatible with PF or LZ.

(* probably :D 

Who's comparable to those two really though?

Maybe Fleetwood ?

Edited by Xeph1995

Aell the headliners being weak could be down to chasing Macca all winter unsuccesfully and then not having enough time to get a comparable name because all of Fleetwood Mac, Pearl Jam, Elton John, Madonna are kicking about this year and Id imagine that money wise there wouldnt be a huge gulf (though I could be wrong) and that basically left them scrambling for The Killers as a make weight substitute. 

The rest of the poster is just bizarre though, pop/r n b heavy, pretty much non inclusive to rock, blues, indie acts. Bumped up JJ to feature alongside the headliners and legend act, cut down number of announced acts by about 30% and tried to incorporate gender equality in each line making it look fairly imbalanced across the board for the level of acts they have booked. 

4 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

We may wind up not agreeing in this as I guess mileage may vary as to the strength of the headliners.  Stepping back from doing individual announcements for each headliner also hints that they're trying to bury bad news.

They announced Stormzy on his own though? And he’s the weakest headliner.

I think you might be bringing personal preference into it too much. The Killers and The Cure are held in higher regard by Glastonbury clientele than Stormzy and Janet, there’s no need to bury the former while boosting the latter.

18 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It isn't usually cos usually the headliners are strong enough to stand by themselves.  This year they've obviously taken the tactic of trying to make the line-up look stronger by bolstering the top line.

8 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

We may wind up not agreeing in this as I guess mileage may vary as to the strength of the headliners.  Stepping back from doing individual announcements for each headliner also hints that they're trying to bury bad news.

Definitely because of gender in my opinion, would have happened with any three male headliners in the current climate. No matter what we all make of the debate of female representation in general, there's no other credible reason to put Kylie and Janet Jackson on the top line of the poster. It doesn't make it look stronger/cover up weaker headliners, it makes it look like there's more women at the top of the bill.

Edited by The Martini Police

Just now, dentalplan said:

They announced Stormzy on his own though? And he’s the weakest headliner.

I think you might be bringing personal preference into it too much. The Killers and The Cure are held in higher regard by Glastonbury clientele than Stormzy and Janet, there’s no need to bury the former while boosting the latter.

Stormzy was announced in November. Sounds like Macca fell through at Xmas.

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The headliners are unimaginative or weak depending on your view but that doesn't change the fact that they are the headliners and that JJ shouldn't be near the top of a big UK festival line up, never mind the top line. 

It's obvious they've tried to balance the top line with male and female artists as they've done with most of the poster and JJ doesn't belong there.

2 minutes ago, chatty said:

Aell the headliners being weak could be down to chasing Macca all winter unsuccesfully and then not having enough time to get a comparable name because all of Fleetwood Mac, Pearl Jam, Elton John, Madonna are kicking about this year and Id imagine that money wise there wouldnt be a huge gulf (though I could be wrong) and that basically left them scrambling for The Killers as a make weight substitute. 

The rest of the poster is just bizarre though, pop/r n b heavy, pretty much non inclusive to rock, blues, indie acts. Bumped up JJ to feature alongside the headliners and legend act, cut down number of announced acts by about 30% and tried to incorporate gender equality in each line making it look fairly imbalanced across the board for the level of acts they have booked. 

Pearl Jam would be a dream

I know there are Glasto uber-fans desperately trying to convince themselves and others this is a good line-up but sorry it is terrible.No imagination, very safe, very dull and very Wirelessy. I'm just so grateful I never did the lottery back in October and stuck with Green Man, tho if you did and lucked-out, I feel there will be plenty of tickets available if you fancy this shit

• Downvote 1

Just now, eFestivals said:

Who knows? U2? Stones? Macca? Madge? Kate Bush? Probably plenty of others too.

Kinks?

I reckon Ray and Dave would make up and become friends again at somewhere like Glastonbury rather than for money, but it depends on how skint they are I guess.