Worst line up in the last 10 years?

Xeph1995

Just now, Mattymooz said:

This thread is so infuriating. I get how people may not like the rock part of the lineup but then saying the issue is the pop/rnb acts?!

Also to the dude saying Imagine Dragons was a highlight of Woodstock, god I hope we never see them on the farm

He'll be there for Bastille and TDCC.

7 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Fair enough. I’m just pretty sure that if they missed the likes of Tame Impala, Hot Chip, Vampire Weekend and a few others, it wouldn’t have been looked upon positively by most.

True but some of that could have been balanced out by the inclusions of slightly more rare acts like NIN, Iggy, Groove Armada etc and even the Prodigy would have been a Glastonbury rarity.

For a variety of reasons that didn’t happen which has left the line-up (bar several female led pop and r’n’b acts) feeling a bit flat with acts I like but nothing new

20 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Lol and this doesnt apply to any other genre, just rock...

Yet we only ever see it mentioned with rock acts. It's not like The Cure and the Foo Fighters are exactly the sane band. 

6 hours ago, Matt42 said:

While arcade fire would be great I feel they really didn’t make an impact on the festival and I think most people forget they even played. jack white (whilst being a hero of mine) was a mess and clearly drunk on stage.

imo the only reason the public remembers 2014 is because of Dolly. It’s definitely the year that had the least impact on the minds of the public and goers across recent history.

I remember watching Arcade Fire on TV and thinking they weren't great. Although I don't really like them post Suburbs. 

So.. I have had another go at the lineup poster and it isn't as terrible as the first impression. I have fully located my issue with it and it's clearly the first line, which is appalling imo. I have listened a few new names and have found a couple more acts to see. Still the worst lineup in 15 years though. 

How is Woodstock any worse than this? More interesting acts to see and has JayZ instead of Stormzy. 

54 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

The biggest problem with the initial lineup this year is the 'men with guitars'/band aspect of it are essentially all NME-favourites Glastonbury lineup mainstays of the past decade or so:

The Killers, George Ezra, Liam Gallagher, Tame Impala, Vampire Weekend, Two Door Cinema Club, Bastille, Years & Years, Hot Chip, Johnny Marr, Jungle, Interpol, Friendly Fires, Kurt Vile, Fat White Family, etc

That was my point earlier in the thread, it's just so MOR and tbh you could look at any festival line up and see those acts. It was missing a couple of wow factors. 

29 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

This thread is so infuriating. I get how people may not like the rock part of the lineup but then saying the issue is the pop/rnb acts?!

Also to the dude saying Imagine Dragons was a highlight of Woodstock, god I hope we never see them on the farm

I never said they were a highlight, I listed them as they are quite a big band with a big following and are probably gonna be midway down on Woodstocks stage, theyd be subbing Glasto. 

I think they are shite personally but id still go and see them over Janet Jackson, Miley Cyrus and Janell Monae. 

Just now, chatty said:

I never said they were a highlight, I listed them as they are quite a big band with a big following and are probably gonna be midway down on Woodstocks stage, theyd be subbing Glasto. 

I think they are shite personally but id still go and see them over Janet Jackson, Miley Cyrus and Janell Monae. 

Imagine Dragons wouldn't be subbing at Glastonbury.

Anyway, its clearly the worst line-up in a long time, no other year produced such a discussion for so long in so many outlets and that says it all really. 

Doesnt mean the festival will be bad, itll be great but its certainly a fair discussion to have for a fucking music festival. 

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, chatty said:

Anyway, its clearly the worst line-up in a long time, no other year produced such a discussion for so long in so many outlets and that says it all really. 

Doesnt mean the festival will be bad, itll be great but its certainly a fair discussion to have for a fucking music festival. 

It's the worst initial lineup for sure. I'm sure (or at least I hope) come the full lineup we'll all be wondering why they chose the selection of acts for the first poster and not some of the others, or at least that the lower reaches of the lineup are a bit more inspired.

2 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

The biggest problem with the initial lineup this year is the 'men with guitars'/band aspect of it are essentially all NME-favourites Glastonbury lineup mainstays of the past decade or so:

The Killers, George Ezra, Liam Gallagher, Tame Impala, Vampire Weekend, Two Door Cinema Club, Bastille, Years & Years, Hot Chip, Johnny Marr, Jungle, Interpol, Friendly Fires, Kurt Vile, Fat White Family, etc*

You are completely spot on but Im pretty sure that's what must of us here have been getting at. That list is proper eye roll material.

1 hour ago, H.M.V said:

Chin up then. Easier to get tickets come October if everyone thinks it's shite. 

Fingers crossed for this ? I don't see a massive problem with the lineup on a personal level, even though it's objectively not that exciting (if you're not into Janet Jackson or Kylie), BUT if everyone else thinks it's so shit they want to do another festival next year, then that works for me

And I definitely want some people to be put off to stop a total TDay cluster fuck, so I'd much rather it was this poster doing that than a shit tonne of rain ? (and I'm not sure if this makes me crazy even by efests standards, but I already obsessively worrying about what this weirdly mild winter will mean for the weather in the end of June....)

Edited by Sasperella

9 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Fingers crossed for this ? I don't see a massive problem with the lineup on a personal level, even though it's objectively not that exciting (if you're not into Janet Jackson or Kylie), BUT if everyone else thinks it's so shit they want to do another festival next year, then that works for me

And I definitely want some people to be put off to stop a total TDay cluster fuck, so I'd much rather it was this poster doing that than a shit tonne of rain ? (and I'm not sure if this makes me crazy even by efests standards, but I already obsessively worrying about what this weirdly mild winter will mean for the weather in the end of June....)

I reckon its gunna be a scorcher this year. 

14 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Tbh, you could have Daphne & Celeste headlining all three days and the tickets will still be gone in record time. 

22 minutes ago, Xeph1995 said:

You are completely spot on but Im pretty sure that's what must of us here have been getting at. That list is proper eye roll material.

Every festival in the UK in the last couple of years has been so MOR. There's just no imagination anymore in the bookings and you're pretty much guaranteed to see the same acts everywhere now. I think we'll lose a few festivals in the next 5/10 years. 

45 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

Every festival in the UK in the last couple of years has been so MOR. There's just no imagination anymore in the bookings and you're pretty much guaranteed to see the same acts everywhere now. I think we'll lose a few festivals in the next 5/10 years. 

I'm gonna mention WOMAD, Shambala and Boomtown as three examples that contradict you. 

I think you are right for festivals that are rock/indie focused though - there's loads of shows and only so many acts available to book. 

3 minutes ago, jfaragher said:

I'm gonna mention WOMAD, Shambala and Boomtown as three examples that contradict you. 

I think you are right for festivals that are rock/indie focused though - there's loads of shows and only so many acts available to book. 

Yeah Boomtown is good this year. I was thinking that Glastonbury, Reading, IOW, Latitude and TRNSMT pretty much have the same bands on their line ups and you can probably guess half of next year's line ups too already.