Worst line up in the last 10 years?

Xeph1995

7 hours ago, Matt42 said:

2016 was a heckling strong year.

I think 2014 is the only lineup I can really recall that felt like it was missing a bit of star power. 2019 is very heavy on star power regardless of what this board thinks.

Okay but fuck star power I’m in about acts you like.

Think 2014 is actually the high watermark for me.

6 hours ago, MetaKate said:

Theres no bad lineups, only bad attitudes. 

“least incredible” then?

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

2014 and 2015 had Kanye and Metallica who both absolutely had the right to headline, regardless of being divisive. 

You have to go back to 2007 find a similar top tier without a marquee name.

I completely agree Kanye should have headlined. That wasn't my point - it was that in spite of Kanye (a big name) being on the line up - 2015 is a less memorable year for me, after Matt said 2014 was the least.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

6 hours ago, tevaburger said:

and I thought you were going to lay into @chatty because he listed 12 acts (including Greta Van Fleet!) and then edits to add in 4 more and yet still didn't mention The Dead 

I didnt know whonDead & Company were, now ive had a look and saw its a revamp of Grateful Dead that just makes it better. Jesus, thats one of the best line ups Ive seen, full stop.

Unless someone goes through and makes a ‘top 65 from the first poster’ for each year to compare we can’t easily.

After my initial positivity about the line-up I am struggling to make a playlist of picks from BSR’s overall list that I particularly want to listen to.

That hasn’t happened previously (gone to consecutive years since 2011) and I actively look forward to having excellent music to listen to and picture at Glastonbury when this time of year comes around.

2014 and 2015 had Kanye and Metallica who both absolutely had the right to headline, regardless of being divisive. 

You have to go back to 2007 find a similar top tier without a marquee name.

The hype around Arctic Monkeys’ first headline show was pretty marquee if you ask me, regardless of whether they spaffed it or not.

Tbf apart from the tokenism segue I think the discussion has been fine. As someone who is underwhelmed by the lineup I think many of the (non tokenism) points have been fair. 

And there's not much point coming into a thread called this and complaining its negative. You'd be as well going into the New Music thread and complaining nobody was talking about how great Rubber Soul is

The line-up is still dominated by men though.

Besides, those sort of comments at about the entire spectrum of music festivals across the years, not just one specific poster in 2019.  Men with guitars still dominate.

If the poster is bad it's not because of Lizzo or Sigrid.

The point was its easy to ignore things, plenty women on the Woodstock poster as well. 

The biggest problem with the initial lineup this year is the 'men with guitars'/band aspect of it are essentially all NME-favourites Glastonbury lineup mainstays of the past decade or so:

The Killers, George Ezra, Liam Gallagher, Tame Impala, Vampire Weekend, Two Door Cinema Club, Bastille, Years & Years, Hot Chip, Johnny Marr, Jungle, Interpol, Friendly Fires, Kurt Vile, Fat White Family, etc*

So whereas stuff like Janet Jackson, Miley Cyrus, Lauryn Hill, Janelle Monae, Christine & the Queens, Jorja Smith, Lizzo,  Sigrid, Rosalia, etc are all exciting and largely first time bookings, if you're not in to female lead pop/RnB and are more in to bands then there isn't a whole lot to get excited about if you've been to Glastonbury in recent years - a good handful of these bands have been popping up at the top of the lineup every couple of years now.

I'm pretty confident that'll be amended come the full lineup, but is more an indication of guitar acts (or at least top tier first poster worthy ones) being on their arse at the moment.

9 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

The biggest problem with the initial lineup this year is the 'men with guitars'/band aspect of it are essentially all NME-favourites Glastonbury lineup mainstays of the past decade or so:

The Killers, George Ezra, Liam Gallagher, Tame Impala, Vampire Weekend, Two Door Cinema Club, Bastille, Years & Years, Hot Chip, Johnny Marr, Jungle, Interpol, Friendly Fires, Kurt Vile, Fat White Family, etc*

So whereas stuff like Janet Jackson, Miley Cyrus, Lauryn Hill, Janelle Monae, Christine & the Queens, Jorja Smith, Lizzo,  Sigrid, Rosalia, etc are all exciting and largely first time bookings, if you're not in to female lead pop/RnB and are more in to bands then there isn't a whole lot to get excited about if you've been to Glastonbury in recent years - a good handful of these bands have been popping up at the top of the lineup every couple of years now.

I'm pretty confident that'll be amended come the full lineup, but is more an indication of guitar acts (or at least top tier first poster worthy ones) being on their arse at the moment.

You’re gonna watch more from that first litter of names than the second, though, aren’t you?

Just now, dentalplan said:

You’re gonna watch more from that first litter of names than the second, though, aren’t you?

Liam, Tame Impala, Vampire Weekend, Hot Chip, Interpol, Friendly Fires from the first.
Janet, Miley, Lauryn, Lizzo, Rosalia, Sigrid from the second.

Clashes dependant of course, but I sure as hell know which ones I'm more excited about seeing/which are must sees rather than 'I'll see them if there's nobody better on'.

And that's not factoring the already devastating blow of having to miss Janelle.

7 hours ago, tevaburger said:

and I thought you were going to lay into @chatty because he listed 12 acts (including Greta Van Fleet!) and then edits to add in 4 more and yet still didn't mention The Dead 

Theres about ten people on this forum that could name two chewns by The Dead. Diff'rent bag o'weed in the US of course. Love the fact theyve got such a groove on that theyre headlining this badlad.

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

Liam, Tame Impala, Vampire Weekend, Hot Chip, Interpol, Friendly Fires from the first.
Janet, Miley, Lauryn, Lizzo, Rosalia, Sigrid from the second.

Clashes dependant of course, but I sure as hell know which ones I'm more excited about seeing/which are must sees rather than 'I'll see them if there's nobody better on'.

And that's not factoring the already devastating blow of having to miss Janelle.

Fair enough. I’m just pretty sure that if they missed the likes of Tame Impala, Hot Chip, Vampire Weekend and a few others, it wouldn’t have been looked upon positively by most.

16 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Nail on the head. Even the couple of male acts on that list I like (plus Chemical Brothers) are yet to bring a new album out so I’m not as excited as I would/hopefully will be. My desire to see Foals doubled after their recent release.

6 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I think most people forget they even played.

My friend literally forgot he'd even watched them. He was a bit of a state tbf, was professing his love to everyone for most of the set etc etc, and then at the end had to be helped back to his tent. Next morning:

"Why didn't we watch Arcade Fire?"

Probably a reflection of his state of mind more than anything AF did or didn't do though tbf....