Worst line up in the last 10 years?

Xeph1995

3 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

Why what was wrong with the crowd? I was there for him at the back and it was a great set, yeah it wasn't rammed but certainly wasn't empty either (King Gizzard on after was rammed mind you!)

It was so dead. Maybe it was more lively at the back, but I was right up the front where you'd think people would move and stuff. 

18 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

It was so dead. Maybe it was more lively at the back, but I was right up the front where you'd think people would move and stuff. 

I've found that at festival sets.  People assume the front is rammed, or arrive just in time, so they stay further back and party.  Front a lot of the time is people camped there waiting for something else.  Or to be on telly

2 minutes ago, Quark said:

I've found that at festival sets.  People assume the front is rammed, or arrive just in time, so they stay further back and party.  Front a lot of the time is people camped there waiting for something else.  Or to be on telly

This was in William's Green though! You'd think everyone there would be a fan to make an effort, although I suspect half the crowd were waiting for King Gizzard as the tent was rammed when i walked past afterwards. 

Then again when I watch festival crowds across the globe on YT they always seem completely dead for bands these days, even if the music demands a headbang or jumping. 

4 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

This was in William's Green though! You'd think everyone there would be a fan to make an effort, although I suspect half the crowd were waiting for King Gizzard as the tent was rammed when i walked past afterwards. 

Then again when I watch festival crowds across the globe on YT they always seem completely dead for bands these days, even if the music demands a headbang or jumping. 

It's the biggest difference I noticed with Benicassim.  Yes it was full of pissed kids and I felt like the oldest person in the world, but the place was bouncing from the front to the back.

26 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

I think people just enjoy gigs in different ways and just because someone isn't going wild doesn't mean they are not enjoying it - I wasn't moving too much for Thurston but really enjoyed his set :) 

Yeah King Gizzard was crazy as just managed to squeeze back in after going for a beer run!

Edited by shoptildrop

7 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

I think people just enough gigs in different ways and just because someone isn't going wild doesn't mean they are not enjoying it - I wasn't moving too much for Thurston but really enjoyed his set :) 

Yeah King Gizzard was crazy as just managed to squeeze back in after going for a beer run!

True, although it's probably my own fault for thinking it would be crazy and getting excited. It was just me and one other person jumping up and down in the end. ?

14 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

I think people just enough gigs in different ways and just because someone isn't going wild doesn't mean they are not enjoying it - I wasn't moving too much for Thurston but really enjoyed his set :) 

It's an interesting point for me.  Appreciate that everyone enjoys gigs in their own way, but if your way of way of enjoying a gig is to be relatively sedate should you make room at the front for the dancers?  It can be quite awkward dancing in the middle of statues, mainly because you have to be so careful when moving not to bounce people around!

Edited by Quark

1 minute ago, Quark said:

It's an interesting point for me.  Appreciate that everyone enjoys gigs in their own way, but if your way of way of enjoying a gig is to be relatively sedate should you make room at the front for the dancers?  It can be quite awkward dancing in the middle of statues, mainly because you have to be so careful when moving not to bounce people around!

I was at the back and tbh quite a few folk seemed to be chilled out enjoying the set than full on madness, which I personally would not expected with this set (I do sort of remember the pogo people at the front of this gig the more I think about it :) )

On you point on trying not to bang into statics, I think as long as you are trying to be considerate I don't think people mind pogo folk!! If anything, I have found it can become infectious and some actually start making some movement because they feel less conscious about being in said pogo's presence :) 

I guess it depends on the music really. If it's more chilled, you'd look silly jumping up and down, although I've seen people trying to mosh pit to The National before weirdly. But when it's faster and heavier, it kind of spoils the atmosphere for me if no one's moving. 

Edited by Chinaski_

11 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

I guess it depends on the music really. If it's more chilled, you'd look silly jumping up and down, although I've seen people trying to mosh pit to The National before weirdly. But when it's faster and heavier, it kind of spoils the atmosphere for me if no one's moving. 

Although i completely agree Glastonbury is never gunna have crowds that are that lively. 

This is the best crowd ive seen on video, The whole place was jumping up and down, wish I had been the energy looks immense. 

Edited by Xeph1995
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Xeph1995 said:

Although i completely agree Glastonbury is never gunna have crowds like this much to my dismay.

The whole place was jumping up and down, wish I had been the energy looks immense. 

The crowds for Napalm Death and Dead Kennedys were insane though to be fair. 

Although this was (scarily) 20 years ago now, what I'd give to be in a big festival crowd like that!

5 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

The crowds for Napalm Death and Dead Kennedys were insane though to be fair. 

Although this was (scarily) 20 years ago now, what I'd give to be in a big festival crowd like that!

Probably due to the fact that people still broke in during this era. That does look glorious tbf, Loving the weather too proper dirty festival. 

Edited by Xeph1995

45 minutes ago, Quark said:

This, this and more this.

Last time Chemical Brothers played I was stood behind a bunch of people videoing the whole thing on their phones, nobody dancing. Completely killed it for me.

16 minutes ago, Xeph1995 said:

Probably due to the fact that people still broke in during this era. That does look glorious tbf, Loving the weather too proper dirty festival. 

Not as many wellies back then either, more Dr Martens and Converse. You can't really jump up and down in wellies. 

Just now, henry bear said:

We didn’t need wellies in ‘99

I hate wearing wellies unless it's that muddy that there's no alternative. I don't understand why people wear them when it's hot and dry. 

1 hour ago, Quark said:

It's the biggest difference I noticed with Benicassim.  Yes it was full of pissed kids and I felt like the oldest person in the world, but the place was bouncing from the front to the back.

Having done Beni a few times plus NOS Alive, doing Rock Werchter was a different beast. Apart from SOAD and Prophets of Rage, there was next to no atmosphere, nobody going for it, was just so flat.

The Prodigy at Beni was immense, and gives me proper chills now given Keith's passing. Shame that festival seems to be heading in a different direction, there used to be some amazing lineups for £100 a ticket.

40 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Jumping up and down at gigs is / was just a nineties trend rather than the way its always been.  If you look at footage of gigs in the 70s and 80s no-one's bouncing there either.

I'm glad it's gradually died down.  It was fucking exhausting.

it was something that was big in the 80's I'd argue and then continued into the 90's. I remember 'tame' gigs like U2 at Wembley Stadium in '87 and Simple Minds '86 Milton Keynes that were bouncers, the dust storm on the Saturday (day one of two, the France-Brazil QF that went to pens, same night as The Cure playing their first Glasto headline set) of the Minds at Milton Keynes and the difficulty breathing something i remember. 

I love how the Fun Lovin' Crims footage comes up, that's the first one that everyone brings up

Even if you look at Inxs at Wembley back at start of 90's, this was something that was carrying over from the 80's not a new thing just starting.....