Worst line up in the last 10 years?

Xeph1995

Just now, Chinaski_ said:

Personally I find pop music brings worse crowd than less mainstream acts just from experiences that I've had. Ruder, aggressive, talking and shouting over other acts, no manners etc. But that said Glastonbury tickets are always going to sell out on the day regardless, so those crowds will come anyway. 

That's why I don't like poppier line ups tbh, plus the music too. 

Tend to get a lot more piss thrown about at rock gigs though.

I should point out that I have no strong feeling either way.  There's some amazing pop music and some shit pop music.  There's amazing rock music and shit rock music.

Horses for courses innit

1 hour ago, yosoyyoberdi said:

Do you know how exclusives work at all? 

Touring in America? Really? Is that even an excuse? 

I don't know why some of you have to be constantly defending the festival, specially with poor excuses. It's like you got money in it or smt... 

Best. Post. Ever.

49 minutes ago, Xeph1995 said:

I think the fact that rock is drying a death is a hard pill to swallow. 

For me it is anyway.

Tell me about it.

My favourite Glastonbury was 2014, loads of rock acts on that poster but not many under the age of 40.

48 minutes ago, Homer said:

I have been posting on here for 15 odd years and I don't think I've ever seen Sheryl Crow (no e), Miley Cyrus or Janet Jackson appear on a single wishlist once - and there have been thousands of those. Is anyone here planning on going and seeing all three of them?

I think I've made a shout for Sheryl Crow every year. I'll be there but won't be seeing the other two, they are very far removed in what they do to what Sheryl Crow does.

58 minutes ago, Homer said:

I have been posting on here for 15 odd years and I don't think I've ever seen Sheryl Crowe, Miley Cyrus or Janet Jackson appear on a single wishlist once - and there have been thousands of those. Is anyone here planning on going and seeing all three of them?

Sheryl Crow has been on my Glastonbury wish list for ever.   I'm not sure why she's being put it into the pop act category anyway.   Her stuff is folk, country, Americana, blues etc.   Maybe because she had some big pop radio hits?   Those first 3 Sheryl Crow albums are excellent.

Miley and Janet probably haven't been on many wishlists because, until recently, they just seemed unlikely to ever play there but the festival is far more accepting of pop now.

7 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

Personally I find pop music brings worse crowd than less mainstream acts just from experiences that I've had. Ruder, aggressive, talking and shouting over other acts, no manners etc. But that said Glastonbury tickets are always going to sell out on the day regardless, so those crowds will come anyway. 

That's why I don't like poppier line ups tbh, plus the music too. 

Surely the worst crowds are at lad indie. Yet some people want the likes of Catfish and the Gerry Cinna-men added.

Miley and Janet are one time deals,  which on the whole is preferable to acts like Tame Impala and Two Door Cinema Club who're on practically every year.  Theyre the sort of 'only at Glastonbury' bookings that differentiate the G from other more pedestrian festivals that do book from the same pool of acts every time.

3 minutes ago, mcshed said:

Surely the worst crowds are at lad indie. Yet some people want the likes of Catfish and the Gerry Cinna-men added.

Hard to say. Ive been to plenty indie gigs and they can have a rowdy bunch but its usually the gype that like to act hard and cant follow through on it so its rare any trouble actually breaks out. 

Ive found pop- punk gigs were full of w*nkers from the ones Ive been too tbough that was years ago so Im guessing their crowd have aged and mellowed some now. 

I dont think Ive ever been to a pop gig but I read plenty about fuckwits at them.

Any metal/rock gigs Ive been to Ive never seen any bother. 

21 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

I always see that as an indie thing.

18 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Aye, without wishing to veer into generalisations it tends to be the bucket hat brigade that are worst for it.

13 minutes ago, mcshed said:

My poor wording.  Generalising between "rock" and "pop".  So yeah, yer lad indie and Kasabian types.  But also recall tales from my brother of the amount of piss being slung about at Donington back in the day.

40 minutes ago, Quark said:

Sound fair?

37 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Glastonbury doesn't pay as much as the other festivals, Latitude for example will be able to offer LDR much more for an exclusive headline slot than GF will for a sub/third Pyramid place. 

Both points are fair. We all know Glastonbury doesn't pay as much as other festivals and every year it has managed its way through. Its not something new. 

Imo it hasn't happened this year. Is it due to younger artists not giving importance to Glastonbury and just wanting money? Might be. Is it the organisers failing in negotiations with McCartney, LDR and others? Who knows.. 

Just now, yosoyyoberdi said:

Imo it hasn't happened this year. Is it due to younger artists not giving importance to Glastonbury and just wanting money? Might be. Is it the organisers failing in negotiations with McCartney, LDR and others? Who knows..  

"Who knows" I can work with.  I think that like anyone with something they love, the (seemingly) constant knocking of "Glastonbury has failed" tends to put us on the defensive :)

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Miley and Janet are one time deals,  which on the whole is preferable to acts like Tame Impala and Two Door Cinema Club who're on practically every year.  Theyre the sort of 'only at Glastonbury' bookings that differentiate the G from other more pedestrian festivals that do book from the same pool of acts every time.

The implication being that purely being different or rare makes them preferable? Few obvious flaws in that one. 

Tame Impala on the Other Stage is a fantastic booking, there won't be many festivals managing to get an act of that calibre on their second stage very often, and it won't happen much with Tame Impala in the future either.