Worst line up in the last 10 years?

Xeph1995

The line up hasn't bothered me it is what it is . I won;t see most of them anyway.

what has upset me is the lack of effort that they have gen to this year to announce the headliners. They put a poster in a window (what is this 1986... I want Eavis parachuting naked from 50 thousand feet dragging a banner behind him saying the Cure or Emily on page 3 with nothing but a banner covering her boobs reading the killers,. you know big bold statements 

2 minutes ago, Garrett_Salas said:

Thing is, maybe in 2013 it was different, but last time I checked, Primavera was the hipster haven and hipsters seem to adore Robyn and Carly Rae Jepson, so seems like a logical fit.

Hipsters to me are posers who pretend to not like anything mainstream but then listen to top 40 acts. 

Primavera was more 90s/80s cult bands/ATP acts but there isn't much there this year. Jawbreaker, Stephen Malkmus and Stiff Little Fingers would be good though. 

2 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

I do think rock is dying sadly, I think it peaked in the 80s and 90s really. There was that post punk revival period in the early to mid 00s were there were a few decent bands, but they're really hasn't been anything since then that's made an impression. Even in the underground scenes there really isn't much originality anymore either. 

I can definitely see why you'd say that. I'm a sucker for modern jangly, key-changing, wall of sound, neo-psychedelia, which let's be honest, most of those bands borrow very heavily from the likes of Velvet Underground, Jefferson Airplane, The 13th Floor Elevators, Pretty Things, etc. Any new stuff might not be original or better than what it borrows from I just love the sound.

2 minutes ago, yosoyyoberdi said:

You guys keep mistaking availability with the actual lineup-poster outcome. 

What comes in the lineup is not all the available acts in the world. They are acts that Glastonbury has approached and successfully negotiated with. For example, Lana Del Rey, has been approached, said NO to Glastonbury for whatever reason and said YES to been an exclusive elsewhere. It doesn't mean she wasnt available, it means Glastonbury has failed in the negotiations. (at least that's what some newspapers are saying) 

In the same way, if Ariana hasn't been approached at all, it doesn't mean she is not available. It means Glastonbury hasn't bother negotiating with her. (not saying is the case). 

Of course, I haven't been involved in any negotiation but I am inclined to think that neither of you have either. So please explain how you know X or Y act wasn't available and give X or Y excuse. 

Hopefully I have been clear enough. If not please excuse me as English is not my first language. 

OK, look at it this way.  Glastonbury is a festival like any other, yes?  Glastonbury fans and regulars have a habit of thinking that all artists and performers place the same importance on the festival that we do, but clearly that's not the case.  Some will, but equally a lot won't. To them it's just a festival appearance.

So that's your first point. It's just a gig.

Glastonbury is well known for having a limited budget due to its charitable donations.  Acts will regularly play for a lower fee than they would normally expect for a comparable festival.  An example that gets mentioned is Bruce Springsteen, whose agents reportedly dismissed the initial offer out of hand due to it be well below his normal fee. He was persuaded to play once he was given information on the history and charitable nature of the festival, but the fee was an issue.

So that's point two.  They can't always compete on fees with other festivals, so an artist can be offered more money to do something else.  Or they might just not think it's worth the money they're being offered.

So artists can get more money elsewhere to do the same thing, or even if there's not a double booking like that they just feel they're being underpaid.  Unless they have some kind of connection with the ethos or history of the festival, it's entirely possible that they'll just reject it.

In any negotiation you have a walkaway point, beyond which it's a bad deal and the cost outweighs the benefit.  If, for argument's sake,  Ariana has set her minimum fee at a point that is well above Glastonbury's maximum fee, then it's probably not going to happen.  You could argue that Ariana has failed in the negotiation because she's missed out on earning money by pricing herself out of the market. If Glastonbury ended up without headliners, or without enough acts to fill the festival, that would be an absolute failure. But that's clearly not the case.

So while we don't have visibility of what negotiations the festival has or hasn't had or has missed out on, it's not a reasonable assumption to make that they have failed in negotiations. 

Sound fair?

7 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

Would you all be celebrating his booking in 2019 or complaining? Just wondering. 

Personally, no but there'd be 80,000+ people in that field who would and I'd be happy for them. I'd be too busy enjoying myself listening to something I like to throw shade on someone else's happiness

17 minutes ago, yosoyyoberdi said:

You guys keep mistaking availability with the actual lineup-poster outcome. 

What comes in the lineup is not all the available acts in the world. They are acts that Glastonbury has approached and successfully negotiated with. For example, Lana Del Rey, has been approached, said NO to Glastonbury for whatever reason and said YES to been an exclusive elsewhere. It doesn't mean she wasnt available, it means Glastonbury has failed in the negotiations. (at least that's what some newspapers are saying) 

In the same way, if Ariana hasn't been approached at all, it doesn't mean she is not available. It means Glastonbury hasn't bother negotiating with her. (not saying is the case). 

Of course, I haven't been involved in any negotiation but I am inclined to think that neither of you have. So please explain how you know X or Y act wasn't available and give X or Y excuse. 

Hopefully I have been clear enough. If not please excuse me as English is not my first language. 

Glastonbury doesn't pay as much as the other festivals, Latitude for example will be able to offer LDR much more for an exclusive headline slot than GF will for a sub/third Pyramid place.

Likewise Grande's US tour would have been booked at least a year in advance, probably around the same time the GF bookers were working on this year. Most major acts know what they're doing at least a year in advance.

Edited by Hugh Jass

4 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

Would you all be celebrating his booking in 2019 or complaining? Just wondering. 

Neither I would treat it with the same indifference I treat most acts that aren't for me. I'd likely have been more annoyed about in 98 but I'm no longer a teenager and understand the world isn't all about me.

16 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

I do think rock is dying sadly, I think it peaked in the 80s and 90s really. There was that post punk revival period in the early to mid 00s were there were a few decent bands, but they're really hasn't been anything since then that's made an impression. Even in the underground scenes there really isn't much originality anymore either. 

Rock peaked in the 70s troughed in the 80s peaked back in the 90s and has been trialing off ever since. 

Edited by Xeph1995

10 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

I'd definitely think it was a shit booking, probably not quite at the level of complaining because I know something else would be on somewhere else. Nothing to do with whether he's pop or not, but because:

I don't rate him as a performer - anyone who gets the crowd to sing that much of the song for them can get tae fuck

I don't rate his output  - he's released consistently poop stuff for, I would argue, 8 albums solid with no song since Feel spending any time in my head

I don't rate him as a personality - I find him insufferably smug and preening, which a performer can get away with as a persona if they have the chops to back it up.  He doesn't.

And also, Party Like A Russian.

1 minute ago, Quark said:

I'd definitely think it was a shit booking, probably not quite at the level of complaining because I know something else would be on somewhere else. Nothing to do with whether he's pop or not, but because:

I don't rate him as a performer - anyone who gets the crowd to sing that much of the song for them can get tae fuck

I don't rate his output  - he's released consistently poop stuff for, I would argue, 8 albums solid with no song since Feel spending any time in my head

I don't rate him as a personality - I find him insufferably smug and preening, which a performer can get away with as a persona if they have the chops to back it up.  He doesn't.

And also, Party Like A Russian.

Personally I find pop music brings worse crowd than less mainstream acts just from experiences that I've had. Ruder, aggressive, talking and shouting over other acts, no manners etc. But that said Glastonbury tickets are always going to sell out on the day regardless, so those crowds will come anyway. 

That's why I don't like poppier line ups tbh, plus the music too.