Worst line up in the last 10 years?

Xeph1995

From what I've seen GF has always been a mix of the contemporary, the marquee and the nostalgic.

At the moment the contemporary is shifting (albeit not exclusively) toward electronica and pop.  In the mainstream, guitar bands don't hold a strong position. The ability to write, release and promote your own stuff works well for people who are doing their own thing with laptops and the like, and not relying on 4 people with space to rehearse and record.

Lineup reflects that.  Yeah, some of them are a  bit of a stretch maybe, but then how the fuck did someone like Rolf Harris (pre-scandal) manage to be such a welcome addition to the lineup?  Who at Glastonbury had ever really been asking for Dolly Parton or Lionel Richie?

We either get on board or get left behind :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

The important thing and potential problem to address is equality of opportunity. If that's limited for women (or a race or any other identity) then it needs to be addressed (and of course this does happen). If there is equality of opportunity but not equality of outcome, then there's no issue to address. Same applies to every industry and job role.

Sure - just to make it clear, the 50:50 on average between musicians as a whole is a logical starting point for the chain of thinking. I'm not demanding an exact split of that for all musicians in the world.

On 3/15/2019 at 7:28 PM, bennyhana22 said:

Thanks, @Eyebrow

Child 3 is always going on about Maribou State and I think I’ve been remiss in hearing next to nothing and sticking them in the ‘too much else to listen to this lot’ pile. Will defo go again on your rec. Oh dear - my, ahem, interest in techno is not quite as discreet as I imagined, eh?

:)

Ben

You must have a pretty strong imagination if you thought "discreet" was a word that was in any way associated with your interest in techno.

5 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

In the mainstream, maybe. But there are still some amazing rock acts around, particularly smaller acts. And there are some great benefits from them not being that recognised. Cheaper, more intimate gigs for one. Arena gigs are all well and good, but they can be a little soulless. Rock is alive and well, you've just gotta get out there and find it

I keep hearing that, but when I check these new bands it just sounds like a rehash of everything I've heard before just not as good or memorable. Maybe I'm just getting old now. I'm starting sound more like Homer Simpson in that Homerpalooza episode everyday now. 

5 minutes ago, Xeph1995 said:

Oh I know but the thing is, there is something special about seeing a band you love headline a stage/tent at a festival I don't know what it is but the buzz in the atmosphere is something else I find.

I do love a small gig mind but Idk.

Yeah, you're right and there's nowhere better than the Pyramid for that. 2019 will be my tenth Glastonbury and I've never seen any of my favourite stadium/arena sized bands headline but I'll always remember the buzz that surrounded that field before seeing the likes of Blur, Foo Fighters, etc. Absolutely electric.

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The half of the line-up comprising women is so clearly stronger than the male half that it's only an argument for more tokenism.

Indeed, when the best alternative from the yet to be announced acts is the pissing Courteeners I say bring on the sisters.

Edited by Hugh Jass

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The half of the line-up comprising women is so clearly stronger than the male half that it's only an argument for more tokenism.

Indeed. CalGon, your comments are usually laced with layers of sarcasm, satire and the down right bizarre, but you're spot on there.

3 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

I keep hearing that, but when I check these new bands it just sounds like a rehash of everything I've heard before just not as good or memorable. Maybe I'm just getting old now. I'm starting sound more like Homer Simpson in that Homerpalooza episode everyday now. 

Yeah that's kind of why rock is dying, not much more to be done with it. At the very least combining rock with more and more electronics etc. is needed to push music forwards. More interesting music being made in more experimental areas of rock/guitar music imo.

2 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

"I used to be with 'it', but then they changed what 'it' was. Now what I'm with isn't 'it' anymore and what's 'it' seems weird and scary. It'll happen to you too".

I suppose everything is a rehash when it comes to rock, maybe it's been rinsed of it's creativity and originality and that's why it's suffering?

There's a influx of revivalist acts out there but if they do it right and with a contemporary edge, it can still be fresh.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

My point is really if you're changing what your festival is about to hit targets, then yes I have problems with that. Are we supposed to pretend cheesy pop like Miley Cyrus, Katy Perry and Carly Rae Jepsen are critically acclaimed acts now? What if say Robbie Williams was booked as well what would people be saying then? 

When I see Reading and Download getting stick for not booking more females, are they supposed to be booking Adele and Beyonce just to please people? Sadly there's fewer women in rock, seeing as cheesy pop is now filling line ups instead. Of course if acts like Bikini Kill and PJ Harvey are available then sign them up. 

What if Robbie was booked?

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Key word highlighted for you.

38 minutes ago, henry bear said:

What makes you think they haven’t?

You guys keep mistaking availability with the actual lineup-poster outcome. 

What comes in the lineup is not all the available acts in the world. They are acts that Glastonbury has approached and successfully negotiated with. For example, Lana Del Rey, has been approached, said NO to Glastonbury for whatever reason and said YES to been an exclusive elsewhere. It doesn't mean she wasnt available, it means Glastonbury has failed in the negotiations. (at least that's what some newspapers are saying) 

In the same way, if Ariana hasn't been approached at all, it doesn't mean she is not available. It means Glastonbury hasn't bother negotiating with her. (not saying is the case). 

Of course, I haven't been involved in any negotiation but I am inclined to think that neither of you have. So please explain how you know X or Y act wasn't available and give X or Y excuse. 

Hopefully I have been clear enough. If not please excuse me as English is not my first language. 

Edited by yosoyyoberdi
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

"I used to be with 'it', but then they changed what 'it' was. Now what I'm with isn't 'it' anymore and what's 'it' seems weird and scary. It'll happen to you too".

I suppose everything is a rehash when it comes to rock, maybe it's been rinsed of it's creativity and originality and that's why it's suffering?

There's a influx of revivalist acts out there but if they do it right and with a contemporary edge, it can still be fresh.

I do think rock is dying sadly, I think it peaked in the 80s and 90s really. There was that post punk revival period in the early to mid 00s were there were a few decent bands, but they're really hasn't been anything since then that's made an impression. Even in the underground scenes there really isn't much originality anymore either.