Worst line up in the last 10 years?

Xeph1995

1 minute ago, Garrett_Salas said:

Man goes to festival once and decides he alone knows what it's about

Been 3x actually. And it was supposed to be an alternative festival, but now it's getting more pop and will turn into Coachella. 

Not just me either. The reaction on Twitter was the same. 

Edited by Chinaski_

17 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

The Primavera line up is awful and a huge departure from what it was. I just wish everything didn't have to be politicised all the time. Festivals should book whoever they want without the likes of Lily Allen piping up and demanding who festivals should be booking. 

I think this years festival is an amazing line up, its diverse and reflects current trends in music. I fear you dont like it as it isn't as heavily centered around bands/alternative artists. A lot of crazy good electronic stuff, great pop artists and amazing djs's.

Personally I've never listened to a band because of what gender the members are. Some bands I like have women, so don't, some have no men. I just listen to the music. Don't get the big deal myself. 

7 minutes ago, Garrett_Salas said:

To people complaining about the gender ratio:

By probability you'd expect there to naturally be a 50:50 split on average for performers gender. This is not the case - have a look at festivals and check, it's not even close. Therefore there must be something structural stopping this - unless you believe that males are innately better musicians than females.

How do you work that out? 50/50 is the world population split, not the gender split of musicians. Males aren't innately better musicians than women, but there are a lot more of them in music. 

4 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

The problem with 50/50 is what if you're booking a band like Wolf Alice for example. Why would they count towards it if they're 75% male? How many 50/50 bands are there out there anyway? 

Most people tracking these things are actually generous and count it as long as there's a single female member so it's already skewed even easier for festivals to meet this target

Just now, Garrett_Salas said:

It says you've been to Barcelona once and none of the three you mentioned are playing Porto

I'd only go again for Porto is I didn't enjoy Barcelona that much, unless the headliners were that good. It was mostly about the undercard for me. 

I have been posting on here for 15 odd years and I don't think I've ever seen Sheryl Crowe, Miley Cyrus or Janet Jackson appear on a single wishlist once - and there have been thousands of those. Is anyone here planning on going and seeing all three of them?

I take the point about moving things forward, but in the case of Primavera, it just makes me not want to buy a ticket. The year I did go, the headliners were, looking back retrospectively, Blur, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds and My Bloody Valentine. I thought that was a pretty decent trio for £65 and they were all very good.

I think my 'problem' might just be with 'pop' music to be honest though.

Just now, The Martini Police said:

How do you work that out? 50/50 is the world population split, not the gender split of musicians. Males aren't innately better musicians than women, but there are a lot more of them in music. 

Sorry, I should have made it more clear that 50:50 musicians. The fact that there's more males than females in music is part of the wider structural problems. Like I said, I don't think the oscars should hold all the blame when their nominations aren't diverse enough - acting tends to be filled with white, richer folk so it's no surprise that they make up a larger chunk of the nominations, but it doesn't mean it's not a problem.

1 minute ago, Xeph1995 said:

I think the fact that rock is drying a death is a hard pill to swallow. 

For me it is anyway.

In the mainstream, maybe. But there are still some amazing rock acts around, particularly smaller acts. And there are some great benefits from them not being that recognised. Cheaper, more intimate gigs for one. Arena gigs are all well and good, but they can be a little soulless. Rock is alive and well, you've just gotta get out there and find it

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Homer said:

I have been posting on here for 15 odd years and I don't think I've ever seen Sheryl Crowe, Miley Cyrus or Janet Jackson appear on a single wishlist once - and there have been thousands of those. Is anyone here planning on going and seeing all three of them?

Depending on clashes I might.

I do fancy seeing Sheryl Crow and both Cyrus and Jackson fall into the "if there's nothing else on I fancy I might pop along" category.

Just now, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

In the mainstream, maybe. But there are still some amazing rock acts around, particularly smaller acts. And there are some great benefits from them not being that recognised. Cheaper, more intimate gigs for one. Arena gigs are all well and good, but they can be a little soulless. Rock is alive and well, you've just gotta get out there and find it

Oh I know but the thing is, there is something special about seeing a band you love headline a stage/tent at a festival I don't know what it is but the buzz in the atmosphere is something else I find.

I do love a small gig mind but Idk.

2 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Sod that, I prefer my rock to come to me.

2 minutes ago, Garrett_Salas said:

Sorry, I should have made it more clear that 50:50 musicians. The fact that there's more males than females in music is part of the wider structural problems. Like I said, I don't think the oscars should hold all the blame when their nominations aren't diverse enough - acting tends to be filled with white, richer folk so it's no surprise that they make up a larger chunk of the nominations, but it doesn't mean it's not a problem.

The important thing and potential problem to address is equality of opportunity. If that's limited for women (or a race or any other identity) then it needs to be addressed (and of course this does happen). If there is equality of opportunity but not equality of outcome, then there's no issue to address. Same applies to every industry and job role.

3 minutes ago, Homer said:

I take the point about moving things forward, but in the case of Primavera, it just makes me not want to buy a ticket. The year I did go, the headliners were, looking back retrospectively, Blur, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds and My Bloody Valentine. I thought that was a pretty decent trio for £65 and they were all very good.

I think my 'problem' might just be with 'pop' music to be honest though.

I'll definitely be going to see Janet Jackson but probably not Miley and Sheryl but who knows? Depends where I am at the time. Don't tell anyone but I went to see Dua Lipa over Richie Hawtin at Mad Cool, completely and utterly contrary to my pre-festival plan and all common sense. Did I make the right choice? No.

16 minutes ago, FakeEmpire said:

Re: Lauryn Hill's live reputation, I've seen her twice.   I saw her at Birmingham Academy in 2014 and then just a few months ago at the Arena as part of the Miseducation shows and thought she was absolutely incredible both times.

It's true that she does not play the songs as they are on the recordings anymore and so for casual fans looking to sing-a-long, they may very well be disappointed.  There's a lot of improvising going on with Lauryn visibly conducting the band as she goes.   From a musicianship point of view, it's absolutely fascinating to watch - the level of talent is damn impressive.    Her band are brilliant as well - they'd have to be to keep up with her chopping and changing the arrangements on the spot every night. 

If you go in knowing you're not getting the versions you know and love, and you just go along for the ride with what she's doing then it's a great musical experience.

I do think it could fall absolutely flat on the Pyramid though and she'd be far better suited to the West Holts. 

Thanks for this review! She's at Boomtown and Glastonbury. Wasn't sure where she'd be playing at the G, but agree West Holts seemed better. At Boomtown she's on the Lion's Den which is a pretty massive stage. Can't help feeling she'd be lost on it and would suit somewhere smaller.... Fingers crossed for West Holts, but someone on here thought she might be beyond their budget

My point is really if you're changing what your festival is about to hit targets, then yes I have problems with that. Are we supposed to pretend cheesy pop like Miley Cyrus, Katy Perry and Carly Rae Jepsen are critically acclaimed acts now? What if say Robbie Williams was booked as well what would people be saying then? 

When I see Reading and Download getting stick for not booking more females, are they supposed to be booking Adele and Beyonce just to please people? Sadly there's fewer women in rock, seeing as cheesy pop is now filling line ups instead. Of course if acts like Bikini Kill and PJ Harvey are available then sign them up.