Worst line up in the last 10 years?

Xeph1995

It's all subjective, isn't it?

I think Lady GaGa is terrible.   My gf is a big fan and so I saw her last year on the Joanne tour and I just don't get it.  There's no denying that she is a very good singer but everything she does feels so forced and insincere.  She's got one foot in cheesy pop and the other in trying to be a serious singer-songwriter (complete with hat and piano) without ever fully committing to either.

However, there are so many people that would say she's one of the greatest on the planet and it would be ridiculous of me to label her booking as "crappy" or "tokenistic" simply because I don't like what she does.

Obviously for some people this line up is amazing and that is completely fair.

I think this year the festival is lacking quite a few bands in the pot of who they can book, if you look at other festivals in the same vein as Glastonbury around Europe it's not looking like the strongest year for my tastes anyway. 

Still gunna be a class weekend regardless so.

Edited by Xeph1995

19 minutes ago, yosoyyoberdi said:

The issue is that instead of booking great female artist that are around (Lana Del Rey, Ariana Grande, Gaga...) they have booked crappy ones to fill the ratio. 

LDR - Latitude exclusive

Grande - Touring in America

Gaga - Seemingly not touring beyond her Vegas show

THE FESTIVAL CAN ONLY BOOK WHO IS AVAILABLE!! Why are people struggling with this?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Xeph1995 said:

Obviously for some people this line up is amazing and that is completely fair.

I think this year the festival is lacking quite a few bands in the pot of who they can book, if you look at other festivals in the same vein as Glastonbury around Europe it's not looking like the strongest year for my tastes anyway. 

Still gunna be a class weekend regardless so.

Agreed - People are allowed to think a line-up isn't great and even to say it's the worst line-up in a long time. Personally, I'm a bit dissapointed and it doesn't fit my tastes as much as recent years. Just let's not go down the route of "There's too many women clogging up the live-up" argument.

Fingers crossed for a few more guitar bands in the full listing. ?

22 minutes ago, yosoyyoberdi said:

The issue is that instead of booking great female artist that are around (Lana Del Rey, Ariana Grande, Gaga...) they have booked crappy ones to fill the ratio. 

I'd rather see Janelle Monae, Lizzo and Little Simz (never mind Lauryn Hill, Cat Power, Christine ATQ, Kate Tempest) than any of them.

Tastes differ.

Which one is the token female? The five-time Grammy award winning Lauryn Hill? The 100 million record selling, five-time Grammy award winning, Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame inductee Janet Jackson? The 50 million album selling, 9 Grammy award winning Sheryl Crow? I could go on...

Taste is subjective, every single woman in Friday's announcement is more than worthy of every slot they occupy. Why are we not taking the same tokenism stance towards any of the male acts announced?

• Upvote 6

26 minutes ago, yosoyyoberdi said:

Lana Del Rey said no, Gaga is unavailable (either due to her residency contract, health or not wanting to tour) and Grande doesn't appear to do (m)any festivals.

They've not booked crappy ones, they've booked ones you don't like.

Personally I believe in "tokenism" (or positive discrimination) as a short term measure in addressing and breaking the inequality in systems.  (Whether it has been applied to the lineup I don't know)

Edited by uscore

11 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

LDR - Latitude exclusive

Grande - Touring in America

Gaga - Seemingly not touring beyond her Vegas show

THE FESTIVAL CAN ONLY BOOK WHO IS AVAILABLE!! Why are people struggling with this?

Do you know how exclusives work at all? 

Touring in America? Really? Is that even an excuse? 

I don't know why some of you have to be constantly defending the festival, specially with poor excuses. It's like you got money in it or smt... 

• Downvote 1

Just now, uscore said:

Personally I believe in "tokenism" (or positive discrimination) as a short term measure in addressing and breaking the inequality in systems.

100%

Male music artists have had the privilege of fewer barriers to entry to the industry and repeated bookings at the higher end of festival lineups which leads to more exposure and results in a perception that they're somehow 'bigger' and 'better'. 

This won't change until there's a conscious action to book more female artists and to push them up lineup posters (like Primavera and Glastonbury for example seem to be doing).

Tokenism can stay as far as I'm concerned. 

10 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Which one is the token female? The five-time Grammy award winning Lauryn Hill? The 100 million record selling, five-time Grammy award winning, Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame inductee Janet Jackson? The 50 million album selling, 9 Grammy award winning Sheryl Crow? I could go on...

Taste is subjective, every single woman in Friday's announcement is more than worthy of every slot they occupy. Why are we not taking the same tokenism stance towards any of the male acts announced?

As said, I was only including Lauryn Hill because of her awful rep as a live act. JJ, I had no idea she had achieved so much. I thought she stuck out like a sore thumb on the line-up (I can literally name one song that she has ever done - Rhythm Nation - and I couldn't even tell you how it goes.). But if the majority are looking forward to her and are excited then that's fair enough, it's a great booking and I'm out step/wrong in that case.

I'm off to buy a ticket Blood Red Shoes at the Thekla (they're touring, have a new album coming and don't seem to have played the fest for over 10 years!).

6 minutes ago, TomViolence said:

100%

Male music artists have had the privilege of fewer barriers to entry to the industry and repeated bookings at the higher end of festival lineups which leads to more exposure and results in a perception that they're somehow 'bigger' and 'better'. 

This won't change until there's a conscious action to book more female artists and to push them up lineup posters (like Primavera and Glastonbury for example seem to be doing).

Tokenism can stay as far as I'm concerned. 

Primavera is kind of where Is started with all of this (their line-up is 50% female I believe). I saw the lineup and thought 'that doesn't look very good compared to previous years'. But as a fully paid up wooly liberal, that didn't sit well with me either (bar I decided not to buy a ticket). I haven't really figured out my opinion on this yet (evidently!) and it just occurred to me again when I saw names like Janet Jackson, which I personally, rightly or wrongly, thought looked anachronistic. 

Edited by Homer

54 minutes ago, D-Low said:

Have to agree with this aside from JJ and Laryn Hill. I went through the line up over the weekend listening to the names I’ve not heard of and they were mostly dire (not slaying the poster as there are some great names on there) and not just woman as well. Bcuc, little simz, stefflon Don, Rosalia, sons of kemet, lizzo, Jamaal Washington. Appreciate everyone has their own taste but sorry, not my cup of tea. 

Jamaal Washington?  I don't know about him, but Kamasi Washington is certainly not "dire"

10 minutes ago, SteveTLizard said:

Absolutely, how did all these grumpuses turn the "worst lineup in the last 10 years" thread into something so darn negative. 

?

Obviously it's the place to spout negative opinion (as I myself have done), but was referring more to the cries of tokenism etc.

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

15 minutes ago, yosoyyoberdi said:

Touring in America? Really? Is that even an excuse? 

It is when she's playing dates from March through to mid July. She has a US date on the Saturday of Glastonbury. How the hell do you expect the festival to book her?