Worst line up in the last 10 years?

Xeph1995

It's also not as if because a fair share of rock music was present in the past, the same amount and 'quality' should be there this year. A change would make sense, most upcoming acts wouldn't be classified as rock... And you don't want to endlessly recycle acts. That said, still some smaller, new rockish acts that haven't made it to the line-up of GF (but other fests), but got the feeling that's not what some people here are after. Think we have to accept rock is becoming bit more 'niche'.

51 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

When did I ask for it to be Download? The only band I'd see at Download are The Smashing Pumpkins and they've been at Glastonbury before. Maybe Tool as well. 

Why does "heavier" = Download or metal only? 

Im on your side chief

29 minutes ago, mcshed said:

Of which only Ride where on the original poster.  If you're expecting a handful of heavier acts you'll be fine if you want lots of them dominating the first poster release then Glastonbury is never going to have that.

I wasn't expecting it to be, but that suggests they'll all be hidden away on small stages rather than 1 or 2 high up on Other or Pyramid. 

5 minutes ago, mcshed said:

Just like the acts you enjoyed last time.

I know, but they've had bigger acts like Qotsa, Pixies, Smashing Pumpkins etc in years gone by. Looks like they won't this year. 

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

s it's a subject very close to Emily's heart I'm of the opinion that the festival made a conscious effort that the initial poster showed a 50/50 gender split. Whatever anyone thinks about that is a matter for another thread but maybe that didn't allow them room to announce many of the other acts currently booked? 

My thoughts exactly, I think the poster was released with fewer acts on it in a conscious effort to promote equality. I suspect there are still some big bookings not yet announced.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

I know, but they've had bigger acts like Qotsa, Pixies, Smashing Pumpkins etc in years gone by. Looks like they won't this year. 

It's just hard if they're not touring though, right? I know we all want Slayer on The Park, but looking at the Download headliners you're only realistically going to get Pumpkins, and sadly our good friend Billy Corgan is busy over Glastonbury. Tool would be ace, but they're considerably more alternative than most of the big rock names to grace the main stages at the G (apart from Metallica, but they're nowhere near as big and well known as them).

Similarly, looking at the big names on the RW lineup, I don't see anything particularly rocky. They have Pink headlining for goodness sake! Apart from that, a load of stuff that's on the Glastonbury poster, or names we had too recently and/or too frequently (Muse, bring me the horizon, elbow) or are just a bit shit (Mumford)

Even at Reading, the more rock acts we've had recently (Royal Blood/Foos) or tipped to have next time (1975)....and the rest are either on the G lineup already or are too small to be on the first poster.

I'm just struggling to think of rock bands as big as you're hoping for who are free and touring and would feasibly be put on the Pyramid 

Edited by Sasperella

22 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

Thing is you say first or second on the Pyramid/Other, many acts big enough to play that high up have either done it recently (Foos, Pixies), aren't active this summer (QOTSA), are busy elsewhere (Pumpkins) or are just plain shit (Chillis).

They can only book whoever is available.

EDIT: Just noticed Sasparella has pretty much said the same thing as me, just more eloquently.

Edited by Hugh Jass

2 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

It's just hard if they're not touring though, right? I know we all want Slayer on The Park, but looking at the Download headliners you're only realistically going to get Pumpkin, and sadly our good friend Billy Corgan is busy over Glastonbury. Tool would be ace, but they're considerably more alternative than most of the big rock names to grace the main stages at the G (apart from Metallica, but they're nowhere near as big and well known as them).

Similarly, looking at the big names on the RW lineup, I don't see anything particularly rocky. They have Pink headlining for goodness sake! Apart from that, a load of stuff that's on the Glastonbury poster, or names we had too recently and/or too frequently (Muse, bring me the horizon, elbow) or are just a bit shit (Mumford)

I'm just struggling to think of rock bands as big as you're hoping for who are free and touring and would feasibly be put on the Pyramid 

I thought Weezer would be on the line up given they're in the UK that very weekend. It seems very odd for them to fly over for one show. 

Other acts who are around this summer for example The Raconteurs (not sure if they're an exclusive to APE though), Teenage Fanclub (though they still could be), Iggy. 

It just seems very MOR in terms of guitars. Not Glastonbury's fault though, look at the way Reading has gone MOR too recently. Dull is all the rage. 

2 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

I thought Weezer would be on the line up given they're in the UK that very weekend. It seems very odd for them to fly over for one show. 

Other acts who are around this summer for example The Raconteurs (not sure if they're an exclusive to APE though), Teenage Fanclub (though they still could be), Iggy. 

It just seems very MOR in terms of guitars. Not Glastonbury's fault though, look at the way Reading has gone MOR too recently. Dull is all the rage. 

Weezer are touring Europe, they’re doing another European festival that weekend too I believe. Not saying Glasto won’t happen but it looks like that London date is them trying to cram a quick UK stop in.

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

Weezer are touring Europe, they’re doing another European festival that weekend too I believe. Not saying Glasto won’t happen but it looks like that London date is them trying to cram a quick UK stop in.

Yeah they're playing Eurockeennes and NOS Alive too. They'd be a great booking if they're at Glastonbury, it's not like they play festivals regularly over here and they'd get the crowds going. Reading 2010 was one of my favourite festival sets. 

1 minute ago, Chinaski_ said:

Yeah they're playing Eurockeennes and NOS Alive too. They'd be a great booking if they're at Glastonbury, it's not like they play festivals regularly over here and they'd get the crowds going. Reading 2010 was one of my favourite festival sets. 

You don't know, and neither do I, what goes on at Glasto HQ in terms of booking so there's little point saying "oh why didn't they book Band X?" They may be booked already, the festival may have tried and they've said no because the don't like the money/slot on offer, they just might not fancy it, they might want a break between sets, or alternatively the festival just doesn't fancy them.

If you must moan about the line up, moan about it at the end of May when the full fecking lineup is out.

You can't moan about the lack of *insert favourite act here* when all we've had is the initial poster of acts they've got signed contracts for.

All your meat and spuds rock may well be announced later, they've just not got it officially signed. Some might not want to be announced at this stage (other festival agreements, own gigs, etc).

Any smaller, newer rock acts will never be on the first small poster. That's not to say they ain't playing, they're just not announced.

• Upvote 1

I think Alice in Chains would be a good shout as they are touring a new album and are in Europe at the time but not hopeful.

I think people hit the nail on the head though not that many bands are touring/free atm.

I heard MBV where making two new EPs for release in summer, think they would be a pretty decent booking but that might be next year. 

21 hours ago, Homer said:

Part of the problem with the line-up seems to be fairly crap female artists (Janet Jackson, Miley Cyrus, Lauryn Hill, Sheryl Crow) clogging up some of the bigger spots in what appears to be (some) tokenism.

Have to agree with this aside from JJ and Laryn Hill. I went through the line up over the weekend listening to the names I’ve not heard of and they were mostly dire (not slaying the poster as there are some great names on there) and not just woman as well. Bcuc, little simz, stefflon Don, Rosalia, sons of kemet, lizzo, Jamaal Washington. Appreciate everyone has their own taste but sorry, not my cup of tea. 

• Upvote 1