Worst line up in the last 10 years?

Xeph1995

There's no one on there I'd be desperate to see if I was going, maybe the Chems, very bland and MOR for me. Shame 'diversity' doesn't seem to include rock bands though. Earache will probably be best stage again. 

7 hours ago, ace56blaa said:

i mean the whole reading lineup bar the alt stage is out for reading, i guarantee the glasto lineup will be better over all when complete.

If this was the first glasto poster, im pretty sure the fest would be cancelled ;)

reading-lineup-1.png

Very good point! I remember when this first landed and the horror it drew on here, but actually now it looks pretty well balanced. I would be tempted to go if I didn't feel about 15 years too old :lol: Even Rock Werchter's line-up looked a little suspect after only the first few announcements....

I know I may be biased, as I'm usually way more drawn in by the small stages that are never on the first poster, but given the reduced number of acts released, I really don't see it as being that terrible. Subs objectively pretty weak I guess, and I suppose the headliners would have had a bit of a wow factor if Maca was there (although he would have actually made zero difference to me....it would have just made everyone else complain less :) ), but overall there's already enough things I want to see that I'm worried about clashes and we only have 60-odd names!

Edited by Sasperella

The last couple of years every UK festival has had a shite line up, then the likes of Mad Cool and NOS Alive always looked stacked in comparison. Is it just laziness or do acts purposely avoid UK fests? 

1 minute ago, Chinaski_ said:

The last couple of years every UK festival has had a shite line up, then the likes of Mad Cool and NOS Alive always looked stacked in comparison. Is it just laziness or do acts purposely avoid UK fests? 

Nothing to do with laziness or avoiding.

There are far fewer big festivals in Spain and Portugal so these festivals can afford to hoover up all of the talent passing through Europe. Whereas in the UK acts have Glasto/Reading/Download/BST/Latitude/Wireless and many more competing for them, as well as the possibility of highly lucrative stadium gigs. It means the acts get spread out much more thinly in this country rather than being lumped into one or two mega lineups.

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

There are far fewer big festivals in Spain and Portugal so these festivals can afford to hoover up all of the talent passing through Europe. Whereas in the UK acts have Glasto/Reading/Download/BST/Latitude/Wireless and many more competing for them, as well as the possibility of highly lucrative stadium gigs. It means the acts get spread out much more thinly in this country rather than being lumped into one or two mega lineups.

True but even then there's bands on there that you don't see at any of those festivals, just seems to be tripe like the Courteeners, Kaisers, Gallaghers, Vaccines etc on a loop at every festival. 

6 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

True but even then there's bands on there that you don't see at any of those festivals, just seems to be tripe like the Courteeners, Kaisers, Gallaghers, Vaccines etc on a loop at every festival. 

They’re bands that sell well and always attract decent crowds. If there was no interest in them they wouldn’t be there.

6 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

They’re bands that sell well and always attract decent crowds. If there was no interest in them they wouldn’t be there.

True, but something different every now and again would be nice. That said, Reading struggles to sell out now as they book the same bands every year, rather than freshening up the line up. 

33 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

Shame 'diversity' doesn't seem to include rock bands though.

Do The Killers, The Cure, Tame Impala, Vampire Weekend, Two Door Cinema Club, The Good the Bad and the Queen, Idles, Interpol, Friendly Fires, Pond and Fat White Family not do it for you?

26 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Are there far fewer? Very competitive market in Spain. Primavera, Mad Cool, Benicassim, BBK Bilbao, Doctor Music, Cruilla, Sonar. I don't think it's too dissimilar overall. However, you do get major acts doubling up and playing 1 of those plus either NOS Alive or Super Bock in Lisbon (often the same weekend).

Edited by The Martini Police
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Do The Killers, The Cure, Tame Impala, Vampire Weekend, Two Door Cinema Club, The Good the Bad and the Queen, Idles, Interpol, Friendly Fires, Pond and Fat White Family not do it for you?

Nope. I like Interpol, but they're not great live. Saw The Killers in 2017, so have no desire to see them again really. Seeing The Cure and Vampire Weekend at NOS Alive, but there's nothing there that gets you bouncing. By rock I'm thinking faster and a bit heavier, not radio 1 'indie'. 

2 minutes ago, Chinaski_ said:

Nope. I like Interpol, but they're not great live. Saw The Killers in 2017, so have no desire to see them again really. Seeing The Cure and Vampire Weekend at NOS Alive, but there's nothing there that gets you bouncing. By rock I'm thinking faster and a bit heavier, not radio 1 'indie'. 

That'll come I'm sure of it, my take is that the initial announcement has been skewed a little to showcase a more diverse range of performers. The meat and potatoes stuff will still be there, just announced later.

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

That'll come I'm sure of it, my take is that the initial announcement has been skewed a little to showcase a more diverse range of performers. The meat and potatoes stuff will still be there, just announced later.

Some punk on during the day would be good, Dropkicks were good last time. Rancid or NOFX this year. 

I'm all for the gender balance being more equal, Kylie/Janet/Miley are all great booking IMO. The issue for me is that 4 of the top 6 Pyramid acts are all 2017 repeats (all male too), that's why the line up is somewhat unappealing and has no real wow factor for me personally.

If it wasn't for the women at the top of the poster it would be even more bland.

Edited by kingbadger
  • Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Absolute none of those bands do it for me in the rock department I'm afraid.  

5 minutes ago, GlastoEls said:

Anyone out there who’s active you’re still hoping for?

Alice in Chains or The Marcus King band would be pretty sick, both are in Europe around Glastonbury and have space in their schedule. 

These guys would go down well at Glastonbury I reckon. 

Edited by Xeph1995