Worst line up in the last 10 years?

Xeph1995

12 minutes ago, simonizer said:

what I have notice is that this years has about  20 less atrists on it than 2017 , and generally between 10 & 15 less than most of the others .

@JoBalls did the maths on another thread.

Number of acts on the poster:
2014 - 84
2015 - 78
2016 - 74
2017 - 86
2019 - 65

So I've just read the times article from earlier I posted. Alongside the comments about the beeb being disappointed by the lineup, they mentioned that Macca was in the running to headline but pulled out to tour the US. Lana del Ray also dropped out from a pyramid slot and apparently there were complaints (unclear from when)  from male artists that " they had been moved down the bill below lesser-known female artists so as to give the impression of a good balance of genders". 

Not sure what I make of this aspiration to have more female artists on bills. I saw Senser literally last night, so nothing against female singers, but way less than 50% of bands have one.

Part of the problem with the line-up seems to be fairly crap female artists (Janet Jackson, Miley Cyrus, Lauryn Hill, Sheryl Crow) clogging up some of the bigger spots in what appears to be (some) tokenism. My wife wants to see a couple of them though, so I guess some people out there are going to be happy.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

There's no way that Lauryn Hill or Janet Jackson count as a crap bookings when the likes of Bastille and George Ezra are on there.

Fair point!

Lauryn Hill I was more going from her live rep. My wife saw her a few years ago and said she was atrocious (turned up late;  did loads of covers; biggest hits were played differently to the single versions (Killing Me Softly as reggae)).

Edited by Homer

4 hours ago, Homer said:

It’s actually quite handy that Keith topped himself and the prodigy dropped out - otherwise we might have to go along and enjoy their performance instead!

I’ve got it all crossed that the chemical brothers come down with food poisoning too.

Whilst I can see you like Prodigy this comment is very flippant on such a serious matter, it's not something to be lighthearted about :( 

• Upvote 2

After sitting down and listening to a few a load of the artists I didn't know I'm even more disappointed.. literally full of pop and r&b and other shite. I'm hoping the next announcement has some actual decent rock not the shit indie landfill that has already been announced. Maybe some blues, reggae or ska wouldn't go a miss.

Even the artist's I've found that are decent but are very chilled, need some more high energy music. 

Edited by Xeph1995

45 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

Whilst I can see you like Prodigy this comment is very flippant on such a serious matter, it's not something to be lighthearted about :( 

I thought the point I was making was fairly clear but fair enough. I just tried to delete it but I can't edit it I'm afraid (maybe there's a time limit or something).

3 hours ago, Homer said:

Not sure what I make of this aspiration to have more female artists on bills. I saw Senser literally last night, so nothing against female singers, but way less than 50% of bands have one.

Part of the problem with the line-up seems to be fairly crap female artists (Janet Jackson, Miley Cyrus, Lauryn Hill, Sheryl Crow) clogging up some of the bigger spots in what appears to be (some) tokenism. My wife wants to see a couple of them though, so I guess some people out there are going to be happy.

For me the more even gender split is one of the stronger parts of the line-up, my biggest problem with it (as pointed out re Bastille and George Ezra) is that many of the male acts on the line-up are a bit boring/rubbish/I’ve seen them before. Miley and Janet are more interesting/rare bookings for me.

Yes less than 50% of high profile acts are females - I don’t believe that is because there are fewer talented women out there than men. Sexism is an issue in the wider music industry and festivals are a part of that. Over time I would like it to change. 

It has gone a little bit more towards pop,  rnb and younger acts than I would like though - but I’m hoping that will balance out in later announcements.

14 minutes ago, DJL said:

For me the more even gender split is one of the stronger parts of the line-up, my biggest problem with it (as pointed out re Bastille and George Ezra) is that many of the male acts on the line-up are a bit boring/rubbish/I’ve seen them before. Miley and Janet are more interesting/rare bookings for me.

Yes less than 50% of high profile acts are females - I don’t believe that is because there are fewer talented women out there than men. Sexism is an issue in the wider music industry and festivals are a part of that. Over time I would like it to change. 

It has gone a little bit more towards pop,  rnb and younger acts than I would like though - but I’m hoping that will balance out in later announcements.

Vampire weekend, two door cinema club, snow partrol, hozier... the list goes on and on tbf so dull

• Upvote 1

It's all about your personal music taste, isn't it? If you like pop, R&B, hip hop and slower music I can imagine the poster is amazing. Usually I've been able to discover a new band I really like every poster, like Future Islands in 2015 and Tame Impala/Wolf Alice in 2016, but nothing so far this year.

At least this poster doesn't have so many names on it compared to previous years, so hoping more hard rock and indie rock bands will be announced later on. 

Edited by Anarion

OK, so go with me on this. Across the mainstream media people don't seem to be too impressed. I didn't get tickets, so the more people unhappy, the more returned tickets and fewer people (hopefully) applying at the resale = Perfect!

So in the spirit of me getting some tickets... ahem.... "I think this is the worse line up I have ever seen".

Here's hoping.;)

53 minutes ago, Tom Connolly said:

the reading lineup is better than this year

i mean the whole reading lineup bar the alt stage is out for reading, i guarantee the glasto lineup will be better over all when complete.

If this was the first glasto poster, im pretty sure the fest would be cancelled ;)

reading-lineup-1.png