Worst line up in the last 10 years?

Xeph1995

7 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Terrible line-up means I can get down the SE corner early.

Then maybe do the crossword for a couple of hours until it kicks into life.

It’s actually quite handy that Keith topped himself and the prodigy dropped out - otherwise we might have to go along and enjoy their performance instead!

I’ve got it all crossed that the chemical brothers come down with food poisoning too.

Edited by Homer
  • Downvote 8

Any worst lineup talk is surely tempered by the addition  to the  lineup of Ms. Lauryn Hill, Surely?

There is no need to go to the Pyramid and the abhorrent show thereof

Here is a thing·................

Look Im the person who started this thread and now that the dust has settled the first wave isnt as bad as I first though but its still really weak apposed to other first posters. 

I know full well what the festival entails and have been a fair few times, I know there are more bands to come, I don't care about headliners though it would be nice to be excited about one? ill see the cure but It won't be a musical highlight for me. I know there is 100 other things to do during the day and I know the night at glastonbury is where some of the real magic happens.

It would however have been nice to have seen 5 or so bands or artists I was geniunly excited for which every other year had done (even on the first wave of announcements) 

This year has one act I am pretty happy to be seeing and that is it from the first poster. I am very much hoping that the 2nd wave injects something special. 

• Upvote 1

@Xeph1995 you don't have to explain yourself mate. Perfectly entitled to your opinions and anyone who hounds you with name-calling or whatever is weird. We all love Glasto, just seems some people cannot accept anything that isn't a fluffy pink comment full of positivity and rainbows. Very weird. Being disappointed is okay. I'm sure there will be some more stuff for you in the next announcement though. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Xeph1995 said:

Look Im the person who started this thread and now that the dust has settled the first wave isnt as bad as I first though but its still really weak apposed to other first posters. 

I know full well what the festival entails and have been a fair few times, I know there are more bands to come, I don't care about headliners though it would be nice to be excited about one? ill see the cure but It won't be a musical highlight for me. I know there is 100 other things to do during the day and I know the night at glastonbury is where some of the real magic happens.

It would however have been nice to have seen 5 or so bands or artists I was geniunly excited for which every other year had done (even on the first wave of announcements) 

This year has one act I am pretty happy to be seeing and that is it from the first poster. I am very much hoping that the 2nd wave injects something special. 

Fair does.

52 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

The Beeb are right though. From their point of view.

For the beeb it is massively about the headliners. That's where their viewing figures are biggest. Not for the rest of the line up (bar the legend I'd guess).

So true...the beeb mainly cover the Pyramid and Other Stage interlaced with a few offerings from West Holts, Park & John Peel. Completely misses the vibe for me. It's like getting socks yet again for your birthday ?

Last night I did my usual and went through BSR's playlist, picking out what I like or at least sounds like I may learn to like and moving them to my own playlist. It confirmed what I initially thought, very little for my taste, The Cure and Sheryl Crow being the closest thing to must sees on there with about 12 others I'd like to see but would not be arsed if I missed them.

There were though a few hidden gems amongst the strong rumours and self confirmed stuff down the bottom which gives me hope. 

The news that the poster is only the big 5 stages also gives me hope, nothing on there from Avalon, Leftfield or Acoustic so my festival could be made when they come out. 

The argument that it's not about the music is irksome. Yes, there's plenty of other stuff to do but I will watch at least 5 acts a day, that's a lot of time to fill watching someone make a spoon. I love the Caberet Tent and always spend time in there but who over the age of 12 gets excited by the circus?

One of my mates has stopped going because all the acts we were watching crop up at multiple festivals or can be seen for 10 or 20 quid, he just felt it wasn't worth the effort or money. I'm nowhere near that stream of thought, I just adore the place but it doesn't mean I can't criticize the lineup.

Having said all that, it's still not the worst poster for 10 years.

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Is that the first confirmation re. Macca being the original choice.

Lana del Rey pulling out is also news I think.

What does it say? I can only read the first few paragraphs as I dont subscribe. 

I usually watch 9 or 10 bands a day

6 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

What does it say? I can only read the first few paragraphs as I dont subscribe. 

‘Worst ever’ Glastonbury line-up dismays BBC

Grant Tucker

March 17 2019, 12:01am, The Sunday Times

The Cure headlined the festival as long ago as 1986 and 1990MATT CROSSICK

Save

BBC bosses are said to be disappointed after the unveiling of a lacklustre Glastonbury line-up that has been described as “the worst ever”.

The music festival announced its performers last week with headliners that include the Killers, the grime artist Stormzy and the Cure, who last released an album more than 10 years ago. They are festival veterans, however, having headlined in 1986 and 1990.

Other acts booked for the festival at the end of June include Kylie Minogue, Janet Jackson and the Wu-Tang Clan. But the BBC, which has broadcast Glastonbury since 1997, is said to be less than impressed.

“It’s the worst line-up I can remember,” said a corporation source.

“There has never been a more disappointing year.”

The BBC refuses to disclose how much it spends covering the five-day festival, Britain’s biggest, but it is estimated to be more than £1m. In 2009 it revealed that it had sent 415 staff to cover the event.

Tickets for Glastonbury cost £250 but organisers have struggled to book big names this year after a break in 2018 to allow the land, part of Worthy Farm in Somerset, to recover. Insiders said they had originally tried to secure Sir Paul McCartney for Saturday’s top slot on the Pyramid stage, but after much two-way discussion he declined, citing his busy US tour schedule.

The American chart topper Lana Del Rey, who had been expected to perform on the main stage, is also said to have pulled out.

Emily Eavis, who organises the festival with her father Michael, had earlier admitted that they had not been able to book Madonna, Fleetwood Mac or Led Zeppelin as part of this year’s line-up.

Glastonbury has also encountered problems of gender imbalance. Male artists had complained in the past that they had been moved down the bill below lesser-known female artists so as to give the impression of a good balance of the genders.

All three acts leading the main stage this year are male. In the past decade only three women have been the main performers on the Pyramid stage — the last one being Adele in 2016.

Organisers insisted that 42% of the performers are women across all the Glastonbury stages this year but one Twitter user said: “This really isn’t good enough, is it?”

4 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Organisers insisted that 42% of the performers are women across all the Glastonbury stages this year but one Twitter user said: “This really isn’t good enough, is it?”

Haha, I mean like I dont really like balance for the sake of balance, if your having to worry about having a an equal gender split then your not going to be booking thr artists you actually wanted for the festival 

4 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I usually watch 9 or 10 bands a day 

I think I was erring on the side of caution, allowing of T&C and pub visits .

Cheers for sharing the article, looks mostly conjecture and made up shite to be fair. Any article that finishes by quoting "one Twitter user" deserves derision. 

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

Their lineup for R1BW isn’t too distant from this one, and they’ve programmed that especially for their viewers. :D

Which is why I think this article is bollocks made up by a right wing paper to just take a stab at Glastonbury. 

If it makes getting tickets for the 50th easier let’s do it!

1 hour ago, chatty said:

I dunno. 2017 was Foo Fighters, Dead Kennedys, Warpaint, Pheonix, Alison Moyet, Alt-J, Fatboy Slim and The Jacksons. 

That looks a better choice so far but gonna be more added yet. 

I misread Sunday there. Yeah Sunday 2017 was shockingly bad for the evening. I went to bed at 9pm. 

And Jon Hopkins. 

On 3/15/2019 at 10:34 AM, briddj said:

Three times as many bands on the first poster for me compared to two years ago, when there were just four. And I loved two years ago. Actually more of a worry I'm going to get clashes though. Hot Chip vs. Killers. The Cure vs. Chems.

Same here , that is troubling me also .

14 minutes ago, chatty said:

That last comment about 42% female and then, its not good enough, is it? ???

I know, it's ridiculous. One minute insinuating the lineup is shit because all the good male acts are forced lower on the bill, and then saying there are no female headliners and a 42% split isn't good enough.

There is absolutely no pleasing some people. And by some people, I mean the fuckers at The Times. 

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

If you removed the women from off of the poster the line-up would be fucking chronic. Two Door Cinema Club ffs.

Ahaha, Two door cinema club are band I saw on the poster and my first thought was who the fuck are into these? that and snow partrol like so uninspiring.