Worst line up in the last 10 years?

Xeph1995

19 minutes ago, Fork_UK said:

The only relic, as far as I can tell, is The Cure.  Everything else is either current, longstanding/well established and continuing to be successful and popular or quickly up and coming.  

Even Kylie, who I nearly put down as another relic had a number 1 album last year.  I think they've done really well to make the line-up current without resorting to just the UK Charts.  There is a wide selection of genres, too, which is great.

I think the Killers are only there because of the chaos the crowds caused at the JP tent in 2017.  They could obviously easily fill the Pyramid Field twice over, so why wouldn't they be headlining?

The Cure are longstanding and well established too, are they not?

Anyway, what I'm saying is that a lot of the acts seem dated and unadventurous so using the "no it's you getting older" line to counter the people failing to get hyped by Sheryl Crow and Liam Gallagher isn't exactly correct.

For me the headliners are fine, although the jury is out on the Stormzy promotion still. The undercard just feels phoned in with a sheer lack of surprise. I do concede, however, that the few acts I might have been pleasantly surprised about - Wu Tang and Lauryn Hill, maybe more - were already at least rumoured on here so that's my bad for frequenting festival forums.

16 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

The Cure are longstanding and well established too, are they not?

Anyway, what I'm saying is that a lot of the acts seem dated and unadventurous so using the "no it's you getting older" line to counter the people failing to get hyped by Sheryl Crow and Liam Gallagher isn't exactly correct.

For me the headliners are fine, although the jury is out on the Stormzy promotion still. The undercard just feels phoned in with a sheer lack of surprise. I do concede, however, that the few acts I might have been pleasantly surprised about - Wu Tang and Lauryn Hill, maybe more - were already at least rumoured on here so that's my bad for frequenting festival forums.

I just can't imagine Wu Tang being good live, Every hip hop artist I've seen live has left my completely disappointed.  

And I do really like Wu Tang too.

I don't think Stormzys promotion was really warranted but i guess well see, my guess is they literally had no one else and were desperate. I listened to his album the other night after and was not that impressed. 

1 hour ago, Fork_UK said:

I've never quite understood why people seem to think the line-up is always going to be representative of their personal record collection.  How can the line-up possibly be crap?  Crap according to whom?!  There are no crap bands or musicians, only bands and musicians that aren't to your taste.  All this reveals is that you are getting older and that your personal tastes no longer reflect the current popular music scene.

At some point, you have to come to terms with the fact us older folk are now becoming the "What's this crap?" and the "Where's the melody?" generation.  We have to move over and let the young'uns have their headliners while we go and discover new music instead of listening to our same old albums over, and over, and over again.

Nah. The newer acts on the line-up are the generally the more exciting ones.  Happy to see the likes of Rosalia, Lizzo and IDLES booked.  It's the early noughties indie landfill lads that are lingering on like uninvited guests at the party.

I think we haven’t been given enough. 50 acts is a bit light to really get a grasp of the whole lineup and how it works in context.

once it hits full stage lineup time and you realise you’ve got like 15 acts a day you’d like to see (which I hold to be impossible). It’s then the lineup starts showing its strength. 

3 hours ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

How old is old enough to be in that category? Turned 24 last weekend and two of this year's Reading headliners go straight over my head, dreading the day that starts happening at Glastonbury :scratchhead:

Don't worry about it. By the time you get to my age, Vampire Weekend and Christine & The Queens will be playing the Acoustic, Idles will be on Avalon and Lizzo will be the Sunday Afternoon Tea Time slot. You'll still have fun.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fork_UK said:

I've never quite understood why people seem to think the line-up is always going to be representative of their personal record collection.  How can the line-up possibly be crap?  Crap according to whom?!  There are no crap bands or musicians, only bands and musicians that aren't to your taste.  All this reveals is that you are getting older and that your personal tastes no longer reflect the current popular music scene.

At some point, you have to come to terms with the fact us older folk are now becoming the "What's this crap?" and the "Where's the melody?" generation.  We have to move over and let the young'uns have their headliners while we go and discover new music instead of listening to our same old albums over, and over, and over again.

"There are no crap bands or musicians", I've heard it all now. There are loads crap bands and musicians and a few of them are on that poster. People have their likes and dislikes but music quality isn't subjective. I'm not some old fogey I'm 27 and I'm pretty underwhelmed. Bov Iver, Nick Cave, The Strokes, Foals, Childish Gambino, Four Tet, The Raconteurs all active and none booked. It's put a bit of a downer on my excitement. But it'll still be a great week, I'm looking forward to spending more time at the smaller stages this year.

Edit: just spotted Snow Patrol. Every time I look at it it gets worse.

Edited by Madyaker
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Madyaker said:

"There are no crap bands or musicians", I've heard it all now. There are loads crap bands and musicians and a few of them are on that poster. People have their likes and dislikes but music quality isn't subjective. I'm not some old fogey I'm 27 and I'm pretty underwhelmed. Bov Iver, Nick Cave, The Strokes, Foals, Childish Gambino, Four Tet, The Raconteurs all active and none booked. It's put a bit of a downer on my excitement. But it'll still be a great week, I'm looking forward to spending more time at the smaller stages this year.

Edit: just spotted Snow Patrol. Every time I look at it it gets worse.

Find another thread to vent in then. Becoming tiresome. It’s not for you cuz Nick Cave ain’t booked, super. The line up is what it is. 

15 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Find another thread to vent in then. Becoming tiresome. It’s not for you cuz Nick Cave ain’t booked, super. The line up is what it is. 

Yes, this. A lineup that is contemporary yet appeals to oldies and looks a good fucking time. That’s really what we want, right?? I think it’s awesome and salute the bookers. Don’t worry, we’ll be getting more “rock” in the next announcement. Guaranteed. 

• Upvote 1

Terrible lineup. There's 15-20 acts I want to see, this poster is a tiny fraction of the full lineup, and there's so much more to Glasto than the music. I'm going to need the monorail to be upgraded to high speed maglev so I can see everything ?

4 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Terrible lineup. There's 15-20 acts I want to see, this poster is a tiny fraction of the full lineup, and there's so much more to Glasto than the music. I'm going to need the monorail to be upgraded to high speed maglev so I can see everything ?

15-20  that you want to see of a lineup of 62 should not be viewed as terrible. I’d be happy with any lineup that possesses even a quarter of what I wanna see. 

23 minutes ago, HeyPorter said:

15-20  that you want to see of a lineup of 62 should not be viewed as terrible. I’d be happy with any lineup that possesses even a quarter of what I wanna see. 

I think they meant 'Terrible lineup??' Confused me for a minute but the rest reads positively, so I think it's just a typo.

1 minute ago, gfest2009 said:

I think they meant 'Terrible lineup??' Confused me for a minute but the rest reads positively, so I think it's just a typo.

I was trying to be ironic, but these things don't always come across online. Needed more emojis!

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, gfest2009 said:

A touch pedantic but you’re right. Could’ve worded it ever so slightly better. I don’t do typos. Think the point was made. 

7 hours ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

How old is old enough to be in that category? Turned 24 last weekend and two of this year's Reading headliners go straight over my head, dreading the day that starts happening at Glastonbury :scratchhead:

From T Rex to Stormzy, you are never too old or young for Glastonbury. 

39 minutes ago, yosoyyoberdi said:

"current popular music scene" "A lineup that is contemporary" The Cure, The Killers, Janet Jackson, Kylie... And that's the first line. 

Glastonbury looking more like an old legends festival.

Then you go below the 1st line. I mean, I'm not exactly what you would call with it but which of these isn't contemporary?

George Ezra
Miley Cyrus
Tame Impala
Vampire Weekend
Janelle Monae
Christine And The Queens
Two Door Cinema Club
Jorja Smith
Bastille
Hozier
Sigrid
Cat Power
Anne-Marie
Years & Years
Billie Eilish
The Good, The Bad & The Queen
Hot Chip
Stefflon Don
Jon Hopkins
Santigold
The Streets
Lizzo
Kamasi Washington
IDLES
Rosalía
Johnny Marr
Diplo
Rex Orange County
Little Simz
Michael Kiwanuka
Kate Tempest
Loyle Carner
King Princess
Jungle
Kurt Vile & The Violators
The Comet Is Coming
Interpol
Pale Waves
Friendly Fires
Sharon Van Etten
Pond
Sons Of Kemet
Aurora
Fat White Family
Maribou State
Fatoumata Diawara
Bugzy Malone
Low
Sam Fender
This Is The Kit
BCUC
Shura
Slowthai

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, Madyaker said:

There are loads crap bands and musicians and a few of them are on that poster.

People have their likes and dislikes but music quality isn't subjective.

Bov Iver, Nick Cave, The Strokes, Foals, Childish Gambino, Four Tet, The Raconteurs all active and none booked.

Says the lineup is crap and that music quality isn't subjective then goes on to list a load of acts which are dull as fuck (with the exception of Foals and Childish).

You just disproved your own point by using terrible examples.

If you want to The Strokes, go to a Strokes gig. As you say, they're active. I'd rather eat my own shoe.