Worst line up in the last 10 years?

Xeph1995

5 minutes ago, DJL said:

That’s good to know. Occurred to me afterwards we’re also lacking a Chic/Sly and the Family Stone/George Clinton/Jacksons etc disco or funk act compared to previous years. Hope that is rectified in the full poster. I was looking out for Giorgio Moroder (no idea of tour dates)

Mavis Staples?

A fee more announcements to come so Im hoping for Iggy in the metal/rock slot. Alice In Chains to pop up somewhere, The Specials and Toots and The Maytals. 

I dont see either of these but an acoustic set from either Billy Corgan or Tom Morello would be great. 

Jimmy Cliff and/or Nick Masons Saucerful of Secrets would be good bookings as well. Both on tour but long gaps around Glasto so no idea if they would be available. 

Then you have a few notable acts like Bloc Party, Catfish, Circa Waves, Pete Doherty, The Futureheads etc all on tour so a few of them to fill the indie/alt side up. 

That would fill the festival right up and something similar to those is very much achievable. Still have the amall stages as well. Truth will likely have a couple of nice surprises and The Glade usually pops up a couple of really good acts. 

Few secret sets. Just need a couple to be something I can grit my teeth into and get really excited for and Im good. Thwres plenty I like on the first poster, just nothing that I can put down as suoer stoked to see. 

51 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Mavis Staples?

I’m looking forward to seeing Mavis, having seen her at Latitude if memory serves... I think she’d be earlier in the day rather than a late West Holts set like the others. Chaka Khan is a good shout for that someone made on another thread

Been to every Glastonbury since 2004, and I don't know if it's my imagination, but the first poster this time around seems more Pop/R&B heavy than ever. I'm a bit disappointed that one or two of Doves, Strokes, Foals, Sundara, Catfish, Bloc Party, Hacienda, DMA's, aren't on there, seeing as they are all active this summer. There are 6 or 7 i'd happily go and see, but my only must sees are The Cure & Sam Fender. The festival seem to endlessly book Bastille, Two Door, Vampire, Hot Chip ...and having Killers, LG, & Stormzy back after playing last time seems dull. Maybe ive just been too many times!? .... or just getting old.  (I always love Hot Chip in fairness).

Edited by Franco Baresi

9 minutes ago, Franco Baresi said:

the first poster this time around seems more Pop/R&B heavy than ever

I think this is a consequence of a conscious effort to push this poster out with more or less 50-50 gender balance on each line. A lot of the bigger acts that feature women are pop and R&B. I would guess that it’s more difficult to carry this over to the full main stage lineup, ergo the rest of the names will be a higher proportion male, and a higher proportion indie rock.

• Like 1

I've never quite understood why people seem to think the line-up is always going to be representative of their personal record collection.  How can the line-up possibly be crap?  Crap according to whom?!  There are no crap bands or musicians, only bands and musicians that aren't to your taste.  All this reveals is that you are getting older and that your personal tastes no longer reflect the current popular music scene.

At some point, you have to come to terms with the fact us older folk are now becoming the "What's this crap?" and the "Where's the melody?" generation.  We have to move over and let the young'uns have their headliners while we go and discover new music instead of listening to our same old albums over, and over, and over again.

Edited by Fork_UK
  • Like 1

I’ve stopped reading social media because some comments have annoyed me and I refuse to engage in that sort of debate so I’d rather not read them.

I’m willing to bet that Glastonbury have tried hard to secure acts like Fleetwood etc. However it never crosses the non-festival goers minds that maybe it is the big bands that tell Glastonbury to fuck off?

The lineup and the event is magical because it hosts those who want to play and want to be there. A reason why some festivals feel soulless is because the bands are there for the paycheck! Lest we pray that glastonbury stays as far away from that as possible!

• Upvote 5

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I’ve stopped reading social media because some comments have annoyed me and I refuse to engage in that sort of debate so I’d rather not read them.

I’m willing to bet that Glastonbury have tried hard to secure acts like Fleetwood etc. However it never crosses the non-festival goers minds that maybe it is the big bands that tell Glastonbury to fuck off?

The lineup and the event is magical because it hosts those who want to play and want to be there. A reason why some festivals feel soulless is because the bands are there for the paycheck! Lest we pray that glastonbury stays as far away from that as possible!

Great post ?

9 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Amen!  They've said year after that Fleetwood Mac always want too much money.  Frankly, as much as I love "Go Your Own Way" and "The Chain", I'd' rather see the bands that want to be there. 

47 minutes ago, Fork_UK said:

I've never quite understood why people seem to think the line-up is always going to be representative of their personal record collection.  How can the line-up possibly be crap?  Crap according to whom?!  There are no crap bands or musicians, only bands and musicians that aren't to your taste.  All this reveals is that you are getting older and that your personal tastes no longer reflect the current popular music scene.

At some point, you have to come to terms with the fact us older folk are now becoming the "What's this crap?" and the "Where's the melody?" generation.  We have to move over and let the young'uns have their headliners while we go and discover new music instead of listening to our same old albums over, and over, and over again.

Do you think the lineup this year is pandering to a younger crowd? Most complaints I've seen are about how it looks like a relic.

If I'm honest, it's only Wu Tang Clan that are a must see from the poster but I couldn't care less.

It's a clichè but for me I generally have more fun bimbling around and catching random acts. The Blues is also a personal fave spot to while away the hours too.

11 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Do you think the lineup this year is pandering to a younger crowd? Most complaints I've seen are about how it looks like a relic.

The only relic, as far as I can tell, is The Cure.  Everything else is either current, longstanding/well established and continuing to be successful and popular or quickly up and coming.  

Even Kylie, who I nearly put down as another relic had a number 1 album last year.  I think they've done really well to make the line-up current without resorting to just the UK Charts.  There is a wide selection of genres, too, which is great.

I think the Killers are only there because of the chaos the crowds caused at the JP tent in 2017.  They could obviously easily fill the Pyramid Field twice over, so why wouldn't they be headlining?

Edited by Fork_UK

1 hour ago, Fork_UK said:

I’m one of the older folk, and don’t expect, or want, Glastonbury to be stacked with heritage acts. Indeed, as someone who saw The Cure’s first Glastonbury performance in 1986, to me it seemed slightly disappointing that they’ve been booked to headline this year. However, I do think that the names released so far have been fairly solid but rather mainstream and largely unexciting. Must-sees for me are few and far between. Of course, loads more to come though.

1 hour ago, Fork_UK said:

How old is old enough to be in that category? Turned 24 last weekend and two of this year's Reading headliners go straight over my head, dreading the day that starts happening at Glastonbury :scratchhead:

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy