Worst line up in the last 10 years?

Xeph1995

Just now, Garrett_Salas said:

I agree with the sentiment, but there does seem to be a big hole where I expected more American indie and hip-hop.

More will come. The top of the Glastonbury lineup is always dominated with shite like Bastille, George Ezra and Hozier because they’re local and so take off massively here. The stuff you’re talking about isn’t quite as big so will most likely be left off the initial poster. 

3 minutes ago, StevieGed said:

There’s not as much around this year. Shame I know with having the fallow last year and the 2017 poster had some huge names on there. But if there’s not as much around this summer, what can Glastonbury really do about it? They aren’t paying megabucks and I guess they get a lot of their acts signing up to play based on the festival and it’s ethos and not so much because of the pay off. If there are no mega acts touring, or just a decent amount of mid size acts doing the rounds, then it’s out of the festivals hands. 

I seen an awful comparison on twitter earlier between Glasto and IOW first poster. The tweet said that IOW had pulled it out the bag whilst Glastonbury looked poor. I don’t know how that assumption was drawn up as George Ezra headlining IOW may not even be a sub at G, biffy were second or third down on the pyramid on 2017 and Noel is headlining IOW whilst Liam is subbing Glastonbury. And if Noel was to show up on the farm you could assume now that it’s opening the other or nothing really. 

I think the broad expectations of the Glastonbury line up is that it has to be the biggest and best, otherwise it’s a failure and and disappointing. Look around all UK festivals this year and then compare them to Glastonbury, whether direct competitors or not, I don’t really know how frustration or disappointment can be a thing here.

I'd imagine the top 8 acts are taking the subs spots minus Miley and Kylie obviously but as a choice of America bigger acts I'm a fan there. 

Obviously IOW compared isn't as good but there are a couple of acts there I would choose over Glastonbury.

6 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

Genuinely slightly baffled as to what people were expecting.

I’m thinking the same. How could anyone even consider cancelling their ticket on the strength of this poster? It’s terrific and with the prospect of more to come I cannot contain myself waiting for June. All year we read that there is so much more that just the headliners or indeed the main stages yet mention the killers headlining and you would think Armageddon has just started.

for every cancelled ticket there will be loads of others desperate to pick it up. 

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

More will come. The top of the Glastonbury lineup is always dominated with shite like Bastille, George Ezra and Hozier because they’re local and so take off massively here. The stuff you’re talking about isn’t quite as big so will most likely be left off the initial poster. 

Fair point - perhaps US acts prefer to be announced later too (Is there any evidence of this?) as I guess they'll be more concerned with selling other summer shows over here?

Also, is Janet just not a big deal in the UK? Her North American tour last year sold really well and she headlined multiple US festivals, all getting fantastic reviews. She brings the hits and she can still dance with the best of them.

Also, the Michael stuff is completely unrelated to her. You don't see her out there issuing statements defending him, leave her out of his troubles.

A boring first announcement for me. Packed with acts I’ve seen multiple times over the last few years and have little desire to see again. Hozier, Years & Years, George Ezra etc, total dross. Gutted Foals aren’t there. I’ll pray for a secret set now.

But thankfully that poster is only a very small chunk of what’s on offer and I’m looking forward to having more time to explore the smaller stages!

As someone without a ticket I’m hoping loads of people look at that and decided to put their tickets back in the pot, personally there’s nobody there  who makes me gutted not to have tickets but there’s more than enough to keep me busy all weekend, never mind who hasn’t been announced yet.

i wonder how many will see the headliners as lacklustre and not look any further? 

For me, out of the headliners, only the cure hold any interest ( I saw the killers last year,and stormsy is just noise) and even then it would depend who they were up against, but that’s the beauty of G, it isn’t just about the headliners, but loads of people I know only look at the headliners.

i guess what I’m saying is I feel more positive for resale day after that poster than before, your casual G attendee may be put off going now.

Edited by Smeble

4 hours ago, Glastocat said:

If you are into your mainstream pop type acts and modernish RnB then I imagine it's pretty good. For me it's poor tbh. Not one act I really wanted to see there. Quite a few acts who I like and will go to see but I've seen most of them before, most of them at Glasto as well.

So, yes, for me personally it's easily the worst first poster I've seen since I started going in 2008.

You are setting the bar very high there; 2008 was my first and still best but hey ho; it's like a bad blow job, still bloody fantastic...

My initial reaction was one of disappointment. Not because it's necessarily a bad lineup but that it doesn't do huge amount for me on a personal level. There's nothing on there that jumps out me and screams "wow!" and while there's a lot of decent stuff on there I've seen all of it before.

It'll still be ace because it's Glastonbury, but I'm hoping future announcements throw something exciting into the mix.

Oh and no YYY's is an absolute pisser.

44 minutes ago, Garrett_Salas said:

I agree with the sentiment, but there does seem to be a big hole where I expected more American indie and hip-hop.

This just kind of shows you how they can never win....other people are complaining because there is too much hip-hop/RnB! Wu-tang are headlining West Holts and they have Lauryn Hill for goodness sake!

After complaining about the possible lack of my favourite artist, after seeing this poster I think I’ve turned a corner. Yeah, for some it’s really weak lineup, but this just got me sooooo excited for things to come! Good 5-6 names I wanna see and it’s only a tiny chunk of the whole.

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

My initial reaction was one of disappointment. Not because it's necessarily a bad lineup but that it doesn't do huge amount for me on a personal level. There's nothing on there that jumps out me and screams "wow!" and while there's a lot of decent stuff on there I've seen all of it before.

It'll still be ace because it's Glastonbury, but I'm hoping future announcements throw something exciting into the mix.

Yeah I'm the same. In previous years there's always been at least one act who'd I'd not seen live before (Flo, The xx, LCD) and the 'wow' was 'first time I'll see them live is at Glastonbury!'. Or an act I had seen before but love (Radiohead, The National, Chemical Brothers) with the 'wow' being 'I'm going to get to see them at Glastonbury!'. This year I don't have anyone falling into either category and that's definitely had an impact. 

1 minute ago, Sasperella said:

This just kind of shows you how they can never win....other people are complaining because there is too much hip-hop/RnB! Wu-tang are headlining West Holts and they have Lauryn Hill for goodness sake!

My point wasn't really about Hip-hop and RnB in general (well not about RnB at all - that's clearly well covered!), but specifically about American hip-hop and indie bands, I expected at least a few mid-to-big hitters from each of them. Wu tang are great, but not exactly finger-on-the pulse are they?

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

A list of their own favourite acts, basically. 

yup and this happens every year.  Some years the line up is fill with people you want to see and other years its not.  

Really gets my goat that people spit their dummies out every year.  You buy your ticket before anyone is announced, and if you don't like the line up you can not pay your ticket balance.  What more do people want?

3 minutes ago, bimblebee said:

yup and this happens every year.  Some years the line up is fill with people you want to see and other years its not.  

Really gets my goat that people spit their dummies out every year.  You buy your ticket before anyone is announced, and if you don't like the line up you can not pay your ticket balance.  What more do people want?

I like a good moan who doesn't?

1 minute ago, Xeph1995 said:

I like a good moan who doesn't?

You could be moaning about not having a ticket though.  Personally its about perspective.  I would rather be at Glastonbury with a line up not quite to my taste than sitting at home gutted because I am not there. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

All of the above. 

I'd only add that it gets a bit worse each time you look at it.

3 minutes ago, bimblebee said:

You could be moaning about not having a ticket though.  Personally its about perspective.  I would rather be at Glastonbury with a line up not quite to my taste than sitting at home gutted because I am not there. 

I'm moaning about both if that helps.

37 minutes ago, BeddyDriver said:

On the strength of the poster ?? 

Bellends,  should never have been going in the first place 

Precisely....think they were all fair weather fest goers to start with.....On the bright side it makes it less complicated for the 2 of us remaining ?