Worst line up in the last 10 years?

Xeph1995

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Given that a lot of acts work on a two year touring cycle, having a fallow year does actually increase the likelihood of consecutive bookings.

Sorry I don’t think I was clear in what I meant.

yes 2 years is a longer negotiating time for an act. But if they don’t want to tour and they don’t want to play glastonbury. Or it doesn’t fit within their own schedule they aren’t going to do it either way.

A longer negotiating time doesn’t really entitle the lineup to be stronger than usual I mean.

Edited by Matt42

19 minutes ago, Keithy said:

Way more to come to. The whole SE corner, more JP level acts, Acoustic stage (as don't see an obvious headliner there yet), Park will have more, etc. Far too early to judge yet.

The festival website says: "Following the previously announced Friday night headliner Stormzy, and the Sunday teatime legend Kylie, we can confirm this year’s final two Pyramid Stage headliners, alongside a first list of acts playing the Pyramid, Other, West Holts, John Peel and Park stages."

So nothing from Acoustic at all, plus Avalon, Glade, SE Corner, T&C, Arcadia... 

My first reaction was it’s not great and that is because there is no one who I’m really excited to see in the no way am I going to miss way. But when you keep looking there are still 10 plus I’d like to see there and as it’s been pointed out over 100 more to be announced to just cover the five main stages.

i love Glasto, can’t wait as always

2 hours ago, sisco said:

65 acts announced, 45 acts a day on the main 5 stages!! Loads and loads more to come

I think if it has been done like usual and not top lines 1st it may look better but this way just points out unfortunately how strong it can be at the top and weaker further down.

I kind of understand ‘newbies’ criticising the lineup (if they’re not that keen on the acts listed). What I find strange, though, are regulars who are talking about cancelling their ticket. 

At a guess, that first poster is showing something like 40% of pyramid acts, 30% of Other stage acts and 20% of JP, Park & West Holts. It’s nothing. And it only represents five stages. 

And regulars know this.  

Already plenty to keep me busy - Chems/ Cure/ Janelle all high on my list (tempting fate with a clash nightmare there aren't I...?!?) Some of the pop stuff will be really good fun and great to see such a strong female presence with Kylie, Janet, Lauren Hill. Johnny F Marr, Idles, Interpol, Hot Chip, Christine &tQs, Streets, and reckon WuTang will be worth a watch. Plus a fair few names I've been meaning to check out.

So, yeah, that'll do nicely for now.

2 minutes ago, anditmakesmesmile said:

I kind of understand ‘newbies’ criticising the lineup (if they’re not that keen on the acts listed). What I find strange, though, are regulars who are talking about cancelling their ticket. 

At a guess, that first poster is showing something like 40% of pyramid acts, 30% of Other stage acts and 20% of JP, Park & West Holts. It’s nothing. And it only represents five stages. 

And regulars know this.  

Having had a think about it I think a good portion of my apathy stems from how spoiled I was by 2017's first poster. Had a look over it again just now and before I'd even started investigating acts I hadn't previously listened to (i.e. Laura Marling), there was;

Radiohead, The xx, The National, First Aid Kit, RTJ, Royal Blood, Justice, HAIM and Avalanches who I was absolutely delighted with and would've considered 'must see'. On top of that there was more stuff on the undercard (Angel Olsen, Lemon Twigs, Moonlandingz) that floated my boat whereas this year just looks kinda sparse. 

Ultimately it's down to personal preference and while you're completely right about what's to come I suppose it's only natural that you compare it to previous years at this stage, unfortunately in that regard it's not a great year for me, so far.

50 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I think the fallow year is commonly misinterpreted. It doesn’t really mean that glastonbury has two years to work on a lineup. It means they just get a year off.

2 Years will not make a difference to who is around to be booked and who actually wants to do it.

Im not talking about the booking. Nore the perception that its much the same due to having a year missing when other acts would have played and it wouldnt look very much like the last one. 

If it hadnt been a fallow year then its likely a lot of different bands would have played last year and then those acts wouldnt have played consecutive festivals. 

There’s not as much around this year. Shame I know with having the fallow last year and the 2017 poster had some huge names on there. But if there’s not as much around this summer, what can Glastonbury really do about it? They aren’t paying megabucks and I guess they get a lot of their acts signing up to play based on the festival and it’s ethos and not so much because of the pay off. If there are no mega acts touring, or just a decent amount of mid size acts doing the rounds, then it’s out of the festivals hands. 

I seen an awful comparison on twitter earlier between Glasto and IOW first poster. The tweet said that IOW had pulled it out the bag whilst Glastonbury looked poor. I don’t know how that assumption was drawn up as George Ezra headlining IOW may not even be a sub at G, biffy were second or third down on the pyramid on 2017 and Noel is headlining IOW whilst Liam is subbing Glastonbury. And if Noel was to show up on the farm you could assume now that it’s opening the other or nothing really. 

I think the broad expectations of the Glastonbury line up is that it has to be the biggest and best, otherwise it’s a failure and and disappointing. Look around all UK festivals this year and then compare them to Glastonbury, whether direct competitors or not, I don’t really know how frustration or disappointment can be a thing here.

Only 66 acts have been announced so far. The 'main' stages (Pyramid, Other, JP, Park, Holts, Acoustic) have between 8 and 9 acts per day so around 150 acts, so only around 40% of the main stages have so far been announced, theres another 60% to come. And then there are the smaller stages as well. And then there is Thursday

Early days, life is cool

1 minute ago, Winslow Leach said:

Genuinely slightly baffled as to what people were expecting.

My thoughts too. 

Waiting for Elton, Elvis and Steely Dan? 

I'd be interested to see what a good, achievable line up would look like for those that have nothing of interest on this list.